Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 1.1 (Final) crash with spell check in multiple languages
1.1 (Final) crash with spell check in multiple languages

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wheat
Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: 1.1 (Final) crash with spell check in multiple languages

I installed NeoOffice/J 1.1 (final) and then ran the AutoPilot: Install New Dictionaries to add support for Spanish (Mexican).

I need to work in English and Spanish within the same document in Writer. English is set up as my main language.

When I position the cursor before some Spanish, and hit the Spell Checker, it defaults to English. If I pull down the menu to indicate that it should switch to checking in Spanish, there is no button to click to get it to continue the spell check in Spanish. If I click on "Ignore" or "Replace" it defaults back to English.

If I click on the Thesaurus button, NeoOffice/J crashes immediately.

This was also the case in some previous Release Candidate patches.

This is not the case in OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 in Windows, to the best of my knowledge

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1.1 (Final) crash with spell check in multiple languages

wheat wrote:
I installed NeoOffice/J 1.1 (final)

You can post in the "Support" forum for final releases Smile

wheat wrote:
When I position the cursor before some Spanish, and hit the Spell Checker, it defaults to English. If I pull down the menu to indicate that it should switch to checking in Spanish, there is no button to click to get it to continue the spell check in Spanish. If I click on "Ignore" or "Replace" it defaults back to English.

This sounds like you have not set your Spanish text to be Spanish. If you've done that, then I don't have any idea Sad

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject:

How do I "set my Spanish text to be Spanish"?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject:

wheat wrote:
How do I "set my Spanish text to be Spanish"?

There's probably a way to do it that makes sense within the OOo style system, but the easiest way is to select the text, choose "Character" from the "Format" menu, choose the "Font" tab, and set the "Western" language to Spanish (or Spanish (Mexican) if that's what it is).

If you're doing entire paragraphs of Spanish, you really want to set up a style, but you can ctrl-click in a paragraph, choose "Edit Paragraph Style..." from the contextual menu, and do the same font-language thing....

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the explanation.

That is not only counter-intuitive but very time consuming.

I need to produce hundreds of pages of documentation with paragraphs that alternate between English and Spanish.

What the heck do "character" and "font" have to do with language between Spanish and English? I'm not changing characters or fonts. Those stay the same. And why is this setting buried three dialogs deep?

This is something that I could never have figured out on my own, and I spent some time searching the NeoOffice documentation to no avail.

I know that this is an OO.org feature and not NeoOffice/J's fault.

Now I'll see about setting up a style sheet. But I think I need to fork over the $150 for Microsoft Office Student Teacher Edition and forget about NeoOffice and OO.org.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I agree completely. The system works fine if you're working in one language, or even three langauges, as long as they are in different categories, but it otherwise fails completely for common multilingualism--especially since the majority of the languages OOo supports all fall in that first "Western" category Sad

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Let me just close by saying that I think the NeoOffice/J project is an excellent, wonderful thing.

It's just that this product's features don't suit the work I now find that I need to do. Bi-lingual document production, even between two closely related languages like Spanish and English, is a pretty specialized feature that very few users would need. From what I've seen, Microsoft Word handles this better than any other product currently available. Beyond that there's Adobe InDesign, and I may end up graduating to that, later.

Thanks for the prompt response and clear instructions.

yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject:

You could abandon us, Wheat (sob) - but on the other hand, if you're always working with, for example, Spanish (Spain) and English (UK), you can just set up two macros using the Macro Recorder as I have just done.

Then assign them to the keystrokes cmd-shift-S and cmd-shift-E (neither currently assigned by Neo/J). This takes about 2 minutes to set up, and then any text you select and use that key combo on will be flagged as that language. This would make it really quick and easy to use - no styles necessary, no menus to go through. Hope this seduces you back to using Neo/J... Smile

I can talk you through the macro recording and key assigning if you need me to.

- yoxi
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
, you can just set up two macros using the Macro Recorder as I have just done.

Then assign them to the keystrokes cmd-shift-S and cmd-shift-E (neither currently assigned by Neo/J). - yoxi

I think this is what I am looking for myself. I am switching regularly between English and German and have found the process not the easiest. When you have some time I would be grateful for some advise on this.

Glenner
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject:

Marking Selected Text as e.g. English/German - Here's how I did it:

i) select some text, then click on the Record Macro button in the top buttonbar (or if there isn't one there, choose Tools-Macros-Record Macro from the menu). A Stop Recording floating button will appear.

ii) Choose Format-Character... from the menu, and then choose the Font tab in the panel that comes up. In the Language dropdown, choose your first language, e.g. English (UK), and then click on OK.

iii) Now click on the Stop Recording floater – the Macro dialog will appear. Enter a meaningful name in the Macro Name field, top left, such as LangEnUK, and click on Save.

iv) Repeat (i-iii) above, but choosing your second language, e.g. German (Germany), and assigning the second macro another name e.g. LangDeDE or whatever.

v) Now to assign the keys: choose Tools-Configure... from the menu, and choose the Keyboard tab. Scroll down to the keystroke you want to assign, e.g. Cmd-shift-G for German (I know -D makes more sense, but that's already being used – though you can overwrite this assignation if you don't need a shortcut for right-to-left typing).

vi) In the Category panel bottom left, scroll down to NeoOffice/J BASIC, then click on the + to open the folder, then do the same with Standard within that folder, and click on Module1 within Standard. Then in the Function panel to its right, click on the macro you named, i.e. LangDeDE, then click on the Modify button above right to assign that macro to the keystroke you highlighted earlier.

vii) Repeat (vi) with the second keystroke and the second macro, and then click on OK.

viii) 'tis done! Now when you select text and do cmd-shift-G, that text will be assigned German (Germany) language - ditto with cmd-shift-E and English (UK).

If you've got a set of languages to use, rather than just two, you could write a more sophisticated macro with a list of language codes/numbers (the OOo BASIC uses numbers for language codes), so you could hit e.g. cmd-shift-L on the selected text and just enter a language code in a popup box and it would do the rest. Maybe I'll have a crack at writing this once I've finished selling/buying house/getting married etc. - see you sometime in October Smile

- yoxi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
You could abandon us, Wheat (sob) - but on the other hand, if you're always working with, for example, Spanish (Spain) and English (UK), you can just set up two macros using the Macro Recorder as I have just done.

Then assign them to the keystrokes cmd-shift-S and cmd-shift-E (neither currently assigned by Neo/J). This takes about 2 minutes to set up, and then any text you select and use that key combo on will be flagged as that language. This would make it really quick and easy to use - no styles necessary, no menus to go through. Hope this seduces you back to using Neo/J... Smile

I can talk you through the macro recording and key assigning if you need me to.

- yoxi

Yep, see that's where billyboy has us all by the b*lls. well, maybe not you Yoxi ; ), 'cause M$ knows we are basically creatures of convenience so we don't want to take the time to think differently and learn a new way of doing the same thing which gets easier the more you repeat the process.

Hang with us, Wheat, and help us overcome the stranglehold by the monopoly! /seriously. It sounds like you can do what you want with Neo/J with a little bit of patience, understanding and set-up time...
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Marking Selected Text as e.g. English/German - Here's how I did it:
- yoxi

Thanks for your instructions. I am off on holiday but will try it when I am back next week. This should make life easier (both the instructions and the holiday).

Good luck with your various projects!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject:

This sounds like a nifty tip to move to the wiki once it's back up Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I always use the 'check in all dictionaries' option. It is somewhere in the preferences.

This works just like apple's multilingual dictionary:
words in all languages will be marked as 'correct'.

Very very very useful when writing Dutch and English in the same text/pragraph/sentence, and for the occasional german and french i have to work trough.

I even think this multilingual option was the most important reason for me to switch to NeoJ. (I have a € 18,- student licence of MS Office Professional, i use it for Virtual PC only).

In MS Word, i have to slect the language for each paragraph manually. Yhis is VERY annoying since i translate texts, and well, things in different languages get mixed. This is even more annoying when MS Word insists on 'auto-correcting' my text i the wrong language.

So, NeoJ is holy in this respect.
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject:

Glenner wrote:
Thanks for your instructions. I am off on holiday but will try it when I am back next week. This should make life easier (both the instructions and the holiday).

Been on holiday, now tried your macros and it works absolutely beautifully! This is going to make life much easier. So far I always checked the "check in all languages" option, but at times that can lead to rather surprising results. This is far better.

Thanks again, Yoxi!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2