· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Spell check doesn't work - I've tried "everything"
Spell check doesn't work - I've tried "everything"

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
writer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Spell check doesn't work - I've tried "everything"

Hello!

I've read a lot of threads of the forum, and the wiki, and the help file, but nothing I do seems to work, so I hope someone here can help me. The problem is that I need a Norwegian spell check to work, but even though I installed the language pack, set "default language" in NO1.1 to Norwegian, and the top language in System prefs is and has always been "Norwegian", I still can't get anything else than various types of English in the spell checker. Not in an existing document, and not in a new one. Is there anything else I can do to make it work? I also un-checked all the other languages in system prefs, so only Norwegian and English shows. That didn't help either... Any suggestions? I am very grateful for any help Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject:

What language is the Neo/J UI in?

What happens if you select a paragraph in your document and manually set the langugage to nb or no by choosing "Character..." from the "Format" menu and then setting the appropriate language via the Western Language box in the Font tab of that dialogue?

What version of Mac OS X are you running?

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Also, be patient...Norwegian is one of those trickier languages for OOo/NeoJ as there are really multiple languages for the same locale. The problem may be something similar to Chinese where in 10.4 you need to disable the catch-all "zh" locale in order to allow NeoJ to drill down into the simplified vs. traditional variants.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Also, be patient...Norwegian is one of those trickier languages for OOo/NeoJ as there are really multiple languages for the same locale. The problem may be something similar to Chinese where in 10.4 you need to disable the catch-all "zh" locale in order to allow NeoJ to drill down into the simplified vs. traditional variants.

I would have thought Patrick would have enabled both dictionaries just like he does when English is the top language (all the English dictionaries get enabled).

Anyway, that problem was one of my thoughts here, too.

Smokey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject:

Thank you guys, for your answers,

Neo/J is in English, and I'm running Mac OS X v. 10.3.9.

The paragraph-spell-check-method didn't work, but I tried the "autopilot" dictionary install, and that worked... I guess I didn't try everything after all, but the autopilot isn't mentioned in the FAQ and any help pages I could find, I found it accidently.. The next problem is to get a Norwegian grammar check, which I believe doesn't yet exist.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject:

That means that what's happening is that the Norwegian dictionaries are not being activated on 10.3.x when "Norwegian" is set as the first language. Apple wasn't using standard ISO codes for Norwegian in 10.3.9 (no_NO maybe?), but I understand that this has been fixed in 10.4.x, which apparently has both nb_NO and nn_NO codes....

I'll try to reproduce this to verify, and then file a bug....

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1