Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Performance of NeoOffice/J compared to Windows OOO 1.1.4
Performance of NeoOffice/J compared to Windows OOO 1.1.4

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Performance of NeoOffice/J compared to Windows OOO 1.1.4

Not sure if this is covered somewhere else, but I noticed that NeoOffice is extremely slow to startup and when it is restarted there is not significant difference in startup time-- as if nothing is being cahced by the OS, etc.

I'm running 1.33 GHz, 1.25GB RAM and no other applications (except Dashboard).

With the Windows version of OOO 1.1.4 on a 3-year old 1.6 GHz w/1GB the first start is slow (but three times as fast as NeoOffice), but the restart is downright snappy.

Thoughts of where to look? Thanks!

Rich
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Performance of NeoOffice/J compared to Windows OOO 1.1.4

RPat wrote:
when it is restarted there is not significant difference in startup time-- as if nothing is being cahced by the OS, etc.

I'm running 1.33 GHz, 1.25GB RAM and no other applications (except Dashboard).

That shouldn't be happening, unless 10.4's done something funny, or you have some crazy Dashboard widget Smile I have 1.33 GHz PowerBook with only 512 MB RAM, and the second and subsequent launches are *much* faster (half the initial time or better) on 10.3.9.

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject:

Here are the timings... (unforuntately, no interesting widgets)

NeoOffice/J Cold start: 15 secs.
Exit/immed restart: 3 secs
Exit/run TextEdit, restart: 12 secs

There is somthing weird going on with caching...is there a quickstarter or caching program that is supposed to load at System startup??

FYI, Windows OOF start about 10secs; restart <1 sec

Any ideas how to improve the startup performance?? Waiting 15secs everytime I want to use it is a little annoying...

Rich
val1984
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject:

RPat wrote:
is there a quickstarter or caching program that is supposed to load at System startup??

No, in fact, the quickstart is used to keep Neo/J even if you close all the windows.
RPat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I missed something...how do I enable quickstart??

I would really like to reduce my startup times.

Thanks,

Rich
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject:

Quickstart is automatic for Neo/J. Just close the all your windows instead of quitting Neo/J and Neo/J will continue to run. Then, when you double-click on a file in the Finder, Neo/J should open the file quickly since it is already running.

Patrick
IKS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Hi!

RPat wrote:

(..)
NeoOffice/J Cold start: 15 secs.
(..)

Am I getting anything wrong? My NeoOffice/J annoys me with about 30+ secs for a not-so-cold start. Is there a way to improve the performance other than getting more RAM?

IKS

BTW: My iBook is equipped with 512MB RAM and 1.2GHz PPC.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject:

IKS wrote:
Am I getting anything wrong? My NeoOffice/J annoys me with about 30+ secs for a not-so-cold start. Is there a way to improve the performance other than getting more RAM?

I have found that the one thing that has the biggest effect on startup time for Neo/J is the number of fonts that you have enabled. Mac OS X has really great fonts, but they are large in size and the OpenOffice.org code that Neo/J is based forces every active font to be loaded.

Patrick
IKS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

I have found that the one thing that has the biggest effect on startup time for Neo/J is the number of fonts that you have enabled. (..)

Shocked -- thanks for the hint! Gave me a performance improvement > 75%! I deactivated about 140 of 176 pre-installed fonts and - et voila: a faster-than-light NeoOffice/J!

cya

IKS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
IKS wrote:

I have found that the one thing that has the biggest effect on startup time for Neo/J is the number of fonts that you have enabled. Mac OS X has really great fonts, but they are large in size and the OpenOffice.org code that Neo/J is based forces every active font to be loaded.

Patrick

Pat, how hard would it be for you to write some patch that would let you pare down the fonts loading from the system to be used in NOJ, thus sliimmimg down NOJ SU time? Or is this simply not possible?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject:

Does Suitcase X allow you to specify fonts on a per-app basis? I'm not that familiar with it myself. As I usually put my machine to sleep I don't have to launch NeoJ except once per month or so now that it has the quickstart builtin.

FWIW, Word faces some similar issues (ever launch it and watch it "Optimizing font menu performance" for about 30 seconds?) and they do some type of bizarre caching mechanism with the fonts. They do get it wrong, however, about figuring out when the cache needs to be refreshed.

ed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have found that the one thing that has the biggest effect on startup time for Neo/J is the number of fonts that you have enabled. Patrick

To enable fonts seems to be not such a straightforward task. While I do not have a problem with N/J start-up time (cold start-up @ 24 sec) I have disabled many fonts. Nevertheless some of them still show up in N/J. The same seems to be true for TextEdit, albeit with different fonts ('Shocked'). This seems to point more to an Apple issue.
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
pluby wrote:
I have found that the one thing that has the biggest effect on startup time for Neo/J is the number of fonts that you have enabled. Patrick

To enable fonts....

Nonsense, I was meant to be logged in and also meant to say "To disable fonts ..."('Embarassed')

Martin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Does Suitcase X allow you to specify fonts on a per-app basis? I'm not that familiar with it myself. As I usually put my machine to sleep I don't have to launch NeoJ except once per month or so now that it has the quickstart builtin.

FWIW, Word faces some similar issues (ever launch it and watch it "Optimizing font menu performance" for about 30 seconds?) and they do some type of bizarre caching mechanism with the fonts. They do get it wrong, however, about figuring out when the cache needs to be refreshed.

ed

Speak of the devil (fonts, that is) I just ran across this:

http://www.macosxhints.com (9/22/055 edition for future ref. as this link will change daily) on something called "FontExplorer X", a free font manag. utility.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:

Direct link to FontExplorer X:

http://www.linotype.com/fontexplorerX
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2