· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoWiki in French
NeoWiki in French

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:

Just to bring this to your attention : as you can see on this page, the French language team for OpenOffice.org didn't bother to translate the component names (Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw & Base) in French.

In the Wiki, Writer is Texteur, Calc is Tableur, Impress is Présentation and Draw is Dessin. I find these translations unnecessary. Texteur doesn't really mean anything in French, and since OpenOffice (or even Microsoft) didn't translate the names, I think it would be better to keep the English names to avoid confusion (and because they sound much better - although that's subjective). Unless they have actually been translated in NeoOffice itself, in which case it would make sense to have them on the Wiki pages.

What I'll do is that I'll change them to the English name when I update French Wiki pages. Feel free to change them back if you think we should keep the translations.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:

what does OO.o call them? My opinion is we should keep in line with how they are named by the OpenOffice.org group, as that is how they will be labeled elsewhere.

-j, who only knows one french word: Zidane (usually yelled in dispare as his team loses)
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
what does OO.o call them? My opinion is we should keep in line with how they are named by the OpenOffice.org group, as that is how they will be labeled elsewhere.

Absolutely. Did you not see my link ? This is the French information page for OpenOffice.org 2.0.
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

It was Philippe Peret who did the initial translation that translated these names and I didn't bother changing them Razz
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It was Philippe Peret who did the initial translation that translated these names and I didn't bother changing them

I won't change them all at once, but will replace them with the official OOo names whenever I update a French wiki page ...
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:

Absolutely. Did you not see my link ? This is the French information page for OpenOffice.org 2.0.

ok! ok! i admit it! i didn't click the link...

-j, who is sitting in the corner for what he has done
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject:

Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:38 am    Post subject: Updating the French wiki

It's become apparent that certain parts of the French wiki are massively out-of-date (i.e., they haven't been touched since Neo/J 1.1 was released last June Sad). Because of that, I've gone ahead and swapped out a few of the links in the Neo box for links to the English equivalents (relnotes, feature comparison).

In preparation for the public release of Aqua Beta, it would be very nice if the following pages were updated or translated:

1) http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Fr:NeoOffice (this should probably only need a few changes, perhaps even only the ones I made today)
2) A French translation of http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/NeoOffice_Feature_Comparison (the old one was from Neo/J 1.1; I earlier renamed it to indicate that, but today I pointed the link to the English page)
3) http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Fr:NeoOffice_et_Aqua (needs an update; in pretty good shape but some old changes still missing)
4) Fix any page titles that still have /J in them

5) It would be great to get http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Fr:NeoOffice_Support translated (the page is stubbed in, but all the text and links are still in English); this is a much larger undertaking, however, since a lot of those FAQ answers are not translated Sad

There are other pages out there which are out-of-date, but these are the big ones we should try to have "fixed"....

I wish I could help more with the actual work myself, but my French is just not good enough Sad

Merci beaucoup!
Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject:

I'll try to remember to translate but I am a bit busy this month (I have to write my placement report).
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject:

When I decided to help with the French Wiki, I didn't realize in what awful shape it was Smile

I probably won't be able to help much until Thursday (away from home again), but I will see what has been done then and do as much as possible of what's left (not sure I'll touch too many FAQs though).
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject:

From what I can see, the situation of the French feature comparison pages is as follows :

Fr:NeoOffice links directly to NeoOffice Feature Comparison

Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalites redirects to [url=http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Fr:Comparaison_des_fonctionnalites_(NeoOffice/J_1.1)]Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalites (NeoOffice/J 1.1)[/url]

I don't know of any new feature comparison page for the French wiki, so I added my own ([url=http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Comparaisondesfonctionnalités-temp]Comparaisondesfonctionnalités-temp[/url] - sorry for the name but this is not a page that will ever be linked to), since we will need a new page to hold temporary translation of the page (unless someone can translate it all at once, but I'd much rather do it step by step).

I understand that we could bring the existing page up-to-date, but if I start the translation/update (which I was about to do today before I got confused), I'd rather copy/paste the current English page and translate it directly, using the current French page as a reference. Before I proceed (assuming I find some time to do it as I have today), I'd like to know what you think about this (?).
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that sounds good. Translate the current English page into -temp (using the 1.1 page as a guide for consistency), and then when the translation is done, move -temp to Fr:Comparaison_des_fonctionnalites and update Fr:NeoOffice and Template:Fr:NeoOfficeDescp to point to the newly-translated page rather than the English version.

The redirect was done when I discovered the Fr page was a 1.1 and wanted to make it very clear that page was old (moving/renaming a page automatically generates a redirect), and then as a very small part of Ray's "10-hour madness" I pointed the Fr:NeoOffice and Fr:Comparaison_des_fonctionnalites links to the English page instead of the ancient 1.1 page Wink

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:

FYI: I've had a couple of folks with French-sounding names/emails asking about/starting the process to get wiki accounts this week, so hopefully we'll have a few more folks working on keeping the French wiki up-to-date shortly Smile

Thanks again to all our wiki authors/editors!

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject:

This is good news, especially since I won't be available to translate much on the Wiki in the next few weeks/months. I told Patrick that I would translate all (or at least, the most important) French pages on planamesa.com (since they are in French/English - i.e., Frenglish or Engrench Smile), but then I'll need to concentrate on my studies, and hopefully (if I've got enough time left) on improving my poor programming skills ...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
(since they are in French/English - i.e., Frenglish or Engrench Smile)

Franglais Wink

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8