· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Failed to mount; error 199
Failed to mount; error 199

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KassKnits

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Failed to mount; error 199

I'm a brand new Mac user, only for the last five days, so I beg for mercy, please have patience with me.

I downloaded NeoOffice and after it downloaded it's now a .dmg file. I clicked on it to install and got the message:

The following disk images failed to mount. Error 199.

FYI, I'm using a Mac Mini (G4) with 512MB RAM, and Panther 10.3.7

This is also the second piece of software I've downloaded. The first one installed beautifully.

Help. Please.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject:

Probably should let Pat or ed answer this one, but my guess is that your download got corrupted somehow and that you should try to download again. Hopefully you're not on 56k dial-up. Sad
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
Probably should let Pat or ed answer this one, but my guess is that your download got corrupted somehow and that you should try to download again. Hopefully you're not on 56k dial-up. Sad

My thoughts exactly. If you can't download it again easily, try comparing the checksum with one from your file. They should be identical and will probably not match when your file is corrupted

If you are sure it should work, you might try the Disk Utility. It is in /application/utlities. You can use it to recover damaged .dmg files. Of course, if the file is corrupted, the contents will probably not work properly..

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
but my guess is that your download got corrupted somehow and that you should try to download again.

This seems to be a common problem with Safari, and it's probably exacerbated by the size at popularity of the Neo/J download (though the latter not so much at the moment, as the initial surge of a new version is over).

There are instructions for using the command-line reuseable download tool "curl" on the Download page if you feel comfortable using the terminal; you might even be able to use curl to pick up where the previous download attempt left off, but I'm not sure....

Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject:

For people who prefer not to use the terminal for this, the freeware version of Download Wizard works fine - copy the url of the file you want out of your browser (ctrl-click or rightclick the link) and paste it into the Download wizard window. If you lose the connection part way through, reconnect and it will carry on from where it left off.

A list of alternatives, mostly shareware, is available from pure-mac

Luke
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Luke wrote:
For people who prefer not to use the terminal for this, the freeware version of Download Wizard works fine - copy the url of the file you want out of your browser (ctrl-click or rightclick the link) and paste it into the Download wizard window. If you lose the connection part way through, reconnect and it will carry on from where it left off.

A list of alternatives, mostly shareware, is available from pure-mac

Luke

Let's not forget our friend, the Torrent. I'm seeding when I can for both the RC and its latest patch (3 for now).

James
[/list]
RGH
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject:

I have seen mention of the Torrent before and don't know what it is. Can someone explain.

Thanks in advance.

Rob Heather
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject:

RGH wrote:
I have seen mention of the Torrent before and don't know what it is. Can someone explain.

BitTorrent is a way of distributed downloading, halfway between FTP and P2P filesharing software, such as Gnutella or Limewire.

for more information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent
for a good client, see http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

Good luck!

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject:

If you have your download, you can check your MD5 sum to see whether it's corrupted. BitTorrent has hashes built in and should automatically be able to verify file integrity without going through an additional MD5 process.

If you don't want to use a Terminal, here's a graphical MD5 digest generator:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12550

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I don't actually see MD5 sums at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php, just filesizes.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Ah, I thought we had them up there. Ah well...something to note for the future. We really should put them up there Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Ah, I thought we had them up there. Ah well...something to note for the future. We really should put them up there Smile

I'll add that to the bug I have open on planamesa.com website issues. Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Thank you.

I used Download Wizard, re-downloaded NeoOffice and it works just great.

Thank you for your suggestions and help.

I even ventured into the terminal window, as someone mentioned. Not quite my element (yet) but that's great information to have, again thank you.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject:

Indeed, take your time with the Terninal, very powerful but can be disasterous if you play too wildly Wink

Yep, every once in a while something gets corrupted during d/l for some inexplicable reason, it just happens. Glad it's working! It really is a nice program! People will continue to complain rightly or wrongly until they are satisfied with the "Big 2" as I call them:

1. SPEED (even launching time which is silly but I like to pull pat's chain)

2. Ease Of Use. Since it's foundation comes from the "dark side", wishful thinking there! Afterall, that's what makes a Mac a Mac.
KassKnits

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: From the darkside

Well I crossed over from the darkside. lol

I ran OpenOffice for almost two years. My version of MS Office became unuseable along with the disc it came on. I was thrilled with OpenOffice (still am), especially since at the time I was penniless and needed an office suite.

What amazes me, is that I paid $250 for a full blown version of Adobe Acrobat to make pdf files, while OpenOffice does it better, easier, and for free! I made more pdf files with OpenOffice than I ever did with Acrobat. There were times when I should have fully formatted my hard disk to repair it but I couldn't bring myself to do it with a $250 program on it (the CD was stolen from my car during a move) even though I never used it. Rolling Eyes

My PC gave it's final drama death scene, so I switched to Mac. AppleWorks (I like it) doesn't open my OpenOffice files from my PC, hence NeoOffice.

I have no issues or complaints with either OpenOffice or NeoOffice, especially speed. My new Mac is a sleek throughbred compaired to the pack mule on tranqualizers that was my PC. I just "timed" opening NeoOffice - took a whopping 10 seconds, maybe 15 if I paused too long between numbers. Perhaps I'm too laid back, too Zen, but it's quick enough for me.

Ease of use? I have no problems using it. I read the menus before I click.
Wink

I've had enough computer disasters to last me a life time so perhaps in my next life I'll play around with Terminal.

To all that made OpenOffice and NeoOffice possible - I thank you. Your work is appreciated.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1