val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

It has hit Mac4ever.org and MacGeneration.com, 2 french sites Very Happy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject:

OK, I did the German sites we had been supplied (except for the ones that seemed really non-Mac/non-tech), with a line at the beginning apologizing for sending an English text but saying we wanted to make sure to include the German Mac press anyway. Hopefully it's not too late for some of them to make the morning news...(I was too tired to think straight after dinner, and we know how my typing has been of late Smile)

I'm getting ready to finish up our "listings" sites--Freshmeat, Apple, etc.

knutkja, val1984, ocvvldc, etc: When you get a chance, please go into "Contacts" then "All Contacts" then click on the site's email address and add a little bit of text in the "Note" section (e.g. "MacGeneration - FR") so that the Contacts list can more easily be sorted/searched by language. And thanks all for the great efforts so far!

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
knutkja, val1984, ocvvldc, etc: When you get a chance, please go into "Contacts" then "All Contacts" then click on the site's email address and add a little bit of text in the "Note" section (e.g. "MacGeneration - FR") so that the Contacts list can more easily be sorted/searched by language.

I modified the names but not exactly like you suggested : I typed "FR - contact" so that it's easier to sort Wink
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject:

Hey I don't know if anyone's said as much Smokey-- but you're doing a kick-ass job taking the lead at this PR stuff, and we all appreciate your organization and commitment.. A lot of work has gone into this release, but you're kicking out the stops to make sure people find out about it, so kudos to you.

Don't relax yet, but nice job-- in progress Smile

W

/same to translators and everyone else who's helping
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject:

Thanks W! Smile And thanks again to all who've helped!

OK, so don't go to sleep on me yet. I'm working on the submission to the Macintosh Products Guide (they only take release products, so this will be our first listing, if we get in) and the form is a killer (and I lost the version of the info I submitted for 1.1 Beta somehow...) Sad

Anyway, we can have up to 6 keywords that aren't already part of our description:
standard description, trimmed by a few words to meet Apple's limit wrote:
NeoOffice/J is a fully-featured set of office applications (including word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing programs) for Mac OS X. Based on the OpenOffice.org office suite, NeoOffice/J incorporates dozens of native Mac features and can import, edit, and exchange files with other popular office programs such as Microsoft Office. Unlike the Mac OS X release of OpenOffice.org, NeoOffice/J does not require the X11 windowing system. Released as free, open-source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL), NeoOffice/J is fully functional and stable enough for everyday use. The software is actively developed and updates are available regularly.

What would those keywords be? I think the description pretty much has every possible keyword, right? (Also, I need whatever keywords we come up with in French and German, too Smile)

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
It has hit Mac4ever.org and MacGeneration.com, 2 french sites Very Happy

Merci!

I'm starting a section on the Release Tasks where we can put all these links, and eventually we can put them someplace nice Smile

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
sardisson wrote:
knutkja, val1984, ocvvldc, etc: When you get a chance, please go into "Contacts" then "All Contacts" then click on the site's email address and add a little bit of text in the "Note" section (e.g. "MacGeneration - FR") so that the Contacts list can more easily be sorted/searched by language.

I modified the names but not exactly like you suggested : I typed "FR - contact" so that it's easier to sort Wink

Yeah, that's better. Everyone, do it val1984's way Smile Put it as the contact name rather than the "note," and language first....

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
OK, so don't go to sleep on me yet. I'm working on the submission to the Macintosh Products Guide (they only take release products, so this will be our first listing, if we get in) and the form is a killer (and I lost the version of the info I submitted for 1.1 Beta somehow...) Sad

Anyway, we can have up to 6 keywords that aren't already part of our description: [...]

What would those keywords be? I think the description pretty much has every possible keyword, right? (Also, I need whatever keywords we come up with in French and German, too Smile)

OK, I'm going to go ahead and submit without keywords. I'm paranoid that Camino will choose this moment to crash on me (a rare event, but often ill-timed) and as I said, that form is a monster to fill out.... Also, eventually I want to go back to sleep Smile

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject:

Well, the wiki's been slashdotted Sad

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=153509

Let's try to dispense the FAQs on the thread until the wiki recovers.

Hopefully every news source that wanted something from the Press Kit got there first Sad

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Speaking of tracking progress, do we have any way to track downloads, etc? Wiki automatically tracks hits, but it would be nice to be able to issue a 10,000th download announcement or whatever kind of followup press releases might be warranted...

I don't know what kind of stats Patrick gets from his mirrors. He's the only one really in a postion to get that information.

Smokey

OTOH, we just hit 1500 downloads from MacUpdate (by comparison, the entire week we released RC, we had 1528) and are closing in on 2500 from VersionTracker, and that's in a period of roughly 24-28 hours.

If you remind me to keep checking (MU doesn't provide a per-version stat, just the overall-since-first-listed public number and then the weekly/daily figures), we could do a 10,000th announcement based on just those, but it would be well past the actual 10,000th download.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject:

The webhosting company that I use doesn't provide detailed logs, but I can get a rough count once a week. I don't know what the mirrors are doing, but I figure that since I rotate the mirror list, their download numbers should be roughly the same as mine.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject:

In case anyone needs the text for any reason, I've unpacked and reworked the Announcement here. Not for slashdotting, but in case it's needed for anything else.

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject:

It has hit MacPlus.org and MacTouch.com Smile

French people are screaming for Aqua widgets and many of them don't even realize how many hours of voluntary work have been needed to get where we are Crying or Very sad
Some are selfish or they must have pirated MS Office...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject:

We got a fair number of little blurbs out of the German sites, despite sending the English release, which was good. We made the heise newsticker which I understand from schlesi's past posts is a biggie (Cnet-ish?).

The number of non-English sites which edited the planamesa URL to include the /en/ astonishes me, since none of the releases, not even the English one, had the /en/ there Confused Question

As for Aqua widgets, you eventually learn to just let that not bother you. People will never be satisfied. Smile When we get Aqua widgets, people will complain about the layout and the feel and half a dozen other things.... Smile

I saw some old screenshots of the 0.x series the other day, and it's easy to see how far we've already come with that sort of comparison...

Neo/J does the things that I need it to do--and does so well. So I'm happy. Sure I'd love to have the looks of Neo/C, but having one that runs is more important (I can't remember the last time Neo/J crashed, and, aside from Stickies, I can't say that about the rest of my apps....)

OK, so I'm tired and am rambling now....
Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

I saw some old screenshots of the 0.x series the other day, and it's easy to see how far we've already come with that sort of comparison...

Do you have some of these online?
So that I can show the work that have been accomplished?

It has hit MacBidouille, XLR8YourMac and HardMac also.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8