Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Offtopic Guest Ranting (was: trouble installing NeoOffice/J)
Offtopic Guest Ranting (was: trouble installing NeoOffice/J)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Offtopic Guest Ranting (was: trouble installing NeoOffice/J)

I know a solution that the programmers can use to fix your problem.

WRITE IT SO THAT WE CAN DO A DRAG INSTALL.

Honestly, there is *NO* excuse for an application like this to require an installer. NONE. If you think otherwise, you don't "get" macs. I don't care how good you are at programming them.
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject:

It happens every now and then.

Some anonymous guest swings by this "Support" forum, jumps in the middle of a thread, and shouts their opinion (in all capitals) but fails to back it up with either the offer of programming skills or hard cash to support that opinion which they are so free to express.

This project is run on a volunteer basis and, like many voluntary projects, is under-resourced. Hurling what amounts to thinly veiled abuse disguised as an uninformed opinion contributes little or nothing to any endeavour and probably would have been better left unsaid.

If you think otherwise, you don't "get" F/LOSS. Despite which, you'll be perfectly prepared to take benefit from it, I'm sure.

In the meantime, please feel free to make use of the "Ranting" forum provided here to express these views,, rather than jump in the middle of another user's Support thread with an off-topic posting.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Pfft. Why can't Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" be a drag install? Or QuickTime 7? Or the iSight Updaters? Or the CHUD utilities? Why do they all use this strange Installer.app thing or their own custom applpications to install?

There are technical limitations that prevent either NeoJ or OOo from being compatible with a drag install style approach. Not even Apple can follow their own HI guidelines, so quit complaining.

Perhaps I should allow anonymous posting only after moderation to filter out asshats ??

ed
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Solution

Anonymous wrote:
I know a solution that the programmers can use to fix your problem.

WRITE IT SO THAT WE CAN DO A DRAG INSTALL.

Honestly, there is *NO* excuse for an application like this to require an installer. NONE. If you think otherwise, you don't "get" macs. I don't care how good you are at programming them.

What a penis.

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Perhaps I should allow anonymous posting only after moderation to filter out asshats ??

It might annoy new folks just looking for a quick answer...plus, there's Terry Smile

I wish it would make you enter a name so that we don't have 500 "Guest" posters making multiple posts in the same thread that we can't tell apart....

I really liked Ray's answer, though. If he's always the first one to see troll postings, we're set Smile It has the perfect mix of logic, level-headedness, and ire....

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:

Good point. I really do think leaving anonymous posting enabled is a good thing (TM). It's one of the primary reasons I like online forums like this as opposed to a mailing list...it's much more accessible.

I did realize that what I can do is "split" off these anonymous rants into the right forum without moving the whole topic in particular. That's probably the best solution.

If it starts to become more frequent I guess I can just start giving other folks the ability to moderate within all of the forums as well since it now seems we have enough "regulars" Wink

ed <--- does this make me the bartender?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If it starts to become more frequent I guess I can just start giving other folks the ability to moderate within all of the forums as well since it now seems we have enough "regulars" Wink

ed <--- does this make me the bartender?

NORM!

(if Ed's the bartender, who's Norm?)

Smokey
sometimes addicted to TV Land Smile

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1