NeoOffice :: View topic - Translating 1.1 Announcement & Release Coordination
Translating 1.1 Announcement & Release Coordination

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
Has any thought been given to where to send the press release when it's done?

ie, news agencies or press-release-forwarding-services or whatnot?

W

For starters, here are two Dutch Mac magazines:
http://www.macfan.nl/
http://macfreak.nl/

Furthermore, I added a screenshot with my icon set so far (not published yet) for NeoIconer 8.1.

I will translate the release announcement into Dutch when it is finalized (though it should be unlocked for me to enter text..). I can also use Euroglot at my office to provide for rough translations into several other languages. Let me know if any are needed.

One week and we are in M$'s home turf. Good luck, everyone!

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
Has any thought been given to where to send the press release when it's done?

ie, news agencies or press-release-forwarding-services or whatnot?

W

Some, but more is needed.

I have:

* compiled a partial list of "contacts" (emails or forms) for a number of the major US Mac news sites:
Macintouch: [form]
MacCentral: email
MacNN: form
MacSurfer: email
MacObserver: email

* an extensive list of emails for German Mac news site (thanks to the apfelwiki.de folks) but need a German speaker to volunteer to send those emails

* asked Ed to see if he has any relevant tech press contacts to whom we should send the release.

We probably need to set up a separate page on the wiki to keep track of this (in time it should be folded back into the Neo Advocacy Press section, to which no one seems to have added any sites we should target so far....

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject:

I know that there are press release forwarding/handling services (some cost money, some don't) that send to opt-in journalists and that kind of thing. A google search may be helpful here.

Additionally, it might be a good idea to collect appropriate addresses for wire news services that might cater to tech stuff (Wired, NYTimes, etc.) or even to individual reporters who have expressed interest in this sort of news.

I don't want to spam anyone though. We should make sure we're only sending to people who have requested this sort of information.

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: "Including" problem

OK, we have a problem. Its name is "including," and it shows up twice in a row in a number of paragraphs.... Sad

Quote:
NeoOffice®/J 1.1 provides compatibility with Microsoft Office and Corel WordPerfect and offers a robust feature set common to all major office suites, including the ability to track changes as a document is forwarded from one user to another. NeoOffice®/J can export to many formats including PDF, HTML, Flash, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Its native file format is open and XML-based, freeing users’ documents from vendor lock-in, a frequent complaint of proprietary office suites.

(And shouldn't that be "a frequent complaint against..."? Office suites don't complain themselves....)

Quote:
NeoOffice®/J 1.1 also offers localized user interfaces in 40 languages and supports text entry in Roman and non-Roman scripts, including South Asian, East Asian, right-to-left and complex text layout scripts. This has allowed individuals and organizations across the globe—including schools, non-profits, and corporations—to adopt NeoOffice®/J as their primary office suite.

Quote:
Planamesa Software is a software development consulting company owned and operated by Patrick Luby. Patrick has spent nearly a decade working as a software developer in a variety of commercial and open source projects including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat using the C, C++, and Java programming languages on a variety of operating systems including Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows.

(and a run-on, to boot!)

Suggestions?

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Including" problem

sardisson wrote:
OK, we have a problem. Its name is "including," and it shows up twice in a row in a number of paragraphs.... Sad

Quote:
NeoOffice®/J 1.1 provides compatibility with Microsoft Office and Corel WordPerfect and offers a robust feature set common to all major office suites, including the ability to track changes as a document is forwarded from one user to another. NeoOffice®/J can export to many formats including PDF, HTML, Flash, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Its native file format is open and XML-based, freeing users’ documents from vendor lock-in, a frequent complaint of proprietary office suites.

Maybe replace the 2nd "including" with "such as"?

sardisson wrote:
(And shouldn't that be "a frequent complaint against..."? Office suites don't complain themselves....)

sure..

sardisson wrote:

Quote:
NeoOffice®/J 1.1 also offers localized user interfaces in 40 languages and supports text entry in Roman and non-Roman scripts, including South Asian, East Asian, right-to-left and complex text layout scripts. This has allowed individuals and organizations across the globe—including schools, non-profits, and corporations—to adopt NeoOffice®/J as their primary office suite.

I'd say...

Quote:
NeoOffice®/J 1.1 also offers localized user interfaces in 40 languages and supports text entry in Roman and non-Roman scripts, including South Asian, East Asian, right-to-left and complex text layout scripts. This has allowed individuals and organizations across the globe to adopt NeoOffice®/J as their primary office suite.

The imaginative reader can probably figure out what's meant by an "organization".

sardisson wrote:
Quote:
Planamesa Software is a software development consulting company owned and operated by Patrick Luby. Patrick has spent nearly a decade working as a software developer in a variety of commercial and open source projects including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat using the C, C++, and Java programming languages on a variety of operating systems including Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows.

(and a run-on, to boot!)

Suggestions?

Smokey

Is it a run-on? Or just a really complex sentence with quite a few dependent clauses. (That assumes I remember my Strunk and White, which admittedly I probably don't.) How's this:

Quote:
Planamesa Software is a software development consulting company owned and operated by Patrick Luby. Luby has spent nearly a decade working as a software developer in a variety of commercial and open source projects including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat. Planamesa specializes in using the C, C++, and Java programming languages on a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows.

(also changed "Patrick" to "Luby" in the second sentence for consistency w/the rest of the release...)

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Including" problem

After some rest and the suggestions from Waldo, some new suggestions in a couple of places:

Waldo wrote:
sardisson wrote:
Quote:

I'd say...

Quote:
NeoOffice®/J 1.1 also offers localized user interfaces in 40 languages and supports text entry in Roman and non-Roman scripts, including South Asian, East Asian, right-to-left and complex text layout scripts. This has allowed individuals and organizations across the globe to adopt NeoOffice®/J as their primary office suite.

The imaginative reader can probably figure out what's meant by an "organization".

How about
Quote:
NeoOffice®/J 1.1 also offers localized user interfaces in 40 languages and supports text entry in Roman and non-Roman scripts, including South Asian, East Asian, right-to-left and complex text layout scripts. This has allowed individuals and organizations across the globe—from schools and non-profits to corporations—to adopt NeoOffice®/J as their primary office suite.
so that we keep the phrase?

Waldo wrote:

sardisson wrote:
Quote:

Is it a run-on? Or just a really complex sentence with quite a few dependent clauses. (That assumes I remember my Strunk and White, which admittedly I probably don't.) How's this:

Quote:
Planamesa Software is a software development consulting company owned and operated by Patrick Luby. Luby has spent nearly a decade working as a software developer in a variety of commercial and open source projects including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat. Planamesa specializes in using the C, C++, and Java programming languages on a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows.

(also changed "Patrick" to "Luby" in the second sentence for consistency w/the rest of the release...)

Well, it feels run-on-y, but maybe it just is a really long series of dependant clauses. In any case, here I think perhaps it's best to return mostly to the original language on Planamesa.com:
Quote:
Planamesa Software is a software development consulting company owned and operated by Patrick Luby. Luby has spent nearly a decade working as a software developer in a variety of commercial and open source projects including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat using the C, C++, and Java programming languages on a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows.
?

I'm also going to remove the redundant "reg trademark" statement from About NeoOffice.org, since the same line appears right below in the general trademark statement.

If all of Waldo's previous suggestions plus these new ones sound OK, I'll edit the text and unlock the page for translation later this evening....

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NeoOffice®/J 1.1 also offers localized user interfaces in 40 languages and supports text entry in Roman and non-Roman scripts, including South Asian, East Asian, right-to-left and complex text layout scripts. This has allowed individuals and organizations across the globe—from schools and non-profits to corporations—to adopt NeoOffice®/J as their primary office suite.

Hmm.. shouldn't it be "from ITEM#1 TO item#2 TO item#3" as opposed to "from ITEM#1 AND ITEM#2 TO ITEM#3"?

ie, "The students excelled in every subject ranging from math to science to economics..."

W
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Planamesa Software is a software development consulting company owned and operated by Patrick Luby. Luby has spent nearly a decade working as a software developer in a variety of commercial and open source projects including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat using the C, C++, and Java programming languages on a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows.

It reads weird to me. It's the sentence that won't end.

Quote:
Planamesa Software is a software development consulting company owned and operated by Patrick Luby. Luby has spent nearly a decade working as a software developer (1) in a variety of commercial and open source projects (2) including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat (3) using the C, C++, and Java programming languages (4) on a variety of operating systems (5) such as Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows.

Pretty complicated. Lots of clauses without a clear reference (each clause I guess modifies the one it immediately follows, but once you get way out there, it's confusing..)

"Bob helped his father who went to the store."

Who went to the store? Bob? His dad? Both of them? It sounds probably the father wentr... but as you add more clauses, it gets more confusing..

"Bob helped his father who went to the store that was in New Jersey, New York, and Chicago, which was abandoned because of the threat that was on the news, including the radio, which was broken so they never heard it."

I have no idea if that's even is grammatically correct, but assuming it is...was the store abandoned? Was New Jersey abandoned? etc. I'm definitely not an expert on this, but it seems the more of those clauses you add, the more confusing it gets.

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
Quote:

Hmm.. shouldn't it be "from ITEM#1 TO item#2 TO item#3" as opposed to "from ITEM#1 AND ITEM#2 TO ITEM#3"?

ie, "The students excelled in every subject ranging from math to science to economics..."

W

Sounds good to me...that's not one of the points of grammar on which I'm an expert Smile

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Adding in numbers to my bio text is incorrect as my original sentence describes a three dimensional matrix of skills, not a one dimensional list:

Axis X:
--------
"a variety of commercial and open source projects including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat"

Axis Y:
--------
"using the C, C++, and Java programming languages"

Axis Z:
--------
"on a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows."

Patrick
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:

I didn't mean that the numbers should be added! I was only pointing out how many clauses were piled up one after another and it wasn't always clear which was modifying which...

I think the solution is to break it up into simpler sentences.

W

pluby wrote:
Adding in numbers to my bio text is incorrect as my original sentence describes a three dimensional matrix of skills, not a one dimensional list:

Axis X:
--------
"a variety of commercial and open source projects including OpenOffice.org and Apache Tomcat"

Axis Y:
--------
"using the C, C++, and Java programming languages"

Axis Z:
--------
"on a variety of operating systems such as Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, and Windows."

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
I didn't mean that the numbers should be added! I was only pointing out how many clauses were piled up one after another and it wasn't always clear which was modifying which...

I think the solution is to break it up into simpler sentences.

Well, we could also remove the sample projects. They weren't in Patrick's original text of the sentence (they were a subsequent list) but were added by whomever wrote the About Planamesa Software section.

Or we could remove those three "About X" sections altogether, since they are covered in the Press Kit (bios and NeoOffice.org community).

I just don't think we can split the sentence without changing the meaning.

And whatever we do, we need to decide ASAP Smile

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject:

I'll leave it up to you guys Smile

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Ready for Translation!

Sorry, folks, I was sick yesterday and didn't get out of bed ("it's Tuesday, really?!")....

But I've made all the corrections that needed to be made and the page is unlocked for translation.

If you find any further typos, grammar errors, or formatting and stylistic issues, post 'em here first.

Thanks again, y'all, and sorry for the delay!

Smokey

Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ready for Translation!

sardisson wrote:
(...) If you find any further typos, grammar errors, or formatting and stylistic issues, post 'em here first.

Hi, thanks for your effort and I hope you're feeling better!

It is one small detail in the release text: In the first part ("Introducing...") Patrick is quoted. But later, in the scond part ("A Feature-Complete..."), in the third paragraph, there is a quote by Ed (".... said Peterlin"). He's not introduced until part four ("Seamless..."), second paragraph.

If the quote in the second part is by Ed (or not a mixup with Patrick?), I think we have to move the few words presenting Ed up there.

Well, that's all (and how far I've got in the translation so far at 1 am...)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8