· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - English US vs English UK
English US vs English UK

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: English US vs English UK

When I have set a paragraph in Latvian and there is an English word in it, the spellchecker offers to change the language of that word to English US. But I would prefer English UK. Or even better - that I could control this somehow. Does anybody know how to change it?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject:

I don't have a solution, but I have some "guesses":

1) Set the language of the word manually beforehand (negates the helpfulness of the spell-checker doing it automatically) Smile Yoxi's macro down in this thread in the Neo/J testing forum might make this fairly easy....

2) Disable the en-US dictionary by removing it from the dictionary.lst, but I've found it near impossible to disable the various en-* dictionaries (I *only* want en-US, not en-PH or en-ZW); no matter what I do, Patrick's "fix broken installs" code works so well they're always back Smile

Of all the well-thought out stuff with styles, it amazes me that setting the language of a word/paragraph/anything other than an entire document is so complex and tied up with fonts, especially when 90% of the OOo audience, if they're working multi-lingually, are going to be using two langauges within the same "group" (either "Western" or CTL [all the languages of India these days])....

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: language settings

There is an option in Preferences>Language settings>Languages for setting the default language for documents. Bizarrely I find mine is set to German, not something I would select myself. Could that setting be used in combination with the language settings for the default paragraph/character style?

For example, if you had the default paragraph style set to Latvian and the default document language set to English EN, would that make the spellchecker offer you English EN for non-Latvian words?

Even as I type this it strikes me as unlikely to work. Confused

I have to concur with Smokey's final comments.

Mr Gruff
bezvardis
Keymaker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

1) Set the language of the word manually beforehand (negates the helpfulness of the spell-checker doing it automatically) Smile Yoxi's macro down in this thread in the Neo/J testing forum might make this fairly easy....

Of all the well-thought out stuff with styles, it amazes me that setting the language of a word/paragraph/anything other than an entire document is so complex and tied up with fonts, especially when 90% of the OOo audience, if they're working multi-lingually, are going to be using two langauges within the same "group" (either "Western" or CTL [all the languages of India these days])....

Smokey

Thank you for the hint to the discussion on switching languages in a document. I have been longing for this feature for a long time and thought that it did not exist at all. Well. Witht all the macro recording and everything - still I find the multilinguality of OOo way superior to that of MS office. For example, I am working with documents that may be simultaneously in Latvian, English and Croatian/Serbian. Most of the times the spellchecker recognises that the words might be in these languages and offer switch of language (unlike MSOffice that converted all my Latvian immediately into Czech and did its own spellchecking Shocked ) It's only regrettable that some very important things are hidden under little intuitive procedures
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1