NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.2 Alpha
NeoOffice/J 1.2 Alpha

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The fundamental problem is that no one doing the builds for official release comprehends the needs of the problem at hand.

I think that either Eric B or Eric H pointed out that the system libraries changed between Panther and Tiger. There is an effort to try and get a Panther build to run (completely) on Tiger. They really don't want over 50 different builds floating around for OOo 2.0.

OPENSTEP wrote:

Since libraries are incorporated in the OOo build process through simplistic -L directives, you have to build the program on the minimal configuration of OS + X server + supporting apps on which you want the s/w to be able to run. If you link against a newer binary version, dyld will barf when it can't find the correct symbols.

I've run into this with most (if not all) of the Operating Systems that allow builds against dynamic libraries. The most common solution (and this creates HUGE binaries) is to statically link EVERYTHING into the program.

OPENSTEP wrote:

I used to spend a lot of time on the X11 builds and underestimated the work producing a build and installer that can function on the majority of OS and supporting X11 variants. It's not trivial, but it's incredibly boring and requires a lot of free partitions lingering around to do it right.

I think you meant to say you have to copious amounts of hard drive space and 'free' time. Most of us have neither, although I am looking into the method to put in a 7200 rpm 80 GB hard drive into my PB G4. Any ideas? (And I don't have a lot of $$$ (money) nor time to hand over my system to a company that can do this for me.) I realize that doing so will void what's left of my warrenty which expires sometime in November.
Upgrading the hard drive of my IBM Thinkpad (where this drive will come from) improved system performence tremendously. This was for both WindowsXX and Linux (several different distros.)

James

Last edited by jjmckenzie51 on Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I finally figured out how to fix a JVM bug that exists only on Tiger. The bug was that when clipping a non-rectangular area, the JVM would make all sides of the area one pixel bigger than the true area. This bug would cause all sorts of stray pixels to be left on the screen when you did any dragging of objects in a document.

I have fixed this bug and I have also found a way to prevent all of the spurious "ERROR: " messages that the JVM writes from flooding the console log. You can get the latest fixes by executing the following commands. This will rebuild the full installer and the patch:

cd neojava
cvs update -d stoc vcl
rm build.neo_stoc_patch build.neo_vcl_patch
rm build.patch_package
make build.patch_package

I will be taking a few days off but when I get back next week, I will start working on the big three things that need to be done before I can put out the first Java 1.4 test patch:

1. Reimplementing printing so that it doesn't use so much memory
2. Reimplementing font loading and font name matching
3. Reimplementing OpenGL support

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I finally figured out how to fix a JVM bug that exists only on Tiger. The bug was that when clipping a non-rectangular area, the JVM would make all sides of the area one pixel bigger than the true area. This bug would cause all sorts of stray pixels to be left on the screen when you did any dragging of objects in a document.

Thank you for finding/fixing this bug.

pluby wrote:

I have fixed this bug and I have also found a way to prevent all of the spurious "ERROR: " messages that the JVM writes from flooding the console log.

I have not looked at the console logs, but I'm betting they are huge.

pluby wrote:

You can get the latest fixes by executing the following commands.

I pick up fixes on every weekday. I will not do so until you state fixes are ready.

pluby wrote:

I will be taking a few days off

You deserve a break. Enjoy it.

I will attempt to look at the code because I am getting a warning back from the C++ code about an already declared 'friend' function in vcl. I will post back a section of my build logs so that you can look at it.

James
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

cd neojava
cvs update -d stoc vcl
rm build.neo_stoc_patch build.neo_vcl_patch
rm build.patch_package
make build.patch_package

Found a build error and included the section that shows the warning message. Warning message is on top, error is on the bottom.

In file included from ../../inc/outdev.hxx:429,
from ../../inc/window.hxx:69,
from ../../inc/syswin.hxx:69,
from ../../inc/wrkwin.hxx:69,
from /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:103:
../../inc/outdev.imp:64: warning: class `OutputDevice' is implicitly friends with itself
../../inc/outdev.imp:65: warning: `VirtualDevice' is already a friend of `OutputDevice'
../../inc/outdev.imp:73: warning: `vcl::PDFWriterImpl' is already a friend of `OutputDevice'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx: In function `void* RunSVMain(void*)':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:203: error: `_exit' undeclared (first use this function)
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:203: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in.)
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx: In member function `virtual vos::OSignalHandler::TSignalAction ImplVCLExceptionHandler::signal(oslSignalInfo*)':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:229: warning: comparison between `enum oslSignal' and `enum vos::OSignalHandler::TSignal'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:230: warning: comparison between `enum oslSignal' and `enum vos::OSignalHandler::TSignal'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:231: warning: comparison between `enum oslSignal' and `enum vos::OSignalHandler::TSignal'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:232: warning: comparison between `enum oslSignal' and `enum vos::OSignalHandler::TSignal'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:236: warning: comparison between `enum oslSignal' and `enum vos::OSignalHandler::TSignal'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:241: warning: comparison between `enum oslSignal' and `enum vos::OSignalHandler::TSignal'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:246: warning: comparison between `enum oslSignal' and `enum vos::OSignalHandler::TSignal'
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx: In function `BOOL SVMain()':
/Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app/svmain.cxx:290: warning: invalid conversion from `void*(*)(void*)' to `void (*)(void*)'
dmake: Error code 1, while making '../../unxmacxp.pro/slo/svmain.obj'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---
dmake: Error code 255, while making 'do_it_exceptions'
---* TG_SLO.MK *---

ERROR: Error 65280 occurred while making /Users/jamesmckenzie/NeoOfficeJ/neojava-14test/neojava/vcl/source/app
make: *** [build.neo_vcl_patch] Error 1

I may be able to find this problem and fix it.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Found the problem. On Tiger, I needed to explicitly include to get the _exit() function.

I have committed the change so cvs update vcl and invoke make build.patch_package again.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Found the problem. On Tiger, I needed to explicitly include to get the _exit() function.

I have committed the change so cvs update vcl and invoke make build.patch_package again.

Building again. I still need to find the reason that I'm getting all of the warnings.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Building again. I still need to find the reason that I'm getting all of the warnings.

Those warnings are normal for the OOo build and are not due to any Neo/J modifications.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Those warnings are normal for the OOo build and are not due to any Neo/J modifications.

Ok. I will check the SRX645_m57 build logs for the same phrases. I'm hoping that I can eliminate some of the warnings as they prove distractive.

James
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I am looking into the method to put in a 7200 rpm 80 GB hard drive into my PB G4. Any ideas?...I realize that doing so will void what's left of my warrenty which expires sometime in November.

Hard drives are considered a user-servicable part by Apple, so replacing your pb's hard drive will not invalidate your warranty (unless you break something else while doing it Smile) and they provide pdf instructions on their site for doing so (bottom right of this page to choose your model). I've replaced both the HDD and the CD drive in my tibook 400MHz, it's really not that fiddly.

And replacing the HDD (with just a 5400) made a big difference to the running speed. Go for it. (Hmm - you can get 7200's for pb's now? Maybe I should... no, you're saving up for an iMac, stop it. But only £103 for a 60Gb? Oh, be quiet - you're getting married on Saturday, remember? What makes you think you'll have any money left after that? Oh, alright...)

- yoxi
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject:

Well, hard disks are no more user serviceable parts on Aluminium PowerBooks Sad
http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/12al/
http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/15al/
http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/17al/

Only on TiBooks :
http://www.apple.com/uk/support/powerbook/doityourself/15ti/
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject:

val1984 wrote:
Well, hard disks are no more user serviceable parts on Aluminium PowerBooks Sad ...Only on TiBooks...

I'll be damned. I'm still living in the past, I forgot that we tibook owners are a dying breed - but I didn't know that alubook hdds were off the d-i-y list. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't even check.

- yoxi
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject:

Well, I changed mine on my AlBook 15" rev. B and it wasn't that easy but I did it Very Happy
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject:

You can get pdfs of the official Apple tech support manuals (which show how to take them apart and replace components) from here. Having looked at what it takes to get a 15" AlBook apart to install a new hard drive, I would say it is definitely not for the faint of heart! Sad

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
You can get pdfs of the official Apple tech support manuals (which show how to take them apart and replace components) from here. Having looked at what it takes to get a 15" AlBook apart to install a new hard drive, I would say it is definitely not for the faint of heart! Sad

Thanks. That definately answered my question. I will visit the shop that I bought my PBG4 from and ask how much it will cost to move over the drive.

James
Adam_Moore
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Is there a problem with using a portable HD? Like a USB hard drive? It would save you definitely some time and probably some money. I understand it's a powerbook and you would like it to be portable, but you could use this just for building NeoOffice and you would only have to plug it in when you need it.

Just a thought.

Demand Microsoft Support OpenDocument
http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7