Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Rant (not really) about scanner support
Rant (not really) about scanner support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Rant (not really) about scanner support

... no this is not a rant. I am very happy with Neo/J. Have used it now more or less from the start, when you couldn't cut and paste, could nae scroll and all that. This is more a rant against myself. I have still not worked out how my scanner could be integrated into Neo/J. Apparently this is OOo flakiness, because I have seen quite a few posts about this. But other folk say they got it to work with OOo. So what is wrong with me ('Crying or Very sad') I ask? Is it my own flakiness or is there a secret?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject:

AIUI, OOo scanner support on UNIX-like platforms requires SANE to be installed and a SANE-compatible scanner. Neo/J and OOo won't find standard Mac OS X scanner frameworks or TWAIN drivers (TWAIN only works on OOo/Win, which is why it shows up in the help files).

None of my scanners have been SANE-compatible, so I've never been able to test. Last summer there were some posts of success on dev@porting, so it does work--if you have the right voodoo and combination of equipment....

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject:

Smokey, thanks for that! Scanner support is one of those things that are not essential but nice to have. I had tried SANE under Panther some time ago without success. I have now found a source for the SANE support compiled for OS X and they claim to support a great number of USB and SCSI scanners. I will let you know how I am getting on.

Martin
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
AIUI, OOo scanner support on UNIX-like platforms requires SANE to be installed and a SANE-compatible scanner. Neo/J and OOo won't find standard Mac OS X scanner frameworks or TWAIN drivers (TWAIN only works on OOo/Win, which is why it shows up in the help files).

Vuescan seems to work with many scanners. But that costs (a little) money. Might be cheaper than getting a new scanner, though...

Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject:

A quick follow-up on this. I have been to Mattias Ellerts website (http://www.ellert.se/twain-sane/). He has assembled the SANE installers for Mac OS X, which now support a vast number of scanners. The packages all install beautifully but what doesn't install is the Twain package for my scanner. In the end OS X couldn't see my scanner at all and I had to roll back (twice) to my previous OS X installation. Hmm, I will give it another go as soon as I have a bit more time.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1