· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Paypal
Paypal

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spykest
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Paypal

Am I the only one who hates Pay Pal? I've tried repeatedly to donate money to OpenOffice.org and now NeoOffice, using various corporate credit cards that I use all the time on line elsewhere, and I always get some kind of error or denied message. Am I the only one who's money is no good?

Rrrrrr Mad
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject:

What country are you from? There have been reports in the past that PayPal doesn't accept payments from people whose cards are from certain countries (I believe the last report was from a Czech)....

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
What country are you from? There have been reports in the past that PayPal doesn't accept payments from people whose cards are from certain countries (I believe the last report was from a Czech)....

The card has to be in US Dollars issued by a US Financial Institiution per PayPal policy. If this is true, then you need to contact PayPal support. Also, you have to have a bank account associated with your PayPal account.

In any case, PayPal has made several changes, and some are definately not for the better.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:

PayPal does suck. The whole "verified account" thing with requiring a checking account bites. The fact it always flips you back to paying off of a bank account instead of a credit card is horrible for when purchasing things while drunk. The amount of phishing that's going on due to that bank account link is astronomical. Still...

It really is one of the only ways to get an easy electronic merchant account. c2it used to be good, but it's gone.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject:

I'm confused; when I donated to Neo/J back in Jan, I just used my credit card and didn't have to have a PayPal account or anything. Has something changed since then?

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject:

[quote="OPENSTEP"]PayPal does suck. The whole "verified account" thing with requiring a checking account bites. The fact it always flips you back to paying off of a bank account instead of a credit card is horrible for when purchasing things while drunk. The amount of phishing that's going on due to that bank account link is astronomical. Still...

It really is one of the only ways to get an easy electronic merchant account. c2it used to be good, but it's gone.
[\quote]

I agree that they are not the best, but at this time they seem to be the only legitimate place to do some of the things to isolate the buyer and seller, especially for eBay (who now owns them.)

And it is really bad that c2it when away, but there were questions about them that are surfacing about PayPal.

Oh well. And I really don't like the fact that eBay places my checking account first as I earn benefits with my cards that I don't with my checking account. Also, there are safeguards with the use of a credit card that are not there with the use of debit devices.

James
LemonAid @ work

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Problems with PayPal donations

Hello all,

I have tried several time in the last 2 months to make a donation to NeoOffice that failed.

Mac PB G4 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM OS X 10.4.3 with current patches.
Using Mozilla 1.7.12 and NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha, patch 3....

PayPal hangs on the donation page (http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/donate.php) When I click the Donate to NeoOffice button.

Just Worked from Windows 2000, Netscape 7.2.

Philip (helping in tiny ... ways Wink
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with PayPal donations

LemonAid @ work wrote:
PayPal hangs on the donation page (http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/donate.php) When I click the Donate to NeoOffice button.

I just tried it with Mozilla 1.7.3 (yes, I know that I should upgrade) on Mac OS X 10.3.9 and the PayPal URL comes up fine. What I have found is that Mozilla running on Mac OS X 10.4 can get "stuck" quite frequently when loading some URLs. I have found the java.sun.com Java API pages to frequently time out.

In sum, I don't think PayPal's site is the problem. Instead, I really think that the problem is Mozilla. Try using Safari and see if you see any difference.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Patrick,

I'll try that when I return home.

A suppose that I'll have to contribute more money to complete the test. Wink All for a good ... cause! Laughing

Good luck on the new job Monday. WISH we had enough money to pay for full time. NeoOffice is still the best OOo version on Mac!!

Philip ("All times are GMT + 10 Hours" - where the heck is that?? )

Edit: It's currently Dec 9th, Fri 3:55 pm in San Diego (-8 GMT), and Dec 10th, Sat 8:55 in Tokyo.
Where is it Sat 9:55am?? Confused Confused
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Patrick,

I'll try that when I return home.

A suppose that I'll have to contribute more money to complete the test. Wink All for a good ... cause! Laughing

Good luck on the new job Monday. WISH we had enough money to pay for full time. NeoOffice is still the best OOo version on Mac!!

Edit: It's currently Dec 9th, Fri 3:55 pm in San Diego (-8 GMT), and Dec 10th, Sat 8:55 in Tokyo.
Where is it Sat 9:55am?? Confused Confused

Australia? I've been in both Tokyo and Seoul. (Way to much in Seoul.)

James
I've driven in #1 (1991) and #3 (1995) but what is #2? (Clue to either #1 or #3 is above.)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

BTW, you change the time zone trinity reports by setting the appropriate zone here (you'll have to change it manually in/out of DST, though).

(Similarly, in the wiki, you can change your local time here)

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Smokey,

Thanks, I had not checked out that option, yet. I was guessing that GMT +10 was somewhere in central Australia. I thought maybe it was a secret (NeoOffice) Server farm. Confused

As for Using PayPal with Mozilla 1.7.12. Still hangs but using Safari get pass the Donate problem. Hmmmmm. Good to know that the link works.
I still use Mozilla instead of Safari because Safari still has problems with a lot of sites. Plus I like using Mozilla for Web & Email and have not changed to FireFox. Waiting for Mozilla/SeaMonkey...

Philip (glad to be back in GMT - 8 )
Franck_Pastor
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject:

Is Mozilla still supported for Macintosh ? I heard they had stopped developping the Mac version. Maybe you can use Camino instead, also from the Mozilla fundation.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:

Franck_Pastor wrote:
Is Mozilla still supported for Macintosh ? I heard they had stopped developping the Mac version. Maybe you can use Camino instead, also from the Mozilla fundation.

I am using Seamonkey 1.0a-b (an in-between contributed 1.8 branch build from december 6th) and it works well. I also saw Mac bugs as targeted for the release. So I think they are still working on it.

Mozilla 1.7.x however, is not greatly supported from the Mozilla foundation, as it will be receiving security updates only. But that applies to all platforms.

Camino is in a pre-1.0 cycle, but quite good. My personal peeve is that it will not allow per site session downgrading like Moz 1.7 or FF does.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:
Smokey,

Thanks, I had not checked out that option, yet. I was guessing that GMT +10 was somewhere in central Australia. I thought maybe it was a secret (NeoOffice) Server farm. Confused

Philip (glad to be back in GMT - 8 )

..actually that would put it somewhere near Pine Gap, out of Alice Springs. Pine Gap is/was a secret US installation that was controversial in Australia for some time [in the first gulf war, when we thought it might make us a target], but seems to have slipped off the radar [pardon the metaphor]. Perhaps there's a well-equipped IT-based facility there waiting for NeoOffice?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2