Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Mac OS X performance test at Anandtech
Mac OS X performance test at Anandtech

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Mac OS X performance test at Anandtech

In case you're wondering how our machines stack up against the rest of the digital world, the people at Anandtech in Belgium have done quite a bit of studying. See http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2520 for details.

Their conclusion is that OSX can still use a bit of tweaking, regardless of the Apple propaganda Smile. I hope Lion will do better for us.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject:

I do love these articles, but more and more it does really just kind of irk me how really drilling down into a single application can point out weaknesses in the operating system. MySQL isn't exactly something that folks are spending massive amounts of money on tuning for Mac OS X, and if they were really tuning I'm sure that they'd be able to find a better workaround by using something like process pooling instead of threading. That said, every operating system has the task that is best suited for it, and the best apps are the ones that are tuned best for the operating system.

It's the same problem we have with OOo in a way...if OOo had a graphics layer that was designed more like Java2D or like CoreGraphics, then it might be a bit speedier and we wouldn't need XOR hacking and the like. On the flip side, that redesigned graphics layer would most likely impact performance on Windows (the best current match for OOo).

That said, I'm sure a dual G5 XServe would be more than happy running trinity using MySQL and I'd bet it could handle light to medium loads just fine. And if the database becomes an issue, just move the database to another machine. Worked for me in the past Smile

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I do love these articles, but more and more it does really just kind of irk me how really drilling down into a single application can point out weaknesses in the operating system.

Well, that was my qualm with the original article, but in this followup they are genuinely digging for weak spots that may also affect other applications.

That said, there's always a tradeoff. I wonder how it would work if properly tuned. MySQL has always been associated with Linux and I am not surprised it works better on that OS.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1