Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Intel Transition Quote - Thougths?
Intel Transition Quote - Thougths?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Intel Transition Quote - Thougths?

Trolling the rumor mills and came across this:

http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2005/06/25/developers-speak-out-on-the-big-switch-part-iii/

Any thoughts?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Intel Transition Quote - Thougths?

Guest wrote:
Trolling the rumor mills and came across this:

http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2005/06/25/developers-speak-out-on-the-big-switch-part-iii/

Any thoughts?

I fear Louis may have forgotten that Neo needs to switch to Java 1.4 / Cocoa to make it work on Intel..

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Louis isn't an engineer so I'd take anything he says about technical details with a grain of salt. Unfortunately he may not realize that to run on Mactel machines, even OOo X11 will need to be ported again.

While Java may be cross platform, the method of embedding virtual machines is not processor independent. A PowerPC application on Mactel cannot embed a virtual machine into its address space as the Java implementation on Mactel is Intel based. Since OOo X11 2.0 uses Java based components, it will need to embed a virtual machine as well...so it needs to be ported to the Intel tools exactly the same as Neo/J.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject:

I think in part Louis's answer was a good non-answer (since, unlike management in traditional companies, he can't really speak for the porting team), but it does also sound like he's not aware of some of the technical issues (the Java quote, for example, but the compiler bridges are AIUI the bigger issue); AFAIK, he's not a developer, so I don't necessarily expect him to be familiar with all of the issues (I certainly haven't read the Universal Binary document; that's what engineers (Ed Wink) are for Smile).

As I said elsewhere in the thread with Ed, I'm of two minds about statements like this. On one hand it's good not to scare Mac users with doom-and-gloom scenarios (especially given OOo's precarious situation/reputation on the Mac), but on the other hand the Apple-koolaid-drinking statements do create unrealistic expectations that it's a piece of cake and lead users to believe that any dev/company that doesn't have a Universal Binary on day one is either lazy or not committed to the Mac.

So in that sense, the answer is not bad. It's non-commital enough not to dash hopes but not to unrealisticly raise them, either Smile

(Er, I see while I went to dinner with this post unfinished, Ed came by Smile)

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject:

my favorate were some of the slashdot posts that prophisized that oo.o would now simply just work on a mac. poof!

because, ed and patrick, if you didn't know, ALL of your issues are just with the PPC, once we go intel, *magic happens*

oh! and it will be aqua too! and make coffee! (or beer for ed!)

and bill gates will cry because he will love it so much and make MS a mac company.

and it is really early...

-j

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I was reading Josh Ash's blog over at Mozilla and he mentioned that he has possession of an Intel Mac Dev Kit. I think he's based somewhere in Mountain View.

Maybe the two of you could share?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I was reading Josh Ash's blog over at Mozilla and he mentioned that he has possession of an Intel Mac Dev Kit. I think he's based somewhere in Mountain View.

Maybe the two of you could share?

I think it's MoFo that has the Mac rather than Josh himself per se. But I don't think Apple's keen on people sharing Sad

Anyway, the first step is to get things building (and running) cleanly on 10.4, which by Ed's recent posts in the Neo/J dev forum is still a challenge....

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1