NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoWiki in French
NeoWiki in French

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject:

I can do images on "www" or "trinity", but bandwidth is a constraint on these connections. We may want to offload them to another server with more bandwidth. I can map "images.neooffice.org" to a static server with bandwidth, for example, but don't have such bandwidth handy Sad

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:

the problem isn't getting the two wikis to use the same folder (which they are all set up for now) the problem is that if an image is uploaded in one wiki (say the EN one) the others (like the FR one) don't register it as being there, since there is also a database entry based off of the upload.

as for server space and bandwidth, ed, i'm still good on both. i don't have a static IP, however.

long weekend away, so i didn't get to look at anything. good news is, though, i finnally got broadband =D
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Rock! Broadband is helpful Smile I do have static IPs and eventually will be replacing the main web server so can hopefully offload something. It should also be possible to set up trinity with virtual domains if that'd help.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:

ok, slight update.

i found the french file and opened it for editing from the server, and could see the accents there. (i also did a forced 'upload as text' update to someof the files as well)

here is what i don't know. i know you can write some code for each symbol (ASCII, right?) that the page will translate (rather than put the symbol in there). does anyone know these? Because i bet if i change them, it may work... or may not. but it is worth a shot i suppose.

also, does anyone out there upload text files (like PHP or HTML) with french (or non-english, i should say) characters? if so, did you have to do anything to your FTP program to do so?

basically, is there something the dumb american is missing?
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
ok, slight update.

i found the french file and opened it for editing from the server, and could see the accents there. (i also did a forced 'upload as text' update to someof the files as well)

here is what i don't know. i know you can write some code for each symbol (ASCII, right?) that the page will translate (rather than put the symbol in there). does anyone know these? Because i bet if i change them, it may work... or may not. but it is worth a shot i suppose.

also, does anyone out there upload text files (like PHP or HTML) with french (or non-english, i should say) characters? if so, did you have to do anything to your FTP program to do so?

Set your FTP session to binary (BIN) and then try uploading. Most text sessions will 'strip' the high bit and thus you cannot upload any special characters.

jakeOSX wrote:

basically, is there something the dumb american is missing?

Definately not a sense of humour. Hopefully my suggestion will work and the French Neowiki will work.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

I personally don't allow PHP and HTML to be uploaded to my wiki. Security concerns...

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
jakeOSX wrote:

I personally don't allow PHP and HTML to be uploaded to my wiki. Security concerns...

Smart. But how will jakeOSX get the French version of the wiki to you?

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Smart. But how will jakeOSX get the French version of the wiki to you?

I do not know. I always set type to BIN, and I have no other suggestions..

jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject:

the problem is uploading the wiki itself (i believe)

when people work on the wiki, the accents seem to be coming through fine. however, in the template, no accents. which says to me that something when wrong with the uploading.

i'll try the bin thing tonight, hope that is it...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
the problem is uploading the wiki itself (i believe)

I still say upload the tarball and expand it via ssh Very Happy

(ducks!)

Yeah, I use a Mac so I don't have to do that, but sometimes it really is easier (expand the phpBB security update on the server rather than uploading a dozen files from my Mac)...

Alternatively, this ftp client claims to be fully UTF-8 compliant. I can't imagine a modern version of Fetch is not, though.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject:

unfortunatly, SSH is an additional cost for my server. =\ (i did try that)

because that is probably the answer to the problem.

i'll check up on Fetch

could someone go to NeoWikiFR.sixthcrusade.com and put in some non-english symbols to see if they work?

esp if you title a page with non-english symbols.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:

i think i found the issue...

http://fetchsoftworks.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000772.html

sounds like i need to un-select this option.

i'll try it at lunch.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
could someone go to NeoWikiFR.sixthcrusade.com and put in some non-english symbols to see if they work?

esp if you title a page with non-english symbols.

Yeah, the page content is UTF-8 and therefore fine, but the template/skin/user messages stuff is mangled right now.

I hope that Fetch option will do it; it sounds right.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject:

*sigh*

didn't work, played with all the upload settings, temporarily broke the french wiki, fixed it, but now it is stil the same.

i even did a command line FTP upload.

(is there a way to designate UTF-8 on the commandline? maybe?)

So, yeah, when i get paid i'll look into command line access.. and maybe that other FTP program.

Anyone have an UTF-8 compatible ftp program? if so, drop me a PM
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: MySQL?

Hi,
I'm jumping in late on this just to give my two cents :
did you wiki use MySQL?
If yes did you check for its version/setting?
My own experience with utf-8 is that any ftp in binary mode is ok, but mysql is not : older version (<4.1) are not aware of utf-8, although ou can force it to store utf-8 code if you do not use its own interface or phpmyadmin. More recent version are utf-8 capable but are pretty cumbersome to configure correctly as charset translation occur automatically.

Max
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8