· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Start OpenOffice not working
Start OpenOffice not working

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Misha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Start OpenOffice not working

I'm using the new Tiger OS. When I click on Start Openoffice, the app icon appears on my screen followed shortly by the X11 icon. But the X11 icon only opens for a second, then disappears.

After a few more seconds, an error message from Start Openoffice appears saying that it could'nt open because it was unable to load the following libraries:

/user/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib

and

/user/X11R6/lib/libx11.6.dylib

Can someone help me with this? I really need access to my files.
Thanks!
Misha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject:

What OOo version are you using? If you installed it and didn't get any warnings, then I suspect you aren't using the 1.1.2 GM installer that has all the dependent packages in it Smile

You will need to install the X11 system on your computer. X11 is an optional install with Tiger and should be included on the Tiger DVD (X11.pkg). Alternatively you can download it from the following location:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/x11/

Terry also passed away a few days ago, so pour a little out for him...the error codes are from OOo, not his Start OOo application.

ed
Chewee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: I have the same problem

Hi,

I'm not a Mac user, and I have the exact same errors as Misha.
I tried : find / | grep libX11 and I have
I also have only one file in /usr/X11R6

I went to the Apple page you linked, but it says it's already a part of Mac OS X...

Perhaps it's because I need to use the 1.1.2 GM installer, but is it a part of the 133 MB file ? If not where can I find it ?

Thank you for your help.
chewee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: erratum

Chewee wrote:
I tried : find / | grep libX11 and I have

the last word was "nothing" ...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject:

For 10.3.x and 10.4.x, you need to install Apple's X11 from your Mac OS X CD/DVD (you can use XDarwin, but I'm not sure the 1.1.2GM installer will offer to install XDarwin for you like it does on 10.2.x...Ed?).

On the Mac OS X 10.3.x retail upgrade, the X11 installer is on Disc 3.

Mac OS X Install Disc 3/Packages/X11User.pkg

I don't know where it is on a Mac OS X 10.3.x DVD, but you can search for X11User.pkg.

It's still available from Apple online, too: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/x11formacosx.html

For 10.4.x, I can't find the download at Apple anymore (it was there when 10.4 first came out). The on-disc installer is located in the Optional Packages folder.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:

...or you could save yourself a lot of hassle and just install NeoOffice/J 1.1. It is based on OOo 1.1.4 and doesn't require X11:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/

Patrick
chewee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Finally

I was still looking at the apple website for X11, and the former links were not working.

To download and install X11, this is the new link :
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html

Now everything is fine, and I hope this will help.

JB, from France (excuse my french), a newbie on mac.
chewee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: oups

oups, sorry, I haven't refresh the forum page, and so I haven't seen your adequate responses. Embarassed

Thank you a lot, I am happy to have found the solution by myself but I had no other ideas, and your answers are very clear and accurate.

Good luck and thank you again !

JB
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad you found it Smile To answer one of the questions above, the 1.1.2 GM will install XDarwin for computers running 10.2. For 10.3 it will not offer the option to use that bundled XDarwin as it wasn't fully compatible. Only Apple X11 is supported under 10.3, but we couldn't include it in the OOo installer due to licensing issues.

ed
pieggi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: same problem

Hi everybody, i have the same problem
I have OOo 2.0rc3 (dmg image) on a new iBook 12"
I have installed X11 (R6), dev tools 2.0, X11 for developers, gimp-print, but nothing changed.
The strange thing is that the file exists, has the rx permissions for non-root users and seems ok.
I downloaded the dmg file from one mirror, i opened the dmg then copied the .app file into my applications folder on the finder. The installation ends correctly,but nothing runs, even when i open OOo from a OOo empty file (tried with writer and the electronic sheet). Empty file means a new file with no text, saved as is.
The most incredible thing is that i tried to install the latest neooffice (based on OOo 1.4) and it works.
I also have a script error from bash in an error window:
sh: line1: ps: command not found
sh: line1: grep: command not found
sh: line1: wc: command not found

However, below i paste the latest message in soffice.bin.crash.log.
Hope you'll help me, are 2 days i'm trying to solve it by myself
Host Name: xvx
Date/Time: 2005-11-17 11:58:41.951 +0100
OS Version: 10.4.3 (Build 8F46)
Report Version: 3

Command: soffice.bin
Path: /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice.bin
Parent: sh [569]

Version: ??? (???)

PID: 587
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/libvcl680mxp.dylib
Reason: image not found
pieggi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject:

to be more detailed, i used this file for installation:
http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/openoffice/contrib/rc/2.0.0rc3/OOo_2.0.0rc3_051016_MacosxPPC_install.dmg

thanks.
Claudio
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject:

when you click on the .app file what happens?
pieggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
when you click on the .app file what happens?

I have a script error from bash in an error window:
sh: line1: ps: command not found
sh: line1: grep: command not found
sh: line1: wc: command not found

with two choices: OK and edit.. if iclick OK everithing about OOo is closed, but X11 remain opened (console and dock icon)
If i click on edit.. is opened the script editor, that shows two error messages:
(sorry for the bad text but it's a translation from italian)
1) "open dictionary
Impossible read application's dictionary or the extension because can't be piloted from script"
(piloted is a translation of italian verb pilotare: to pilot, to drive, to ride; since the italian verb is in a passive form, "pilotato", i added the suffix -ed to the verb pilot, i think that driven is better but i prefer a litelar translation)
2) "impossible open the "droplet.rsrc" document. Script Editor can't open documents in "Document" format"

Unti i click one of the two buttos of the shell eroor message,in the menu bar (on top) there's the OOo menu (Openoffice.org, file, edit the menu items) but the voices of each submenu are grey, so can't be clicked, except for "hide Openoffice.org" and "hide others" in the "OpenOffice.org" menu chioce.

Apart this error message,a X11 console (xterm is the title) opens, with X11 icon in the dock

Hope this is good to help me.
Thanks.
Claudio
pieggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:

sorry for double replies
i forgot to say that i have on my OOo installation two differences from the readme you wrote here about 2.0rc3:
1) the folder under /Applications isn't "OpenOffice.org2.0.app" but has a space: "OpenOffice.org 2.0.app" The same for the name displayed on Applications list in the finder: there's the space. May be this a problem? How can i change the name?
2) Even with the space, the path
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/soffice doesn' exists on my pc.
Under /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org i have only those files: (after a ls)
LICENSE licenses
LICENSE.html presets
README program
README.html readmes
THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html share
help

no soffice Sad
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject:

pieggi wrote:

2) Even with the space, the path
/Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/soffice doesn' exists on my pc.
Under /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org i have only those files: (after a ls)
LICENSE licenses
LICENSE.html presets
README program
README.html readmes
THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html share
help

no soffice Sad

full path should be /Applications/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/openoffice.org/program/soffice

- yoxi
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2