Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OpenOffice 2 beta : OS X fonts
OpenOffice 2 beta : OS X fonts

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budx
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:00 am    Post subject: OpenOffice 2 beta : OS X fonts

Hello, i just downloaded the OOo 2 beta (french) for OSX. My question is how i can convert and import the OS X system fonts for use in OOo 2 under X11? Thanks.

PS: your forum account activation is considered as spam by hotmail (think for MS .org is spam)
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject:

You'll need to
1) download and install fondu
and then either
2a) convert and install them manually in /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.9.xxx/share/fonts/truetype
or
2b) use Start OpenOffice.org, which will auto-convert and install any Mac fonts dropped on it (although I don't know how it determines the OOo app locations, so it might not install them in the 1.9.xxx series; Terry?)

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Start OpenOffice.org will ask you the location of your OOo folder as well as X11 on start up.
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Fondu doesn't seem to do anything on my system, and Start Open Office claims it converts them but then I never see them as available in Open Office...

OO: openoffice.org1.9.107
openoffice.org1.9.107
Fondu: Fondu-040925

Color blindness is racism-you assume that I should be like you; color awareness is not-you respect that I am me.
ipan
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject:

The fonts reside in:

Code:
/Applications/openoffice.org1.9.107/share/fonts/truetype/

or wherever you put your installation of OOo. Start OpenOffice.org should ask you where the installation is. And, you probably have to restart the OpenOffice to use them.

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:

If restarting OOo doesn't do it, remove the file name "pspfontcache" from your installation to force the regeneration of the font metric cache. That's how it worked in 1.x anyway...

ed
arcady
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:

Copying fonts over to that directory gives me access to some true type fonts, but not to the normal mac fonts.

I've now got what free windows fonts I've downloaded off the net, but no helvetica, times new roman, etc.

Color blindness is racism-you assume that I should be like you; color awareness is not-you respect that I am me.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject:

You'll have to run fondu on the Mac fonts first. I don't know why Start OpenOffice.org didn't put the fonts in the right place if you used it (and had fondu installed, of course), but you can use the command line (Terminal) to convert.

What I'd do (and have done, since it took three different versions of fondu to convert all my Mac fonts, for some reason!) is to create a temporary folder, say "fondufonts" on the desktop. Then, in the Terminal, "cd" to that by typing "cd" (no quotes) <space> and dragging the fondufonts folder there (which fills in the rest of the path) and hit return.

Then type "fondu" <space> and drag all the fonts you want converted (select all or whatever and then drag) and return.

Some of the fonts will produce bitmaps in addition to TTFs, so sort all the TTFs and copy them to the /Applications/<ooo folder>/share/fonts/truetype and you should be all set (though you may have to delete the psfontcache file like Ed suggested, too).

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject:

In order for OOo X11 to properly recognize a font, it must be a TrueType font file that has an explicit ".ttf" extension. Additionally, there are some Mac character encodings that are not recognized by FreeType, so most non-Roman Mac fonts (e.g. Korean, symbol fonts, and the like) might not be able to be used even if they are converted with fondu to ".ttf" files.

The support of native Mac "dfont" and "otf" fonts in ~/Library/Fonts, /Library/Fonts, etc. requires the VCL layer of NeoOffice/J or an equivalent. I believe freetype may be able to understand a subset of the "otf" fonts too (opentype).

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I believe freetype may be able to understand a subset of the "otf" fonts too (opentype).

Yep. For some of the AAT Arabic TTFs I use with Neo/J there's also a corresponding .otf version which works in OOo. If you call FreeType rendering and OOo's broken kashida support working Smile

I don't believe that OOo or FreeType support the advanced typography features of OpenType, though--just the font format.

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
You'll need to
1) download and install fondu
and then either
2a) convert and install them manually in /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.9.xxx/share/fonts/truetype
or
2b) use Start OpenOffice.org, which will auto-convert and install any Mac fonts dropped on it (although I don't know how it determines the OOo app locations, so it might not install them in the 1.9.xxx series; Terry?)

Smokey

3) if you have FINK COMMANDER just install Fondu and it works
have fun
Mieru
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1