Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Is the GUI work dead?
Is the GUI work dead?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Is the GUI work dead?

So I sincerely don't have an answer to this question. And I'm not sure if the Neo-Iconer tool is serving a purpose besides a toy for the tinkerer. And I'm not sure where, if anywhere, to put further effort.

Ideally, I'd like to recruit/encourage some real artist-types to get on board and start an aquafied look and feel. I'm ready and willing to offer tools and/or whatever technical support I can to make this happen. But I'm not sure exactly how to proceed. And, for that matter, how to build a concensensual set of expectations that everyone would be happy with (look and feel being incredibly subjective.)

Anyway, I'm not just trying to sound off. I'd love to hear from those who have been on this project long enough to have insight. And to see if we could build a list of goals to make the GUI happen.
ovvldc (away)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is the GUI work dead?

berchca wrote:
So I sincerely don't have an answer to this question. And I'm not sure if the Neo-Iconer tool is serving a purpose besides a toy for the tinkerer. And I'm not sure where, if anywhere, to put further effort.
Anyway, I'm not just trying to sound off. I'd love to hear from those who have been on this project long enough to have insight. And to see if we could build a list of goals to make the GUI happen.

Well, my work is on hold as a few other things have been eating my time. I put up my latest collection at geocities together with a screenshot. A few people seem to have grabbed that but I haven't heard from them about improvements.

In any case, I do not have the artistic talent to make a really good set.

Depending on the timeframe that Patrick has in mind for moving to the OOo 1.1.6 codebase, I could put in the time to produce a set that I find acceptable for my own uses. These could go in as a bandaid for the existing ones.

Personally, I feel the most visible buttons need the most work (those are the ones I targeted so far). I could live with most of the Gnome icons, if that ugly black border were removed.

As for a consensus, I don't see how we can reach that other than by icon-to-icon discussion and/votes. I'd like to see someone nominate an (almost) complete set, and then have counternominations on the less than perfect icons. That way, we can zoom in on controversial or high profile ones.

Anyone else care to weigh in? I would put time into this, if I have the impression there are people willing to contribute a significant number of icons.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:

On a sidenote, I was hoping to be able to pick up on NWF after the 1.1 Final release, but personally my widget porting work is on hold after realizing we won't be able to run on Mactel machines without a native version. I hadn't anticipated that obscure bugs would be introduced simply by trying to compile on 10.4. Compile errors I can deal with fairly easily, memory corruption no Sad

ed
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is the GUI work dead?

ovvldc (away) wrote:
berchca wrote:

Well, my work is on hold as a few other things have been eating my time. I put up my latest collection at geocities together with a screenshot. A few people seem to have grabbed that but I haven't heard from them about improvements.

In any case, I do not have the artistic talent to make a really good set.

Depending on the timeframe that Patrick has in mind for moving to the OOo 1.1.6 codebase, I could put in the time to produce a set that I find acceptable for my own uses. These could go in as a bandaid for the existing ones.

Personally, I feel the most visible buttons need the most work (those are the ones I targeted so far). I could live with most of the Gnome icons, if that ugly black border were removed.

As for a consensus, I don't see how we can reach that other than by icon-to-icon discussion and/votes. I'd like to see someone nominate an (almost) complete set, and then have counternominations on the less than perfect icons. That way, we can zoom in on controversial or high profile ones.

Anyone else care to weigh in? I would put time into this, if I have the impression there are people willing to contribute a significant number of icons.

Thanks for your work on this, Brett. I also don't have the talent to design icons. I have tried copying and adding in a few icons to other sets where I could, to replace or add to what was in the basic set. I tend to think the gnome ones are pretty bland. I prefer the kde look, where the icons are available. I am currently using a NuvCrys set with your program NeoIconer. However, FWIW, I am more than happy to try out and respond to new sets.
berchca
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Well...

Maybe it's time we did some serious outside recruiting, as we are limited in the artist field. I imagine this would involve first drafting a letting and posting it somewhere on a NeoOffice website, and then posting to various open source / graphics places trying to get people to get involved.

I'm not sure how to go about doing the first. I mean, a letter I could write. But posting it probably requires some higher up support within this group...
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is the GUI work dead?

[quote="ovvldc (away)"]
berchca wrote:

Personally, I think that we should grab whatever set is the most complete at this moment in time and replace what is currently the default - even with black borders and all, that set is INFINITELY better than what is being used at present so is there anyway we can ditch it ASAP? Wink Razz

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Well...

berchca wrote:
Maybe it's time we did some serious outside recruiting, as we are limited in the artist field. I imagine this would involve first drafting a letting and posting it somewhere on a NeoOffice website, and then posting to various open source / graphics places trying to get people to get involved.

I'm not sure how to go about doing the first. I mean, a letter I could write. But posting it probably requires some higher up support within this group...

You can always use the wiki for that...even for "posting," as long as you don't submit the posting to any high-traffic sites Smile

Do you have a good idea of the number of icons that need to be created and what all the "functions" the represent are?

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Well...

sardisson wrote:
Do you have a good idea of the number of icons that need to be created and what all the "functions" the represent are?

I think about 20 icons. I had most things sorted, based on the Gnome set, but I felt that some icons had to be fixed in Object Insert, Zoom and Form toolbars.

See also this thread.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Well...

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:

I think about 20 icons.

20? I thought there were hundreds of toolbar icons in OOo/Neo?

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject:

As I am one of the laggards in this GUI work, I took a quick stab tonight (finally!) at seeing what I needed to do to produce toolbar versions of the document icons, per a post of Oscar's from ages ago.

If someone wants to throw these into Neo-Iconer and see what they look like, that'd be great. I've done no tweaking to speak of, just trying to see what tools and processes I'd need to shrink and convert formats.

Writer document

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Well...

sardisson wrote:
20? I thought there were hundreds of toolbar icons in OOo/Neo?

Definetely, but there's about 20 in the Gnome set that I feel are so ugly they need to be replaced. The rest can be kept, as far as I am concerned..

As I said, my own goal is towards something acceptable, not a completely new aqua set - I'm not an artist and don't have enough time.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1