· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - unable to install on an iMac
unable to install on an iMac

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprogue

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: unable to install on an iMac

I have downloaded both open office and neo ... multiple times I might add ... and am unable to install.

If I double click on "NeoOfficeJ2.1.dmg" I get the error "the following disk images failed to mount" ... and the reason "codec overrun"

If I double click and then select "skip the verify process" ... I am able to mount the install directory where the "NeoOfficeJ.pkg" file is. When I double click it, it acts as if it is installing the program I get the usual mac install questions and am able to accept the enduser agreement, install and then it appears to install the files (including reporting it is writing files), but fails with the message "There were errors installing the software. Please try installing again."

... I'm blue in the face trying to download and install again. I've attempted downloading from different mirrors etc ... nodda.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

oprogue.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject:

It sounds like your browser is the source of the problem and is corrupting every download (either that or your hard drive is about to fail Sad).

Try downloading with a different browser, an FTP client, the torrent, or curl as outlined on the Neo/J download page.

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Have you considered purchasing an installation CD? The proceeds help the project and eliminates the download grief on your side.

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/cd.php

oprogue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject:

Must have been a crupt download wih FireFox ... downloaded using IE and it installed slicker than butter.

Thanks!!

oprogue
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject:

oprogue wrote:
Must have been a crupt download wih FireFox ... downloaded using IE and it installed slicker than butter.

That is odd. It is usually the other way around..

Jude

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: unable to install on an iMac

Smokey, thanks for the advice! I had the same problem as oprogue AND the same solution worked for me:

Downloaded first time using Safari 1.3.1, on a G4 eMac running OS 10.3.9

Got the same error message when I tried to open the dmg file: "disc cannot be mounted" -- in other words, it was a corrupted file. (And yes, i DID turn off virus protection before starting all this)

So I switched to the ancient rusty, dusty Internet Exploader that came with this machine, and lo and behold, downloaded (took 39 minutes) and installed + patched perfectly.

what the heck ? ? Rolling Eyes Something's not Safari-compatible, I guess.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Early on, Safari used to be the biggest offender with incomplete downloads. Later, we got a wave of people still using IE, and it caused problems because it truncated the filename, so the .dmg wouldn't mount. Not sure what the problem is with Safari....

A lot of the regulars use Mozilla-based browsers (I've never had problems downloading Neo/J with Camino)....

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

A lot of the regulars use Mozilla-based browsers (I've never had problems downloading Neo/J with Camino)....

Use Firefox here and it works fine if you have a big enough 'pipe'. If you download over a long or slow connection, you should use curl.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1