Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Open Office 2 beta available for Panther?
Open Office 2 beta available for Panther?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arcady
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Open Office 2 beta available for Panther?

The only oo2 betas I can find won't install on panther.

Is there one out there that works on OS 10.3.9 (panther)?

Color blindness is racism-you assume that I should be like you; color awareness is not-you respect that I am me.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:

Moved since this belongs in the Testing forum, where the answers are also scattered among the other OOo 2 posts....

EricH did a one-off build of m107 for en_US and m109 for de and fr and Pavel semi-regularly does builds of pure cvs (i.e., without the Mac-specific patches which haven't had their CWS integrated). Those are the only publicly-available builds that run on 10.3.9.

For a better Mac experience, you probably want Eric's builds, even though they are much older. All of them fubar your permissions on install, though.

Eric's builds: http://macosxrc.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/ooomisc/MacOSXrc/

Pavel's builds (latest): ftp://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/680/SRC680_m121/Build-1/

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for those URLs.

How does one start this thing? There doesn't appear to be any application file in the install.

The OOopener just starts itself with no options, and Begin_OOorg starts up and then quits a second later...

Color blindness is racism-you assume that I should be like you; color awareness is not-you respect that I am me.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject:

Yeah, a lot of those launchers seem not to work--probably 10.4.x-only, too Sad

Terry's Start OpenOffice.org works fine for me once I tell it where to find the OOo 1.9.xxx install (by editing the hidden .sversionrc file in my user's home folder to add a line similar to the existing one for 1.1.2); if you haven't previously installed a 1.x version of OOo, Start OpenOffice.org should prompt you for locations....

Smokey

Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Finally had success. Had to download x11 - which I had assumed came in the install.

Now I'm off to playing with getting the Mac fonts in there. :p

Adam_Moore
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject:

sorry for reliving this post with a somewhat different topic. You can kill me later.

Is there any way I can get the steps you took to install it on your computer. I am not a Mac user. I have one friend that wants to install OpenOffice on a few computers, but I have no directions for him.

1) He has 10.3.something

2) Is it at least somewhat stable (version 2.0) so he can install it and kids can run it?

Thanks for any help.

Demand Microsoft Support OpenDocument
http://opendocumentfellowship.org/petition/
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject:

Speaking strictly of the 1.9.xxx releases that are 10.3.x compatible:

1) Install X11.app from the CD (if it was not installed on the Mac when the OS was installed--look in /Applications/Utilities for the pre-installed version). To install just X11, you want X11User.pkg on the 10.3 install CD--more info about finding that in the FAQ (Installing OOo 1.1.2) under the trinity header on the right)

2) Get Pavel's latest build from the URL in the sticky thread above and expand the archive via double-click; this will create a folder of about 20 separate .pkg files

3) Double-click each .pkg file to install, repeat for all 20 or so (there's a mpkg installer out there, but it currently (in it's downloadable form) fails to install several pkgs; not good!)

4) Grab Start OpenOffice.org or another launcher app; read the instructions and configure.

I'm about to run, so others can fill in the holes/specifics Smile

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
3) Double-click each .pkg file to install, repeat for all 20 or so...

Alternatively, select all packages in the folder with cmd-A, and then type cmd-downarrow - this will launch the whole lot at once! Then you just work your way through the installer windows getting each one running - though some will tell you they can't run until others have finished.

- yoxi
Adam_Moore
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:

Thanks guys I will give this to him and hopefully it will work out. Have you had too many stability problems? This is mainly for elementary school kids so advanced features wouldn't be a problem.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject:

Adam_Moore wrote:
Thanks guys I will give this to him and hopefully it will work out. Have you had too many stability problems? This is mainly for elementary school kids so advanced features wouldn't be a problem.

For elementary school kids, Neo/J might be more appropriate... At that level, differences in functionality are moot and it is a little friendlier and more mac-integrated to use.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1