Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - local ftp not working/blocked??
local ftp not working/blocked??

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webslurn
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: local ftp not working/blocked??

Hi folks,

I've been trying last night and today to download from the downloads section of this site and get a 421 No Anonymous Logins error message. Is there something wrong with the ftp server? Or has its 2 connections max ( Crying or Very sad ) been exceeded?

I tried to come in via command line ftp and and used my registered trinity username and password and also "anonymous." No luck.

Two other comments:
1) To help out a bit, I will look into mirroring the downloads and get back with you (considering I'm able to download the packages, myself Wink ).

Your server is obviously over-taxed. We are pretty friendly to open source projects here (Ohio State University) and I might be able to find a home for the 8 packages currently listed, as long as expectation for the number of downloads is not crazily high--it doesn't seem to be at this point.

2) This is a wonderful project you guys are involved in. I'd be happy to be a tester or contribute in some other manner. If OpenOffice.org can produce a fully Mac0SX-ified/Cocoa/Aqua-ized version soon and advertise it well, it seems to me you might attract converts and be able to grab significant usership from MS Office--especially given their recent dropping of Mac IE development.

Great work, y'all.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject:

Yeah, you're just hitting the brick wall of 2 connections max. Part of the problem is that the FTP server's set up for max users, not split bandwidth. So the number of users is so low until my upstream bandwidth is increased on my DSL (the work order's been in place for two weeks and just not executed by my ISP!), or until I can get an FTP server configured that will just limit overall bandwidth so I can split it up better for more users (e.g. if someone's on a dialup, they can't suck up one of the user slots).

There is no account linkage between trinity and the FTP server...they are completely separate.

As to mirroring, I've been thinking about trying to coordiante a BitTorrent server here for folks to use as a P2P system for our littler projects. Would it be helpful to have a "Mirrors" forum for people to list them? Once the OOo 1.0.3 final gets released, the full OOo installer, tarball, and localizer will be moving onto the fast OOo mirror network.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Re:FTP mirrors

OPENSTEP wrote:
As to mirroring, I've been thinking about trying to coordiante a BitTorrent server here for folks to use as a P2P system for our littler projects. Would it be helpful to have a "Mirrors" forum for people to list them? Once the OOo 1.0.3 final gets released, the full OOo installer, tarball, and localizer will be moving onto the fast OOo mirror network.

ed

(I am having to type with fuzzy green text, so it is hard to see what I am typing - will send you the PICT separately).
I would ber curious to know why you apparently haven't taken up the offer from www.ooodocs.org to host a mirror of the weekly builds...

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Re:FTP mirrors

Terry Teague wrote:
(I am having to type with fuzzy green text, so it is hard to see what I am typing - will send you the PICT separately).

Seems like a CSS problem off the top of my head, will investigate further.

Terry Teague wrote:
I would ber curious to know why you apparently haven't taken up the offer from www.ooodocs.org to host a mirror of the weekly builds...

I know this sounds cheesy, but I simply haven't had time during the last week to week and a half to get coordinated with the mirrors. Between 8 hours a day on my real job, 8 hours a day on trying to do OOo related stuff (and eating lots of chinese take out), a couple things have unfortunately fallen through the woodwork Embarassed I have the wheels in place for the access about 8 days ago, but haven't done requisite reading to figure out how to set up an ssh tunnel to the appropriate CVS server to get it onto the project.

Several other folks have also offered to help mirror, but I haven't had the time to get everything coordinated yet. The easy one was to use our testing iDisk, but that didn't have space for the full dimage installer, only the tarball. I did get the RC2 tarball up there, at least Smile

Since (hopefully) we'll be out of this RC mode soon, that's why I've kind of relegated it to hindsight as an honest mistake and acknowledging that we need to find a better way to distribute these builds and our weeklies in the future...that is, get mirrors ready before our crunch period instead of flailing around during it. Our 1.1 beta/release process will definitely include faster mirrors for exchange between testers.

Unfortunately, each major testing or GM style release is still a learning process for me, and this one really was the first one that I tried to coordinate as a more "open" process to testing the release candidates.

Previously we would simply exchange them among less then 5 people, which really made coordination and bandwidth a non-issue (or less of an issue). It was easy to simply use e-mail (or phone calls) to get everything working together. And iceni.org was nice to have for fast xfers (now gone, due to ways that life change).

I thought the biggest problem in an open process would be coordination, so started using this server to send out announcements, try to use the forums/comments as public e-mail threads, etc. The difficult part turned out to be distribution (and my crackheaded ISP that's now delayed my connection upgrade for three weeks).

It's been a learning process, for sure, and will continue to improve. The mirrors will definitely be set up for the next go around and it'll be a priority before we enter our actual test/bugfix phase.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1