· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Translating 1.1 Announcement & Release Coordination
Translating 1.1 Announcement & Release Coordination

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: *** Please Proofread! ***

ovvldc wrote:
In the release announcement, include a _NOTOC_ as well, to stop that massive table of contents from appearing.

Will do. On the Press Kit, too, or is that one considered OK/manageable?

ovvldc wrote:
Add the relevant links to completed translations in the bar at the top and remove the incomplete ones. I already moved them to the bottom of the page. If need be, put them in <!- style tags.

Hopefully the translators will add their own links--well, Knut--because I don't know the Norwegian for "Norwegian." It does look like we've lost the German one, which greatly saddens me. Sad

ovvldc wrote:
As for the history, it looks good. I have a single issue, with the reason for using Java is that Patrick is good at it. This is true, but I think the similarity in event models (OOo works much more like Java than Carbon or Cocoa) is a better reason to cite here, though it is more difficult to convey.

Yeah, that's more-or-less directly from my interview with Patrick. I'm not sure how to work event model in without lots of explanation that Waldo would then have to come in and trim Smile

ovvldc wrote:
I also added a final profile. Someone else should look over it to see if it is complete. I figured that not all significant people are coders and this should be reflected.

LOL! There are plenty of non-coders in that list, and there are lots of others responsible for significant part of the wiki, esp. the press kit and announcement. Ironically, though, Fridrich was blogging yesterday about the WP Arabic charset stuff and referred to a certain person as "of NeoOffice/J fame"....

ovvldc wrote:
It looks like we are almost ready to go Wink

Indeed. Where are our Germans, though?! Crying or Very sad

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: *** Please Proofread! ***

Quick question--

so the release is on the 22nd.. but PR stuff starts in advance of that? I'm hearing monday (tomorrow) is when the announcement will go out? Is that correct?

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: *** Please Proofread! ***

Waldo wrote:
so the release is on the 22nd.. but PR stuff starts in advance of that? I'm hearing monday (tomorrow) is when the announcement will go out? Is that correct?

Mostly we don't have sites on the lists that are likely to do "big stories" on us, or they're the types of places that will publish some time from now (print).

So I'm planning on sending out stuff (and we need to divide up the EN stuff, because we have the most of EN-US and EN-UK--except for DE, for which we don't have even a reasonably current announcement Crying or Very sad) Tues afternoon/evening EDT...too late to accidentally make the Tues news (unless they do a late, late edition) but also hopefully enough in advance that they can prepare a "nice" little story for Wednesday morning.

Oscar's busy on Tues, so he said he was going to do the NL stuff Monday.

I'm going to start locking down pages tonight, so that anyone who gets the stuff Monday doesn't have to worry about spammers Smile

Does that make sense, or do we need to refine/further coordinate things?

Smokey

P.S. Remember to PM me for access to the email account for sending out these things....

Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: *** Please Proofread! ***

sardisson wrote:

Mostly we don't have sites on the lists that are likely to do "big stories" on us, or they're the types of places that will publish some time from now (print).

Just a quick search...

C|net/news.com: send-us-news-tips@cnet.com (link)

nytimes: news-tips@nytimes.com (link)

CNN: Story Idea form (link)

Byte.com: Staff links, including columnists/editors (link)

It'd be nice if we could get the news on the blog circuit... Can we get openoffice.org to link?

Do we have appropriate email addresses for all these mac sites?

Macintouch.com
versiontracker.com
xlr8yourmac.com
macnn.com
macosxhints.com
macoxrumors.com
macslash.org
spymac.com
pbzone.com
macfixit.com
mactech.com
macupdate.com
macosxapps.com
appleinsider.com
macrumors.com

Any more?

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: *** Please Proofread! ***

Waldo wrote:
It'd be nice if we could get the news on the blog circuit... Can we get openoffice.org to link?

I hope so, but that's always touch-and-go. I have Louis on the list of people to send the release to, but I don't know who determines what makes the front page. Hopefully some of the Sun folks, like Simon Phipps, will pick up the news, too. (I assume he's on NeoJUpdate or Patrick emails him privately.)

Waldo wrote:
Do we have appropriate email addresses for all these mac sites?

[...]

A lot of them ring bells, but check the list, please Smile Everything we have, save the German stuff Crying or Very sad, is there.

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Well, this is not going to surprise you at all, but different browsers copy/paste the same text in different ways (i.e. the br and blank lines)! I just tested Safari and Camino and Camino puts in extra line breaks (at least from the perspective of the source--in real-life copying situations, Camino probably results in the "more useable" copy; just not in this one).

Anyway, it looks more or less OK in either, and I'm not going to get worked up over what I can't control. The PDF and SWX versions are online, too.

Smokey
...and miles to go before I sleep

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject:

There's one other piece of language that needs attention. Long, long, long ago, perhaps even in Tavi era, Oscar put a nice phrase into the Neo/J page:

Oscar, in the NeoWiki wrote:
Best of all, even though it's still in the "beta" phase of its development, NeoOffice/J is remarkably stable. It's actually ready to use right now. Thousands of people and organizations use NeoOffice/J to do their daily work!

How do we change that? We need to keep the "remarkably stable" part as well as the second sentence.

Can we just change it to "Best of all, even though it is just at version 1.1, NeoOffice/J is remarkably stable..."? Does that sound OK?

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:
Are there quotation mark conventions for other languages [spelled it right this time! Smile], and does Neo/J get them correct?

To my knowledge, they are all the same..

To my knowledge, only the French (in roman script languages, anyway) have different "quotes" characters - called « guillemets » - and they don't always use 'em any more, but I think they're jus' telegant...

By the way, I didn't touch any of the non-English text in the announcement when I was editing the commas.

- yoxi
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Can we just change it to "Best of all, even though it is just at version 1.1, NeoOffice/J is remarkably stable..."? Does that sound OK?

For some reason, to me this makes it sound as if you're surprised at how stable it is, rather than just proud. It also makes Neo/J sound like an infant rather than a rapidly sprouting youth. If it were me, I'd write something like:

"Best of all, even at version 1.1 NeoOffice/J is already remarkably stable..."

Which emphasises the "we're going somewhere with this!" angle rather than the "my, isn't he big for a 2-year-old!" angle Smile

- yoxi
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
sardisson wrote:

For some reason, to me this makes it sound as if you're surprised at how stable it is, rather than just proud. It also makes Neo/J sound like an infant rather than a rapidly sprouting youth. If it were me, I'd write something like:

Which emphasises the "we're going somewhere with this!" angle rather than the "my, isn't he big for a 2-year-old!" angle Smile

- yoxi

Agreed. I'd leave out the "even" though.

"Best of all, at version 1.1 NeoOffice/J is already remarkably stable..."

or

"Best of all, NeoOffice/J is already remarkably stable at version 1.1..."

But what is this for again? This isn't in the announcement is it?

W
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
I have a question for you (and other translators, acutally): I'm going through my .sxw version and replacing straight quotes (", ') with the curly ones (“”, ‘’); in the French section, Neo/J is using « followed by a non-breaking space for the quotations. This is what is expected, correct?

That's what NeoOffice/J does and it is correct in french Smile
Could you please unlock the pages? I have some changes to do on the french version Confused
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
[Could you please unlock the pages? I have some changes to do on the french version Confused

OK, the Announcement is unlocked.

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject:

Waldo wrote:
yoxi wrote:

Agreed. I'd leave out the "even" though.

"Best of all, at version 1.1 NeoOffice/J is already remarkably stable..."

or

"Best of all, NeoOffice/J is already remarkably stable at version 1.1..."

But what is this for again? This isn't in the announcement is it?

The [[NeoOffice/J]] page. It's the one place left on the wiki that calls Neo/J "beta" or "development" software.

I think I'm gonna use Waldo's last suggestion.

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Thanks Smokey Very Happy

I'm done, you can lock it again and go to sleep Razz
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
sardisson wrote:

Thanks Smokey Very Happy

I'm done, you can lock it again and go to sleep Razz

Il n'y a pas de quoi. Je ne dors pas Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8