· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Also can't get it to install
Also can't get it to install

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChristopherD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Also can't get it to install

Running 10.3.8 with all latest Apple-provided updates. On a Powerbook G4 1.25 GHz, 21GB of free hard drive space, 2GB RAM. BSD subsystem is installed and reinstalled. BSD.pkg file is in /Library/Receipts.

Installer says I cannot install on this drive. I've tried running the installer from the disk image, copied to my desktop and run from there, and copied to /Applications and run from there. Same error message every time.
ChristopherD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Whoops. Sorry. Thought I had posted this as a reply to the other thread on the same issue. Should also point out that yes, I have read the wiki link re: this subject. Still no go for me.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Are you sure that you have Neo/J 1.1 Beta already installed in /Applications? The patch installer will not install over pre-Beta releases of Neo/J and, of course, since this is a patch installation, you have to already have a full Neo/J installation already installed.

If you already have the full Neo/J 1.1 Beta installation in /Applications, please post the messages in the /Applications/Utilities/Console application.

Patrick
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject:

Hi

How do I know which one I have?

meaning: alpha, beta or pre-beta

Thanx.
jjmckenzie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject:

tomek_wap wrote:
Hi

Thanx.

If you have NeoOffice/J installed, click on Help -> About and you will get a window that tells you the version you have installed. If you have not installed NeoOffice/J, look in the Applications folder for a NeoOffice program. It should not be there. If it is, move it to the trash (this is how you uninstall the program too, if you do not want it on your machine.)

James
Sunny Southern Arizona.
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanx, but the problem is that NeoOffice won't run at all, so I cannot check the version.
jjmckenzie

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:

tomek_wap wrote:
Hi

Thanx.

If you have NeoOffice/J installed, click on Help -> About and you will get a window that tells you the version you have installed. If you have not installed NeoOffice/J, look in the Applications folder for a NeoOffice program. It should not be there. If it is, move it to the trash (this is how you uninstall the program too, if you do not want it on your machine.)

James
Sunny Southern Arizona.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject:

tomek_wap wrote:
Thanx, but the problem is that NeoOffice won't run at all, so I cannot check the version.

In the Finder, select the NeoOffice/J application and do File: Get Info (cmd-i). That will tell you the version of NeoOffice/J.

Are there any messages in the Console log when you try to start Neo/J? Go to /Applications/Utilities and open Console, then try launching Neo/J and see if any new messages appear in Console.log.

Which version of Mac OS X are you running? Have you installed the Java Update if you are running Mac OS X 10.3.9?

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Just shows version 1.1 Release Candidate

Message from console:

/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/setup: line 98: tar: command not found

/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/setup: line 98: tar: command not found

Error: Installation of files in the /Users/user_id/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user directory failed

Usage: /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/setup [-h] [-locale <locale>] [-repair]

Error: Installation of files in the /Users/user_id/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user directory failed

Usage: /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/setup [-h] [-locale <locale>] [-repair]

OS X 10.3.9, all updates are up to date including Java.

Ubuntu 5 PPC | OS X 10.3.9 | G4 1.25Ghz | 768mb RAM | ATI R9200 + G3 233mhz | 288mb RAM
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject:

You seem to be missing "tar", which is a key UNIX command necessary for operation of many things, including installation and setup of Neo/J.

You should reinstall the "BSD Subsystem" from your 10.3 install disk; you might also want to re-apply the 10.3.9 Update afterwards, in case any of the BSD commands were updated in the security or point-update releases since 10.3.0.

See the wiki article NeoOffice/J Installation Issues for more info on reinstalling the BSD subsystem.

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject:

tar command exists, just checked under terminal (checked before too).

BSD subsystem is installed (installed it 3 times, once with Dev. Tools), and 10.3.9 re-applied also.

nothing...

Ubuntu 5 PPC | OS X 10.3.9 | G4 1.25Ghz | 768mb RAM | ATI R9200 + G3 233mhz | 288mb RAM
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject:

OK, so I just looked at that script file, and line 98 where it's "failing" seems to be where it makes a backup of a corrupt profile directory.

If you go to /Users/{your_username}/Library/, are there lots of NeoOfficeJ-1.1.backup.{date-like numbers} files? Is there a NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder at all?

If you remove the NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder and try to start Neo/J, what happens (console msgs if appropriate)?

This is a very odd situation...is your user directory in some non-standard location?

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject:

"If you go to /Users/{your_username}/Library/, are there lots of NeoOfficeJ-1.1.backup.{date-like numbers} files? Is there a NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder at all? "

There is only the NeoOffice 1.1 folder, with user folder inside, which has registry folder , then cache folder, then two files: org.openoffice.Inet.dat, org.openoffice.Setup.dat.

"This is a very odd situation...is your user directory in some non-standard location"
It is as normal.

Removed that folder, and colsole shows:

May 4 11:52:32 crashdump: Unable to determine CPSProcessSerNum pid: 1159 name: soffice.bin

May 4 11:52:32 crashdump: Started writing crash report to: /Users/user_id/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.crash.log

May 4 11:52:34 crashdump: Finished writing crash report to: /Users/user_id/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.crash.log

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject:

tomek_wap wrote:
tar command exists, just checked under terminal (checked before too).

Where is the tar command on your system? The Neo/J scripts expect it to be in one of the following four directories:

/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/bin
/sbin

Patrick
tomek_wap
Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:

tar command seems to work under terminal, but its not in any of the directories you've mentioned.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3