· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New install - only toolbar displayed, nothing else
New install - only toolbar displayed, nothing else

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n6opv

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: New install - only toolbar displayed, nothing else

Hi all,

I have just installed the latest NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha along with the Patch 1 running OS X 10.3.9 with current updates. The install went well and the program seems to start but nothing is displayed on the screen, ever. I do get the NeoOffice toolbar and the menus drop down and even seem to work but nothing is ever displayed on the screen. I've run out of things to check and places to search. Can anyone point me to an existing resolution or offer any ideas? Thanks!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New install - only toolbar displayed, nothing else

n6opv wrote:
I have just installed the latest NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha along with the Patch 1 running OS X 10.3.9 with current updates. The install went well and the program seems to start but nothing is displayed on the screen, ever. I do get the NeoOffice toolbar and the menus drop down and even seem to work but nothing is ever displayed on the screen. I've run out of things to check and places to search. Can anyone point me to an existing resolution or offer any ideas? Thanks!

If you launch NeoOffice and then open the /Applications/Utilities/Console application, are there any error messages? If there are no windows appearing on the screen, I would suspect that Java will log some error messages in the console log.

Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New install - only toolbar displayed, nothing else

pluby wrote:
If you launch NeoOffice and then open the /Applications/Utilities/Console application, are there any error messages? If there are no windows appearing on the screen, I would suspect that Java will log some error messages in the console log.

Patrick

Thanks for the reply. I tried that a few times, restarted a few times, tried it a few times again. There's nothing there except the Mac OS X version, time and date.

Jason
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject:

So at least we now know that Java is messed up. Can you try the following and report if there is any change?:

1. Quit NeoOffice, move each of the following folders (if they exist), and restart NeoOffice:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x
~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1

2. If that doesn't fix things, can you execute the following command in a Terminal:

Code:
ls -l /Library/Java/Extensions /System/Library/Java/Extensions /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/ext

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:

The first folder was present, moved, then recreated when I restarted NeoOffice. The second was not present. There was no change - still just a toolbar.

The command was executed in Terminal with the following response:

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.2/Home/lib/ext:
total 1240
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 33078 25 Aug 13:14 apple_provider.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 53253 25 Aug 12:52 ldapsec.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 423031 25 Aug 12:50 localedata.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 111430 25 Aug 12:23 sunjce_provider.jar

/System/Library/Java/Extensions:
total 2888
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 130912 12 Sep 2003 CoreAudio.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 28066 25 Aug 11:51 MRJToolkit.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 114875 22 Sep 23:15 QTJSupport.jar
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1179798 22 Sep 23:16 QTJava.zip
-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 15429 31 Jan 2005 dns_sd.jar

Doesn't mean much to me; maybe something to you? Smile

Jason
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject:

I think that I know what the problem is. I found that while testing other people's user preference files on my machine that sometimes a modal dialog would appear off of the screen. My thinking is that in your case, maybe all windows are appearing off of the screen.

I have fixed the "windows appearing off of the screen bug" in Neo 1.2 Alpha "Patch-2" that I just posted. Can you download it and see if it fixes your problem?:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
My thinking is that in your case, maybe all windows are appearing off of the screen.

Patrick,

Well, I feel kind of stupid now... all of the windows ARE appearing off of the screen... on my second monitor! It never even occured to me to turn it on and check. I only use it when I'm in Photoshop; I drag my image onto it so it won't be cluttered by tools. Wow, and here I thought it was something really complex.

I'm off to bed now but I will download the patch tomorrow and return with a full report. Thank you!

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have fixed the "windows appearing off of the screen bug" in Neo 1.2 Alpha "Patch-2" that I just posted. Can you download it and see if it fixes your problem?

Well, it did fix the problem... once. The first time I opened NeoOffice, the opening splash was still on the 2nd monitor, but the main program came up in the main monitor. I worked on a few documents and a spreadsheet I pulled of of the PC and the only other oddity I noticed was occasionally a dialog box would appear on the other monitor. I believe this was confined to only a couple of the buttons on the vertical toolbar.

Unfortunately, my good fortune was short lived. Every subsequent start of the program has resulted in all windows opening on the 2nd monitor again. I can drag it back to the main monitor and most everything will stay there, but I can't make it start there again.

Jason
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1