Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Microsoft Access access
Microsoft Access access

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guavaman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Access access

I downloaded OpenOffice and NeoOfficeJ mainly so I would be able use my Imac to open an Access database created on my PC. Before I bought the Mac, I downloaded OO to a Windows XP notebook, and was able to open the database from OO. However, all instructions for opening an Access database seem to assume one has a Windows computer. Is there a way to do this on the Mac? I am currently using NeoOfficeJ, as I could not get OO to open properly. I really want to be able to use the database from both the Mac desktop and the PC notebook.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject:

Most likely the Windows instructions are using an ODBC Access driver through the JDBC-ODBC database bridge. OOo doesn't support Access directly (AFAIK). What you'll want to look for is an Access-compatible JDBC driver. To run on a Mac, you'll need either a "Type 3" or "Type 4" JDBC driver that supports Access, ones where the driver itself is pure Java and doesn't contain any dependencies on either Microsoft Windows ODBC drivers or the MFC Jet libraries. I've never seen any free drivers of that type myself, but I have seen commercial alternatives.

ed
guavaman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access access

I found a link to a company caled Easysoft that has the JDBC driver I believe I need. Now, I know nothing about Linus or Java (beyond what they are), but I'm hoping that won't stop me from getting this to work. I did manage to open my Access database on my XP notebook using OpenOffice, and hopefully this won't be much more complicated than that was. I'll let you know how it works out.
guavaman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Access access

Well, it appears I will have to give up the quest. I downloaded a JDBC-ODBC driver from Easysoft, but I haven't the foggiest idea what to do with it. The installation text file says to run the Install program, but double-clicking that gets me an error message saying that "there is no default appication to run the program 'Install' and giving me the option to choose an application. I think I'm in over my head here.

If anyone thinks they can walk me through this process (considering I know nothing about Linux, OBDC or programming for that matter), I would welcome the help. Otherwise, I'll have to settle for converting my Access tables to spreadsheets, which NeoOfficeJ will open. Not the perfect solution, but better than nothing.

George
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, you can't use a "JDBC-ODBC" driver...those drivers will try to use an ODBC Access extension (ODBC is native code, not Java code, and Mac OS X has no native ODBC drivers). Probably the one you found is going through either the Microsoft ODBC driver or the MFC Jet engine (I think Jet does Access, but may be wrong).

You'll have to search for a Type 3 or a Type 4 JDBC driver. These will not have "ODBC" in the name. They should say "JDBC Type 3" or "JDBC Type 4" somewhere. They're pure Java JDBC drivers. A Type 3 driver goes from Java to a network protocol to an intermediary server application that accesses the database. A Type 4 driver can go straight to the database.

While I do know of Type 3 and Type 4 JDBC drivers for going to SQL Server, I don't know of any firsthand that can go to Access.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Brief google searching to get you started brought up this thread:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=569904

ed
guavaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Access access

As has been stated earlier, there doesn't appear to be a free or reasonably priced (for my usage) JDBC driver available. I had already found the Sun site, and every link there was for commercial enterprises meant for business uses. For now, I'll use the coversion to speadsheet solution. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Mac Newbie george
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1