NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject:

ARG!

some.... one. has registered neowiki .net, .com and.org

the plan all along was to move the wiki to this 'real' URL so that it would look better... (sixthcrusade does not exactly sound like a mac software site)

so now i need suggestions for a site name.

neodocs?
neoofficewiki?
theOneWiki (maybe too obscure)
gothisurlcuzsomediphasmine

suggestions?

-jacob
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:

I like neoofficewiki. After all, NeoOffice is the full name of the software.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject:

ok, i just did a clean install of the french wiki using the newest mediawiki software. i picked unicode frence when i installed.

still have the ??'s =\

good news is i figured out the sim link stuff... i think

-j
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject:

Did you save the pages I had already translated?
I hope so Sad
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject:

no! i destroyed it all!!

only the ??'s remain!
Wink

http://sixthcrusade.com/testing

you may want to hold of a bit to work on it though until we figure out this ?? thing. the french wikipedia seems to be just fine on my machine, so i am not sure what they have done that i have not.

maybe it should be installed as latin? (first installation too was unicode, but switched to latin via php edit...)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
you may want to hold of a bit to work on it though until we figure out this ?? thing. the french wikipedia seems to be just fine on my machine, so i am not sure what they have done that i have not.

maybe it should be installed as latin? (first installation too was unicode, but switched to latin via php edit...)

Jake, how are you "uploading" it to sixthcrusade? Is it possible that your FTP client is not UTF-8 aware and is corrupting the accents in the skin (since everything else is in the db and is OK/UTF-Cool? Or are you just unpacking the whole thing on the server?

As for names, why not ask Ed to so some magic like with Bugzilla and do wiki.neooffice.org? Or were you going to do subdomains, en.neoofficewiki.org, fr.neoofficewiki.org, etc. wiki.neooffice.org is certainly a bit easier to say/type....

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Jake, have you seen this page?

Metawiki guide for sysadmins setting up interwiki linking

That's probably what you need to know for interwiki linking; there's even a section towards the bottom that talks about whether you want languages or other stuff....

Also, when I add a link on a page, e.g. on Main Page add a link [[fr:Accueil]], it removes Main Page from the list of pages that don't link to their counterpart in the French language. So NeoWikiEN, as set up, thinks fr:Accueil is the French equiv of Main Page. (It doesn't show up in the sidebar, though; I guess that needs some Admin love to enable.)

I moved Val1984's *original* translation (the one that began as Main_PageFR and was abandoned when neowikifr came online) to Fr:Accueil and the link is now valid.

So if all else fails, we could keep everything in one database/wiki--and thus share templates, userlists, images, categories, and a working UTF-8 implementation!--and probably do the language redirects with some apache/php/rewrite foo. But, the UI would remain in English.

I'm not advocating that necessarily, just mentioning it as an option if grander plans fail.

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

http://sixthcrusade.com/testing

Thank you Smile

I think sardisson's idea would be cool enough Wink
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject:

i upload everything via Fetch... does Fetch not like french accents?

I'll see about doing an unzip from the server though (you guys are determined to get me to remember all my Unix aren't you?)

as for the site, i had hoped to do en.wiki.., fr.wiki.., etc for the URL. the /en, and /fr are fine though, i'll talk with ed and see what he thinks (and how much beer a neooffice.org addy will cost Twisted Evil )

as for the redirect, the more i think about it, the more i think we shouldn't use one, rather just the main site like the wikipedia. The reason for that is that if there is not information on the english site, for example, there may be on the french site, and a redirect may prevent someone from changing languages (if i understand the .htaccess proccess correctly)

if we do a proper language link from the actual neo/j site (Patrick's) to the corresponding wiki (fr -> fr) i think that will be best since most people (like 90%) go to the plasemea site first (as they should)

the interwiki stuff looks easy, methinks, so i'll see about that too. it is a shame that there does not seem to be an easy way to cross link usernames and interwiki tables between the mulitple wikis. (or the image files, it would seem)

anyway, that's what i have for now.

ps. once i figure this out... what other languages are waiting to be set up?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
ps. once i figure this out... what other languages are waiting to be set up?

Traditionally, I'd go for EN, FR, DE and ES. As for Italian or Chinese or Hindi, I have no idea who feels like picking up the work.

In any case, I don't think a Dutch version will be necessary. All of us understand sufficient English, French and/or German to get info from those and even then, the user base would be comparatively tiny.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject:

We think someone has already volunteered to do German Smile (and if not, perhaps Schlesi and some of the apfelwiki.de folks will pitch in).

Because we pretty much all speak English all the time on trinity, and most folks don't list locations, it's hard to tell the languages of our userbase and potential volunteers.

I would start with en fr de (I'd say es like Oscar, too, but I don't know if we have anyone willing to take on the task), and if someone requests another langauge and volunteers to keep it up to date, then set it up (or if someone requests it now, go ahead and do it now).

As for Fetch, it's possible. I haven't used Fetch in ages, so I don't know the current state of things. I haven't tried to upload UTF-8 files with any FTP client, actually, but I remember in the old days when I wanted to upload a test page I had done in MacArabic, I had to fiddle with all sorts of options to keep the FTP client from scrambling the encoding....

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
as for the redirect, the more i think about it, the more i think we shouldn't use one, rather just the main site like the wikipedia. The reason for that is that if there is not information on the english site, for example, there may be on the french site, and a redirect may prevent someone from changing languages (if i understand the .htaccess proccess correctly)

We should have a template for the Main Page that provides links to the other wikis at the very top linking the the "Main Page" of the other wikis, so if someone ends up at the wrong one. (And of course on every page, we'll either have the sidebar or something at the bottom linking to the equivalent page on the other wikis....)

Smokey

Edit: already mocked up, using NeoWiki's Main Page and Fr:Accueil, not the real NeoWikiFR....

Last edited by sardisson on Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
the interwiki stuff looks easy, methinks, so i'll see about that too. it is a shame that there does not seem to be an easy way to cross link usernames and interwiki tables between the mulitple wikis. (or the image files, it would seem)

Image files (well, depending on how you're using them) probably can be, because I'm pretty sure wikipedia does that to reference images in the "commons"; all a matter of the interwiki tables/namespace mapping, I guess.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I can point any "neooffice.org" subdomain to any static IP. There are unlimited ones under there.

Some asshat registered neooffice.com, but I haven't bothered to go after them under trademark cybersquatting laws. Not worth my time since it's not a spoof site...yet...

ed
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Image files (well, depending on how you're using them) probably can be, because I'm pretty sure wikipedia does that to reference images in the "commons"; all a matter of the interwiki tables/namespace mapping, I guess.

In wikipedia, images are located on a sub-domain called "images" (like en, fr...).
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8