· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New Feature Wish: Word Count WordService
New Feature Wish: Word Count WordService

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodmin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: New Feature Wish: Word Count WordService

Dear Developers and Everybody

NeoOffice is a great piece of work (imho) and I use it daily.
What is missing for me is only to be able to count text in a funtional way. The counter in NeoOffice counts all signs of the document including corrections, whether displayed or not.
There is a great tool for OS X, WordService, that counts marked text in all OS X Applications.
I don't know how much work this would be to you, but it would be really great if you could make this service work for NeoOffice as well.

Thank you for NeoOffice
and all the best

Goodmin
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: New Feature Wish: Word Count WordService

Goodmin wrote:
Dear Developers and Everybody

What is missing for me is only to be able to count text in a funtional way. The counter in NeoOffice counts all signs of the document including corrections, whether displayed or not.
There is a great tool for OS X, WordService, that counts marked text in all OS X Applications.
I don't know how much work this would be to you, but it would be really great if you could make this service work for NeoOffice as well.

Thank you for NeoOffice
and all the best

Goodmin

Actually WordService does not work in all Mac OS X applications - Services are only supported by Cocoa applications by default and some Carbon apps (which requires the support to be coded into the app). Although it would be awesome if NeoOfficeJ could support (all) Services, I suspect that this would demand an awfully large effort on the part of Patrick or Ed to implement and there are probably much higher priorities on their list of things to do at present. Sadly this is likely to be one for the (very) distant future I suspect.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New Feature Wish: Word Count WordService

Goodmin wrote:

There seems to be at least one improved word counter at http://www.ooomacros.org/user.php

edwardfox
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject:

I second the request for a tool that can count selected text within a document.

I tried to install the macro cited above (written by journalist Andrew Brown) but it caused NeoOffice J to crash. If it works in NeoOffice J, I can't work out how. (I used to use this macro with OOo for Windows, and it was tricky to install but it worked. Now I note that OOo for Windows has a simpler tool that does the same thing built in.)

I use NeoOffice J every day.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject:

edwardfox wrote:
I second the request for a tool that can count selected text within a document.

Unfortunately, developer time is limited, and I don't think Ed and Patrick have time to spare. I hope someone with OO Basic skills can look into the crash. Otherwise, I would file a request with Openoffice.org

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject:

edwardfox wrote:
I tried to install the macro cited above (written by journalist Andrew Brown) but it caused NeoOffice J to crash. If it works in NeoOffice J, I can't work out how. (I used to use this macro with OOo for Windows, and it was tricky to install but it worked.

It seems that macro developers sometimes make assumptions that don't account for the way OOo installs/works on other platforms; we've seen at least one other macro that won't install on Mac OS X (either Neo/J or X11), and changes between versions have broken things (Sun's changes between 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 broke a number of macros on Mac OS X). Your best bet is to report the problem to the developer.

OTOH, there's another word count macro I found that seems to work; I don't know if it will do everything Andrew Brown's will, but.... http://www.8daysaweek.co.uk/files/dls/InstallWordCount.sxc

edwardfox wrote:
Now I note that OOo for Windows has a simpler tool that does the same thing built in.)

In 1.1.4 or in the 1.9.xxx developer milestones?

As ovvldc and JKT have mentioned already, developer time on Neo/J is already limited, and Apple's forthcoming switch to Intel-based Macs will require an enormous amount of time and effort, so all feature requests will likely be deferred for some time....

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks very much for this. I'll try this macro and report back.

The word count feature that I am craving was available on OOo 1.1.4, which I was using up until April when I got a Mac. (Mac Mini, by the way)
edwardfox
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:

No, it doesn't work, and it crashes the program. "Error loading basic of document... general error... general input output error." Actually, that's the word count macro I was using with OOo 114.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject:

edwardfox wrote:
No, it doesn't work, and it crashes the program. "Error loading basic of document... general error... general input output error." Actually, that's the word count macro I was using with OOo 114.

I just installed the macro with Neo/J 1.1 RC plus "Patch-8" and it works fine.

I suspect that all of those "general error" messages are caused by Neo/J being moved from its original installation location. Like OOo on Windows, this causes all sorts of bad things to happen in the OOo code.

Patrick
edwardfox
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject:

I'm encouraged that you got it to work. What you say about 'original installation location' inclines me to think that I might have installed the program contra to the existing instructions.
edwardfox
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject:

postscript: I'm using neooffice j 1.1 rc patch 8 too.

Thanks for your assistance.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject:

edwardfox wrote:
I'm encouraged that you got it to work. What you say about 'original installation location' inclines me to think that I might have installed the program contra to the existing instructions.

If you still have NeoOffice/J installed with the name "NeoOfficeJ" in the /Applications folder, then installation is OK. It is only when you rename it or move the "NeoOfficeJ" icon to a different folder that the OOo code can get weird.

If you don't have any other custom macros installed, you might want to try closing Neo/J, moving your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder, restarting Neo/J, and then reinstalling the macro. These steps reset your user preferences to the default values.

Patrick
edwardfox
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:

Success! Thanks very much. My only remaining question is, having moved the neoofficej folder out of the library (and onto the desktop) I now have two library/neoofficej folders. What do I do with the folder on the desktop? Should I put it back where it was (ie, over the new library/neoofficej folder), or delete it, or leave it where it is. Obviously, everything will work if I just leave it where it is.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject:

If you didn't have any custom macros or other custom preferences, you can delete the old folder. I only had you rename the old folder so that you be able to retrieve any custom settings if you needed to.

Patrick
edwardfox
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject:

that's great. thanks so much. as far as i'm concerned neoofficej now does everything I want it to do. Just for the record, I'm a writer, I did English at university: I have no use for spreadsheets &c, I want something that can handle large text documents and not crash and not slow down inexplicably after a few hours: this is usually when I'm writing fastest. This is why I gave up on MS Word.

BTW, I've tried turning off the auto-complete feature, but it won't obey the command.

Anyway, never mind, that's enough from me. Good night.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2