NeoOffice :: View topic - Compiling HEAD on 10.4
Compiling HEAD on 10.4

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject:

If you have not signed Sun's JCA then you cannot contribute code to OpenOffice.org. This is but another one of the reasons for us having a second project. The original OOo CA allowed for less than 5 lines to be donated without copyright assignment, but under JCA any line of code donated to OOo must be accompanied by that JCA so Sun can legally have co-ownership of it. All that you can do is offer suggestions Sad

I think the problem may be due to gcc 3.3 since, with the XCode 2.1 update, STLport no longer builds properly. I was out of town and soon shall be dealing with a fire at my house (well, rented house, but it still blows) so may be pre-occupied for a few weeks and not able to make too much progress.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I was out of town and soon shall be dealing with a fire at my house (well, rented house, but it still blows) so may be pre-occupied for a few weeks and not able to make too much progress.

Ouch Sad Not a fun thing, especially not to come home to. Hope everything works out OK....

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If you have not signed Sun's JCA then you cannot contribute code to OpenOffice.org. This is but another one of the reasons for us having a second project. The original OOo CA allowed for less than 5 lines to be donated without copyright assignment, but under JCA any line of code donated to OOo must be accompanied by that JCA so Sun can legally have co-ownership of it. All that you can do is offer suggestions Sad

Thanks. I have to contact the legal department of my company in order to find out if I can sign the JCA.

OPENSTEP wrote:

I think the problem may be due to gcc 3.3 since, with the XCode 2.1 update, STLport no longer builds properly. I was out of town and soon shall be dealing with a fire at my house (well, rented house, but it still blows) so may be pre-occupied for a few weeks and not able to make too much progress.

Ouch. BTW, can I make this known in the issue that I submitted that was handed off to you. I would just make the statement that you are otherwise busy for the next few weeks.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm unsure if the XCode update is the issue, but I know that on my Cube I'm still using the gcc version in 2.0 and I updated my powerbook to 2.1. I don't think the gcc 3.3 build changed, however, so I'm at a loss as to why it's not building. I may get more time to look at this again, but I may not be able to get much dedicated time until August if it's not a simple issue.

FWIW I already have committed the STLport patch for 10.4's different include files, and that did compile fine on my other box, so this build failure is confusing to say the least and the only thing I did on this powerbook was to update the dev tools.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Ah fark, it seems that applying the XCode update undid my previous gcc_select and reverted my box back to 4.0 as the default. Another good thing to note for the future, always check the version of gcc after updating XCode.

It's also sad that the OOo build system doesn't verify that the gcc version hasn't changed at the start of each build to make sure the environment settings files don't need updating.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
FWIW I already have committed the STLport patch for 10.4's different include files, and that did compile fine on my other box, so this build failure is confusing to say the least and the only thing I did on this powerbook was to update the dev tools.

To which child workspace or IZ?

I'm presently working on the libdb_java.4.2.jinilib problem. I found a typo in the file.scp fix where the . was not added.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject:

Oh, committing patches to the Neo CVS repository; I am not doing any patch committing into the OOo CVS workspaces at the present time as I am trying to resurrect the NeoJ build to prep for the Intel transition. Thus far I haven't found anything that's too drastically different from other outstanding patches in OOo IZ and I've made suggestions on better approaches where warranted.

On a different note...

After switching the compiler back to 3.3 STLport built just fine. The build failure on my powerbook is now the idlc tool failure during udkapi, so we're back to a common test case at least Smile

Eventually Neo will need to be able to be built with gcc 4.0 as I have not seen any intention of supporting Mactel with 3.3. That's the next task after getting it to build on 10.4.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Oh, committing patches to the Neo CVS repository; I am not doing any patch committing into the OOo CVS workspaces at the present time as I am trying to resurrect the NeoJ build to prep for the Intel transition. Thus far I haven't found anything that's too drastically different from other outstanding patches in OOo IZ and I've made suggestions on better approaches where warranted.

On a different note...

After switching the compiler back to 3.3 STLport built just fine. The build failure on my powerbook is now the idlc tool failure during udkapi, so we're back to a common test case at least Smile

Eventually Neo will need to be able to be built with gcc 4.0 as I have not seen any intention of supporting Mactel with 3.3. That's the next task after getting it to build on 10.4.

Ed:

Got somewhere that I can send you a 600KB patch file that does build idlc so that the udkapi project will build? BTW, does idlc break on the giop.idl file with an error 138? That was the error that I got and a patch for sal fixed it (if my logic is not flawed.)

Also, look at the IZ on OOo for getting the SRX645 branch to build under gcc 4.0. I think that ericb is working on that.

This is the next task after getting a build for sound through the PASF feature.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:

You can just e-mail patches to me or just IM me them.

The problem is a bus error in idlc. Idlc isn't exiting with an error, it's crashing as rscdep was on my other box (and register)...there's something insidious going on in sal or lower that's corrupting memory. It's the only thing really that all of them have in common.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
You can just e-mail patches to me or just IM me them.

Which one? Your neooffice or openoffice? I will try to get the file to you as soon as possible.

OPENSTEP wrote:

The problem is a bus error in idlc. Idlc isn't exiting with an error, it's crashing as rscdep was on my other box (and register)...there's something insidious going on in sal or lower that's corrupting memory. It's the only thing really that all of them have in common.

I decided to build udkapi with the -v option and that's where I seen the bus error as error code 138. I also looked at the files which were created in the /tmp directory. I found no errors in the files and I ran idlc in terminal with the contents of one of the files and it errored.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Yup, that's what I'm getting myself. There's definitely some type of memory corruption going on. The stupid thing is that I couldn't track it down in rscdep, and thus far have not had luck with trying to find it in idlc.

The only main culprits I can think of are:

1) Some strange difference in libsystem or mmap() in the new libsystem on 10.4.

2) gcc 3.3 related issues (abi change from 3.0/1?)

It's gotta be one of those since obviously it's the identical code to what's in 1.1 Final compiled on 10.2. The stlport changes only fix the include syntax, not actually any code changes.

It very well may be that the same issue exists in the 1.1.5 and 2.0 mac sources when built on tiger since it's dependent on machine configuration (!).

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Which one? Your neooffice or openoffice? I will try to get the file to you as soon as possible.

Either will work. They all go to the same mailserver here on my floor.

I'd like to examine them to check out any relevant changes to sal or the uno bindings. Thus far I haven't seen any on OOo HEAD at least that are of any import for tiger.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Either will work. They all go to the same mailserver here on my floor.

I'd like to examine them to check out any relevant changes to sal or the uno bindings. Thus far I haven't seen any on OOo HEAD at least that are of any import for tiger.

I will try to get them to you this evening or tomorrow.

I did not find any changes for the uno package, but they may be sprinkled throughout the other changes.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject:

No rush. I'm very busy this month myself with lots of personal committments. Still, it may be good to debug these crashes. It's very possible that the patches may simply workaround the problem and it could cause subtle problems further on down the line that are equally as difficult to track down (e.g. switching memory allocators solved it for the entire build process only to have things break in the setup application)

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
No rush. I'm very busy this month myself with lots of personal committments. Still, it may be good to debug these crashes. It's very possible that the patches may simply workaround the problem and it could cause subtle problems further on down the line that are equally as difficult to track down (e.g. switching memory allocators solved it for the entire build process only to have things break in the setup application)

As I write this, a build of Neo/J is running on Tiger. It is at the point where the Neo/J specific modules are built. Before, I ran this build, I sent you a set of patches that I found out were broke when I started the build. After the build finishes, I will send you a new set that are 'fixed'. If this works, I will be suprized, but then again, it may just work. At least it is a starting point.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7