Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Could not launch X Window Server...
Could not launch X Window Server...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbpochet
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Could not launch X Window Server...

Im trying to run OpenOffice on my Mac G4 that has install Mac OS X v10.4, there is an Administrator profile in which I have install all the app, I use my personal profile to do most of the work. If I get to work in the Admin profile OpenOffice will work perfectly but if I try to run OpenOffice in my personal profile it will open Adobe Illustrator instead of X11 app and then I got an error message displayed "COULD NOT LAUNCH X WINDOW SERVER: XDARWING"
I have reinstalled OpenOffice under my user, reinstalled X11 from Tiger DVD under my user as well and it seems to me nothing I've done makes it run...
Any idea of how can I solve this issue??
Thanks,

Nbpochet
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:

What version of OOo and what "launcher app" are you using?

(Also, what happens if you manually launch X11 first?)

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject:

I'm using OOo 1.1.2 and I guess the Launcher app is the X11... if it's so, I'm running the one that comes with the Tiger DVD. If it's not X11, which one is??

NelsonB.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:

nbpochet wrote:
I'm using OOo 1.1.2 and I guess the Launcher app is the X11... if it's so, I'm running the one that comes with the Tiger DVD. If it's not X11, which one is??

There are several launcher applications. One is Begin_OO and another is StartOpenOffice. Are you using something like this to lauch OpenOffice or are you starting X11 and then changing directories to where you installed OpenOffice and then typing in ./soffice?

James

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject:

I'm using "StartOpenOffice" that's placed on my dock... it automatically launches the X11 window. Well, that's if I'm working in the Admin profile if I use my personal profile it launches Adobe Illustrator...

Nbpochet.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject:

If you open the Start OpenOffice.org preferences in your problematic user account, is X11.app selected?

If so, open the org.OpenOffice.Start.plist in that user's prefs folder (either in TextEdit or Property List Editor if you have the dev tools). In my prefs, the last entry is "xserverpath" and contains the path to X11.app ("/Applications/Utilities/X11.app" on 10.3.9). If you fix that path and save the plist, that should fix things.

(Actually, you might simply be able to copy the plist from your working account to the non-working one, but I'm not sure what all the other settings in there are and if they are account-specific ones that might cause problems when copied over to another account. And I can't ask Terry any more Sad)

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I have 10.4.2, there is no X11.app...what do I do?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:

You need to install X11 off of your 10.4 upgrade CD/DVD. I'm not sure what it might be called in 10.4, but under 10.3, the package you needed to install was X11User.pkg. Hopefully someone with 10.4 can chime in with the specifics.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject:

[quote="sardisson"]
Anonymous wrote:

You need to install X11 off of your 10.4 upgrade CD/DVD. I'm not sure what it might be called in 10.4, but under 10.3, the package you needed to install was X11User.pkg. Hopefully someone with 10.4 can chime in with the specifics.{/quote]

Insert the Tiger disk and scroll down to the Optional Packages when the Disk window comes up. Click on Optional Packages install icon. When the next window opens, scroll down to the X11 package and click on it. You will have to accept the license and possibly install both the X11 User and X11 Server packages.

Then you should have a X11 application in the Application->Utilities folder.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1