NeoOffice :: View topic - CD distribution rules and discussion
CD distribution rules and discussion

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
For those of you that are familiar with the GNU General Public License (GPL), this may seem inconsistent with the GPL. However, it is not inconsistent. While the GPL gives you the right to copy, modify, and redistribute the NeoOffice/J source code, the GPL does not cover trademark usage. Since NeoOffice is a registered trademark, use of that trademark is not covered by the GPL. So, copying and redestributing NeoOffice/J must comply with the "no-profit" restriction described in the preceding paragraph.

This is a bit misleading; as I understand it all references to "NeoOffice" could be stripped out of the application and the program could be rebranded and sold under another name, ya?

Anyway.here's a thought..

Quote:
Note: This policy is fully consistent with the GNU General Public License (GPL). Though the GPL gives you the right to copy, modify, and redistribute all NeoOffice/J source code and binaries, the GPL does NOT permit you to violate NeoOffice's registered trademark. Therefore, any copying and redestributing of the NeoOffice product UNDER THE NEOOFFICE/J BRAND must comply with the "no-profit" restriction described in the preceding paragraph.

Some other thoughts:

1. Maybe (if appropriate) say "Additionally, all copyrights for the NeoOffice/J logos and other NeoOffice-related images are reserved by their respective owners and may not be redistributed except under the terms of the "no-profit" restriction described above."

2. Maybe also add for clarity-- "This is similar to Red Hat's trademark policy: You may redistribute GPL'd code from Red Hat, but you may not market or brand it as "Red Hat Linux."

We grant you the right to sell an officially branded "NeoOffice/J", but only given the "no-profit" restriction described above."

Anyway.. just some thoughts..

W
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject:

knutkja,

Can you post (or send me) a higher resolution image after you correct all the typos that have been posted in this forum? Your current image appears to be only 100 DPI.

Ed has graciously offered to print labels for me and his inkjet printer will produce better results with 300 DPI or 600 DPI images.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject:

I've got extra leftover labels from last WWDC. I didn't get invited this year (OOo had no booth) so I've got labels to spare Smile

For only 100 I'll probably do them on my inkjet and won't need to hit up a kinkos.

ed
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

The first time NeoOffice/J is run, it will ask you to register. Registration is not required, but if you find NeoOffice/J useful, we hope you will consider donating to help offset costs and support the continued development of NeoOffice/J.

Sorry to be behind on reviewing this but not too late to be helpful, I hope. May I suggest the additional sentence: "You can choose to make a donation at any time by selecting 'Registration...' from the NeoOffice/J Help menu."

pluby wrote:

NeoOffice/J Langauge Packs and Patches also use the Mac OS X Installer, while the Help Content installer is an AppleScript which must be run as a user with Administrator rights.

Correct typo in "Langauge" to "Language"

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Embarassed It seems Smokey neither spell-checked the original nor really read the revised version, only checked to see if the main points he was concerned with were still there.... Embarassed

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:

No worries. I made Ray's and Waldo's updates and checked in the file into the Neo/J CVS repository (so that I can include it in the installer build) as neojava/etc/ReadMe.rtf.

Patrick
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I've been fixing the label based on the response here, and posten the cd label and cd cover (front and back) on http://homepage.mac.com/knut_kjaereng/page1/page1.html so that you can take a look.

I don't have the font used for the slogan ("Bringing the power..."), and I'm not sure if it is wise to mix in further fonts/elements in the design, or it may have to be worked over again.

I have one fix left, I think I have to redo the NeoOffice typography from the splash screen. The one Dan sendt me is 72 dpi (since it was designed for the screen), and I think that it contrasts the other graphics on the label to much.

Please give response on the design (and cover text) as soon as possible!

As soon as it's ok'ed, I will put out the higher resolution versions for downloading.

Please also check what CD label sheets your using, if you want a pdf with the right design.

Thanks,
Knut
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Can you post (or send me) a higher resolution image after you correct all the typos that have been posted in this forum? Your current image appears to be only 100 DPI.

Ed has graciously offered to print labels for me and his inkjet printer will produce better results with 300 DPI or 600 DPI images.

Patrick,

Please see my earlier posting. If things look ok, I'll put the highres on the web, and post a notice here.

Knut
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:

knutkja wrote:
Please see my earlier posting. If things look ok, I'll put the highres on the web, and post a notice here.

The CD label looks OK except for one item. Can you replace the following text:

Mac OS X 10.2 (or better)

with the following text:

Mac OS X 10.2 (or higher)

The "or better" phrase is understandable, but sounds a bit odd to a native English speaker.

I only need the CD label right now. So if you can make the change and post the CD label, that would be great.

Thanks,

Patrick
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject:

A couple quick notes:

* "wordprosessor" is misspelled. It should be two words: "word" and "processor" (note the "c")

* Are the product names "Writer", "Calc", "Impress", etc trademarked by OpenOffice.Org? I remember reading somewhere that the Neo versions were branded "NeoWriter", "NeoCalc", "NeoImpress", etc. Is this correct?

* You mention that OS X is a trademark of Apple computer, but there's no reference to Microsoft's trademark (since its version of office is also referred to in the text)

* Do you need to say both "drawing and graphics program"? Couldn't "drawing" program work alone?

* In the mac world, the preferred term, I think, is "application" over "program".

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject:

The third image (the back?) looks a little too busy with the text running along the side edges. I think that text is suitably redundant that it can be deleted and make the back seem less crowded Smile

AFAIK Writer and Calc and whatnot are not trademarked by Sun/OOo, though I'm not positive. Jake is the one who started calling them NeoImpress, etc.

The text containing the trademark notice is the official Neo/J notice (found on the splashscreen--which doesn't mention MS Smile). The way we solved the "whose what is ® and ™ and such" in the Press Release is to only note our trademarks (i.e., Neo/J always appears as NeoOffice®/J) and to use the phrasing that everyone else seems to use, "NeoOffice® is a registered trademark of Edward H. Peterlin. Other product and company names may be trademarks of their respective owners." I don't know if there's room for that (even just the second sentence, since the first in in the official text) on that side, though....

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The third image (the back?) looks a little too busy with the text running along the side edges. I think that text is suitably redundant that it can be deleted and make the back seem less crowded Smile

Hi,

The vertical text is placed on the "back" (called "binding" on book covers?) or edge sides, and the back cover design is to be used with (I think it's called) "jewel-case" cd covers... So if the cds are stacked, it is possible to read Neo/J on the "back"...

(I'm not sure I'm getting this through...) Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
(I'm not sure I'm getting this through...) Smile

Ah, that makes sense. I just didn't see the little "fold here" lines Smile

Smokey

Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject:

I've posted the finished Neo/J CD label and cover: http://homepage.mac.com/knut_kjaereng/neolabel/neolabel.html
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject:

knutkja wrote:
I've posted the finished Neo/J CD label and cover: http://homepage.mac.com/knut_kjaereng/neolabel/neolabel.html

FWIW, in Linux's GNOME PDF Viewer 2.10.0 (based on Xpdf), there is a big black square as a background of the boat graphic and the words "NeoOffice/J 1.1". I didn't print it to see if it appears in paper, but it's there on the screen anyway...

W
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6