Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Open and Save dialogs are larger than screen size
Open and Save dialogs are larger than screen size

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheat
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Open and Save dialogs are larger than screen size

I have G4 running Mac OS X 10.2.6 with OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 under X11 Beta 3.

My G4 uses an external analog 19-inch multisync monitor. I set it to 1152 x 870 pixels resolution.

1) Whenever I use the Open or Save dialog boxes, they open with their title bar half way down the screen, and the dialog box windows are much longer than the screen resolution of 870 pixels. When I grab the title bar an drag the dialog box upward, the drop-down menus and buttons at the bottom of the screen are displayed blank with no legends. I have to click on a blank button hoping it's the Open button. I cannot read any of the text at the bottom of the dialog box. I also cannot grab anything at the bottom of the dialog box to allow me to change the box's size. I still don't know what the check boxes at the bottom of the Open or Save dialog boxes are supposed to do, because there is no text printed next to them.

2) Once OpenOffice.org is running, if I try to change the monitor resolution to a larger size on the fly, OpenOffice.org simply quits (crashes).

3) Whenever I open an OpenOfficeOrg Writer document, or create a New document, the window is longer than 870 pixels. I cannot see or grab the bottom line of the window display and I cannot see or grab the lower-right-hand triangle to change the window size.

As a workaround, I have to Maximize the window (green button in upper left corner) and then I can see the whole window properly sized and I can grab the triangle and change the size.

(There is no problem with other OpenOffice.org docs such as spreadsheet or presentation. Their windows always open shorter than the screen resolution.)

-------------------
Is this standard behavior for OO.org in OS X? Is there a way I can configure OO.org by default to open a new Writer window with the correct dimensions?

What can I do about the horrendously unuseable Open dialog box?

Thanks,

wheat
Operator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Partial workaround

I was able to reset the Open and Save dialogs to their default size by going to Tools:Options:OpenOffice.org:General and going to "Display: Look and Feel" and selecting something other than "Standard" in the pull down menu, clicking "Ok" to save the changes, and then going back in and setting the "Look and Feel" back to "Standard".

(I did a pretty good job of figuring this out on my own, IMHO).

I would still like to find a way to prevent OOo from giving me new Writer windows that are too tall for the screen resolution, though. Please let me know if you know how.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject:

Hmm...the only known fix is to go in manually and change the sizes:

http://www.ooodocs.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=577&highlight=bottom+screen

window sizes are stored somewhere in the XML configuration files IIRC. I think you may also some of the other general problems with OOo and Apple X11 beta 3 relating to window size issues. It's a problem with quartz-wm trying to be clever about making windows miss the menubar and OOo being clever and trying to put windows in the exact same places they were last time they were used...results in a fun little window creep and some sizing dilemmas. Similar issues make 1.1 unusable with Apple X11 beta 3 with the result that the mouse is near unusable for menus, etc. Sad

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Open and Save dialogs are larger than screen size

wheat wrote:
I have G4 running Mac OS X 10.2.6 with OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 under X11 Beta 3.

My G4 uses an external analog 19-inch multisync monitor. I set it to 1152 x 870 pixels resolution.

1) Whenever I use the Open or Save dialog boxes, they open with their title bar half way down the screen, and the dialog box windows are much longer than the screen resolution of 870 pixels. When I grab the title bar an drag the dialog box upward, the drop-down menus and buttons at the bottom of the screen are displayed blank with no legends. I have to click on a blank button hoping it's the Open button. I cannot read any of the text at the bottom of the dialog box. I also cannot grab anything at the bottom of the dialog box to allow me to change the box's size. I still don't know what the check boxes at the bottom of the Open or Save dialog boxes are supposed to do, because there is no text printed next to them.

Feel free add your comments to existing bug reports for the problems :

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=17537
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=14144

Regards, Terry
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1