Bloody MacFixit

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Bloody MacFixit

What's the matter with these people? MacFixit today begins a report:
Quote:
Microsoft Office faces competition from NeoOffice Techworld reports on the release of the Mac OS X-compatible, Java-based NeoOffice/J, a potentially serious competitor for Microsoft Office...

But if you follow their link to the TechWorld page there's no mention at all of java.

And of course I can't point MacFixit in the direction of the wiki because it's sicki at the moment - is there another url to direct them to the faq that explains how much Neo/J isn't java-based? I'd like to get them to modify their statement.

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bloody MacFixit

yoxi wrote:
And of course I can't point MacFixit in the direction of the wiki because it's sicki at the moment - is there another url to direct them to the faq that explains how much Neo/J isn't java-based? I'd like to get them to modify their statement.

Your wish is my command Smile

archived "NeoOffice/J and Aqua"

Links don't work or anything, but that's the page you want, no?

The Techworld article sounds like a condensed version of the eweek one....

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject:

I've posted a comment on their main page now that quotes that section from the wiki (minus the "Thus Neo/J will only run on OSX" bit, to keep it concise).

This does make me wonder (as have many in the past, so feel free to ignore my equanamous opinion Smile) whether Neo/J could stand to lose its /J now.
/J = jerk-of-knee in so many mac users' dictionaries, seemeth.

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
I've posted a comment on their main page now that quotes that section from the wiki

Good to see you're filling in for JKT while his PB is at Doctor Apple (JKT is a frequent commentor at MacFixIt) Smile

yoxi wrote:
This does make me wonder (as have many in the past, so feel free to ignore my equanamous opinion Smile) whether Neo/J could stand to lose its /J now.
/J = jerk-of-knee in so many mac users' dictionaries, seemeth.

Yeah, a good many of the comments in the first slashdot story were either people complaining about Neo/J's use of Java or people complaining that OOo should have used Java on all platforms "like NeoOffice did" or people claiming that OOo was already largely written in Java.... Surprisingly, very few comments from the "OOo 2 is evil because it uses Java and Java is non-Free" crowd, probably because it was an apple.slashdot.org article rather than a general OOo article....

Anyway, I think we last talked about the "to /J or not to /J" in December, we determined that 1) we should keep the /J at least through the 1.1 release cycle, for consistency's sake, and because Neo/C had just been renamed Neo/C; "NeoOffice" still meant the Cocoa version to a lot of people.

There was some argument that "NeoOffice/J" was becoming a clear brand-name and should be retained (although to read the news stories and slashdot comments, it's hard to make that argument now, I think). Some thought the /J was too reminiscent of how Japanese-localized software was named in the Mac OS days.

Finally, there was some support for calling version 2.0 simply "NeoOffice 2.0," since--at least at that time--Neo 2.0 would be fully Aquafied, thus the heir of the stability of Neo/J and the Aqua goodness of Neo/C. That's the camp I'm in, at least right now. Of course, we never really got clear opinions out of Patrick and Ed (other than "not for the 1.1 cycle"), and those are the only two opinions that really matter Smile

Now, however, we have the Intel problem, and it remains to be seen whether Ed is superman enough to do that and all the NWF stuff, too....

Anyway....

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject:

Roll on NeoOffice 2.0 - and may the gods protect us from NeoOffice/I...

- yoxi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:

- yoxi

NeoOffice/I Very Happy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
yoxi wrote:

- yoxi

NeoOffice/I Very Happy

It could be worse, iNeoOffice Laughing

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
It could be worse, iNeoOffice Laughing

Smokey

Please - I'm trying to eat breakfast... anyway, surely once the chip hits the fans, then:

NeoOffice/C -> PaleoOffice
NeoOffice/J -> MesoOffice
NeoOffice/I -> NeoOffice
iConOffice -> NeoOffice announced as the officially approved word processor for writing Steve Jobs' biography (whilst meanwhile the entire team of developers and bugtesters fall out with each other over the choice of new default icons...)

...and I have to return again to SpoonBoyOffice, the version that mysteriously runs perfectly in 256Mb of ram "There is no java..." - deep. Perhaps it uses the rumoured new Apple Development Framework codenamed "Decaf". Let sleeping coders lie.

- yoxi
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1