Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Switching 'control' out for the apple key?
Switching 'control' out for the apple key?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arcady
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Switching 'control' out for the apple key?

I've noticed that Open Office uses the 'control' key as if this were on a PC for everything the rest of my apps use the apple/command key.

Is it possible to switch that -back- to the 'apple' method?

Color blindness is racism-you assume that I should be like you; color awareness is not-you respect that I am me.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Switching 'control' out for the apple key?

arcady wrote:
I've noticed that Open Office uses the 'control' key as if this were on a PC for everything the rest of my apps use the apple/command key.

Is it possible to switch that -back- to the 'apple' method?

It is only possible to do that with the official 1.1.2 build and (I think) Apple X11 with "Enable key equivalents under X11" unchecked; none of the other OOo builds have the required patch to enable this feature.

(Another reason for using NeoOffice/J Smile)

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Well, Neooffice doesn't support OO 1.9/2.0, and that's needed to do a lot of things I've grown used to, such as PDFs with internal hyperlinks.

I spent about 5 hours trying to get extended PDF working with neooffice and finally just gave up and moved on. And it's only one of many issues.

Until Neooffice can support the current OO, I'm stuck with the x11 version...

It would be nice to have Apple/Command working properly, but it's not a functionality issue, merely a GUI issue. I can relearn for GUI issues...

Color blindness is racism-you assume that I should be like you; color awareness is not-you respect that I am me.
ericbachard
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject:

ericb -> arcady

I'm not sure you'll find objectives informations about OpenOffice.org here, but I probably can help you.
Please contact me directly : ericb at openoffice dot org

FYI : If you're french, feel free to ask me in french too Wink
--
eric bachard
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject:

First off, to answer the question at hand:

The Command -> Control mapping was only available in OOo 1.1.2 X11 GM as it was performed via a source patch that was not allowed to become part of the stock OpenOffice.org source code. I achieved it thorugh a modification of my Command key VCL patch (Meta-key VCL patch) that was rejected by Sun. So, to make the app more usable, I hacked the code used to build the official 1.1.2 releases.

I have the patch on my backup tapes and attached it into IZ, but apparently no one felt the need to approve it.

ericbachard wrote:
I'm not sure you'll find objectives informations about OpenOffice.org here, but I probably can help you.
Please contact me directly : ericb at openoffice dot org

Thanks again Eric for the direct flame of us all here and leaving our forums with a great load of useless crap that helps no one else who has the same question. For the record:

1) You will find objective help here on OOo X11. Me and Dan performed the original X11 port and still donate code and use and build X11 regularly.
    2) Why does Eric instead ask people to e-mail him personally instaed of answering the question in a public forum here so others who have the same problem can get the answer?
    3) As to being biased...check the FAQ. How many of them are X11 specific? Neo? You'll find X11 wins.
    4) These OpenOffice.org forums here are for X11 questions. While yes, there may be folks that may offer a stock "try Neo" response, these are *open forums*.

I set up these OOo X11 forums and FAQ as a public resource for OpenOffice.org X11 users and have contributed hundreds of hours to maintaining the FAQs and answering any questions I can.

It is unconscionable that new *leader* of the OOo porting effort feels the need to continue slandering us on our own forums even after him and his compatriots have falsely accused me of personally engaging in illegal actions with respect to NeoOffice/J. I have no qualms revoking access to all of these resources and removing all of the archives if this libel continues.

I donate this bandwidth and server myself and continue to do so, regardless of the continued attacks upon myself and NeoOffice by the OpenOffice.org team. My generosity only goes so far.

Consider yourself warned.

ed
ericbachard
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: [HS ] no subject

>The Command -> Control mapping was only available in OOo
>1.1.2 X11 GM as it was performed via a source patch that was
>not allowed to become part of the stock OpenOffice.org source
>code.

This is damage...

>I achieved it thorugh a modification of my Command key VCL
>patch (Meta-key VCL patch) that was rejected by Sun.

Have you the issue number ? And why was this change rejected ?
I'm curious to see the exact content, because implement this will be very usefull fr OOo.

>make the app more usable, I hacked the code used to build the >official 1.1.2 releases.
>I have the patch on my backup tapes and attached it into IZ, but
>apparently no one felt the need to approve it.

Just give me the issue number... (Ill search from my side)

>It is unconscionable that new *leader* of the OOo porting effort >feels the need to continue slandering us on our own forums even

You perfectly know that use this argument in this discussion is not a good solution. So please forget this, because this is not the center of the problem, and consider me as ericb, simple dev, able to answer about he's own build. Thank you.

>I donate this bandwidth and server myself and continue to do so, >regardless of the continued attacks upon myself and NeoOffice >by the OpenOffice.org team. My generosity only goes so far.

No, they're no "continued attacks" by the OpenOffice.org team, you're wrong with this.

>Consider yourself warned.

Very kind. I take note of this.

Regards,
eric bachard
ericbachard
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Remapping

ericb -> openstep

I found <http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=11475>, and the changes are *not* in the code, you're right. Is this the issue you had in mind ?

If so, I don't know what exactly happened, but I propose to reopen this issue after a quick verification with m125, to make the switch between CTRL and Apple key possible.

Regards,
eric bachard
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: [HS ] no subject

ericbachard wrote:
>I achieved it thorugh a modification of my Command key VCL
>patch (Meta-key VCL patch) that was rejected by Sun.

Have you the issue number ? And why was this change rejected ?
I'm curious to see the exact content, because implement this will be very usefull fr OOo.

IIRC, the original, rejected patch is IZ 11004 and it would have also allowed Cmd-Opt-keystroke shortcuts in addition to the switching of Ctrl and Cmd to their normal Mac behaviors (and possibly allowed Windows the use of Alt and Solaris the use of Meta) AIUI.

Smokey

Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: [HS ] no subject

>IIRC, the original, rejected patch is >IZ 11004

Ok, thank you, I simply miss it. Looks like this issue just needs an owner. If this changes are working, I'll ask vcl guys and probably take it over if none disagree for integration.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:

That is the patch in question (11004). The reason that it was rejected was that there is no good way on Windows to get a third modifier key. There was talk of originally mapping the "Windows" key on the keyboard to it but that never panned out. Since there's no reasonable third modifier on Windows, files created that used the third modifier could produce incompatible keybindings for Windows (the keyboard shortcut configuration is stored in the file, IIRC). So although Solaris users and Mac users have the meta key/Command key, the patch was rejected since there were compatibility problems.

11475 was the compromise that treated the third modifier identically to the first modifier (Meta/Command -> Control) and is the one used for 1.1.2 GM. It was committed to the 1.1.x PORTS branch a few years ago so should still be in the tree unless the patch just dropped through the cracks or got reversed.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:

11475 was the compromise that treated the third modifier identically to the first modifier (Meta/Command -> Control) and is the one used for 1.1.2 GM. It was committed to the 1.1.x PORTS branch a few years ago so should still be in the tree unless the patch just dropped through the cracks or got reversed.

Ed:

Just thought that I would interject that this patch is not present in the SRC680 tree that I could find. There have been continuous complaints about the lack of the use of the "Apple" key vice the control key and the last answer I saw was that there is a control key on the Mac keyboard, use it (basically that is what it condenses down to.) Unfortunately, this disallows the remapping of the key on Windows based builds (I like moving the control key and Caps Lock key to match that of a standard typewriter keyboard for instance.) I think that Eric B. should take the lead on this action and see if he and you can get this patch back into the SRC680 tree as it is looking like someone wants a second beta of OOo 2.0 soonest. (I read a message on dev@porting about this.)

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Since there's no reasonable third modifier on Windows, files created that used the third modifier could produce incompatible keybindings for Windows (the keyboard shortcut configuration is stored in the file, IIRC). So although Solaris users and Mac users have the meta key/Command key, the patch was rejected since there were compatibility problems.

Ed, are you sure about them being stored in the document? My understanding is the shortcut keybindings are stored in user config files, not the document (I'm not positive about that wrt macros, but I think that's the case as well or all of the instructions would not keep telling people to assign keybindings themselves).

Maybe this changed between 1.0.x and 1.1.x?

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:

No, it very well could be the config files. Either way, the rejection argument was that it wasn't compatible with Windows and would have to result in new attributes being added to the schema and incompatible files (or at least files that couldn't be read).

ed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: control/apple ley issues on the latest Openoffice release

Hi,
I'm using the latest version of Openoffice downloaded from the website. when I open a document and highlight a set of characters, I am able to use the apple key to embolden or italicise the text. But when I want to cut and paste I am not able to (actually I seem to remember doing that on a document yesterday...but I was probably hallucinating)
I'm wondering what is the setting to set this right? I am assuming of course that as per this discussion the control/apple key issue was going to be resolved in the code. Is this an issue with a setting on my installation?
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
No, it very well could be the config files. Either way, the rejection argument was that it wasn't compatible with Windows and would have to result in new attributes being added to the schema and incompatible files (or at least files that couldn't be read).

Ed:

I think that I can use the Apple (command) key with OpenOffice 2.0 m133. I will check on this.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2