Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo/Mac using QT4?
OOo/Mac using QT4?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mox
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: OOo/Mac using QT4?

Hi all, and thanks for all the work on NO/J!

I know this is kind of off-topic, but I would like to know what you think about it and whether you know any goods/bads of this approach...

So, Trolltech published QT 4.0 lately. It's GPL:d and one of the two major toolkits on Linux/X11.

What makes QT different from GTK is that it's C++ based and is being aggressively made truly cross-platform. That is, the toolkit itself is using native widgets on both WinXP and Mac OSX.

As I understand it, there is already (at least partly) working QT/KDE plugin in OOo 2.0 for Linux. It uses the NWF or what ever the new framework is called in OOo.

Reading the QT 4 docs and looking the widget screenshots, I wonder whether it would be a good toolkit for porting OOo to Mac native. I think the C++ makes it a nice fit for OOo and the X11 background of QT could help in getting the stuff work.

What do you think?
Links: QMacStyle with picture of QT 4 using native widgets on mac and Mac issues on QT

All the best,

Mox
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject:

I don't know how things have changed since then, but here are Ed's and Patrick's explanations the last time Qt came up....

(Altogether too difficult to find via search, unfortunately Evil or Very Mad)

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject:

The Qt work in OOo right now is not actually making a full Qt VCL implementation, but rather a combination of X11 with Qt rendering funneled through the NWF. Doesn't help us at all. We're already on the right track and are better off using Carbon instead of trying to shoehorn in yet another wrapper Smile

ed
trenchard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject:

A great advantage would be, that it would be possible to develop under linux or windows and "just" have to do a recompile on macos x when it´s finished. Would it be easier to port the Neooffice/J approach to Java 1.4 or would it be the same effort to improve the Qt-bindings?

greetz
Trench

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:

update: Maybe, if the main OpenOffice project would switch to Qt some time, it would be much easier to stay in sync with the main trunk!

greetz Trench
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1