gcc4 porting

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
ICE???? I'm wondering if you don't mean something else.

ICE = Internal Compiler Error. The compiler segfaults when processing the file. Generally a really bad thing since it's not like there's an easy guide to finding a workaround.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
ICE???? I'm wondering if you don't mean something else.

ICE = Internal Compiler Error. The compiler segfaults when processing the file. Generally a really bad thing since it's not like there's an easy guide to finding a workaround.

Sounds like the problem I had with idlc not working. Found the problem in sal. I think I used Patrick's patches and all was well.

Hope you can find the problem. Suggestion, take a look at OO's IZ.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Nope, it's not in IZ nor is there any evidence of what's causing the ICE in the changes in the CVS repository which are unrelated to 3.4 compatibility. I hate damn ICEs. Compilers shouldn't segfault.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject:

OK, the ICE is occurring with 4.0.0 build 4061, however the most recent "stable" build is 5026. I will first try updating the compiler to see if the ICE has been fixed.

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, the ICE is occurring with 4.0.0 build 4061, however the most recent "stable" build is 5026. I will first try updating the compiler to see if the ICE has been fixed.

I agree that compilers should not segfault, ever. They should handle improper code and tell you what you did wrong. I hope this recent build will fix the segfault. Otherwise, it is time to 'bug the problem'.

BTW, I work with another product on a daily basis as a part of my job. I found a major problem and that is going to be fixed in the next major release. This release is not scheduled until 1Q next year. Oh well, not everything is as good as Neo/J.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
BTW, I work with another product on a daily basis as a part of my job. I found a major problem and that is going to be fixed in the next major release. This release is not scheduled until 1Q next year. Oh well, not everything is as good as Neo/J.

This is somewhat ironic...since I do have access to prerelease Apple software (and hardware) myself. I really want to get NeoJ compiling with XCode 2.1 and public universal binary guidelines since I want to release a test x86 Mactel binary ASAP. The gcc4 port is simply a means...without it I can't have a stable base to test my x86 Mactel ABI code. I really don't care about gcc4 in the slightest...it's just that it's needed as a stepping stone that I care about it Smile

Hopefully the XCode 2.1 compiler build (the 5xxx numbers) can resolve the ICE as I assume it incorporates the gcc patches from other platforms. If not and some prerelease XCode 4.0.1 builds do, I am not sure if I can open source the code due to ADC requirements for the seeding program. I honestly can't tell what's legal and what's not with all of the ADC warnings these days Sad

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject:

SWEET! The ICE isn't in 4.0.0 build 5026 and the compiler is happily getting past txtnode.

For reference, build 5026 is the build included with XCode 2.1. I hadn't thought there were any major compiler changes aside from x86 codegen, but I would be wrong. All the gcc4 builds will therefore require XCode 2.1 due to this ICE.

Back to plugging away at sw...

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
SWEET! The ICE isn't in 4.0.0 build 5026 and the compiler is happily getting past txtnode.

Another good reason to 'upgrade' to XCode 2.1. I think that is what I'm using, but I will double check.

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject:

A quick way is to just do a "gcc --version" in a Terminal and the build number should be right in that line. If it's 5026 then you have 2.1 installed. Probably I should add in a check in config_office to verify the correct build.

After I get through these last modules of the base OOo build I'll be creating a CVS branch and start generating patches Smile

ed
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
A quick way is to just do a "gcc --version" in a Terminal and the build number should be right in that line. If it's 5026 then you have 2.1 installed. Probably I should add in a check in config_office to verify the correct build.

After a quick sudo gcc_select 4.0, I have 5026 installed. This may be why I was not experiencing problems that others were.

I look forward to the cvs for gcc_4.0

James
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:

desktop

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject:

dbaccess

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Woo hoo! After dbacces it sems base OOo 1.1.4 will compile with gcc4! It's building its install sets right now. I'm off to watch some preseason hockey, but after that will start work on getting the branch ready and all of the patchfiles Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Woo hoo! After dbacces it sems base OOo 1.1.4 will compile with gcc4! It's building its install sets right now. I'm off to watch some preseason hockey, but after that will start work on getting the branch ready and all of the patchfiles Smile

ed

Yay Ed! Thanks for all this grueling work!

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Yay Ed! Thanks for all this grueling work!

Yeah! Together with Patrick's Java patch, today is a good day for Neo users Smile.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10