Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - James-Out of Country Oct 24 - ????
James-Out of Country Oct 24 - ????

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Vacation Notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
I'm back. Building the latest 1_1_5_experimental.....

Welcome home! But does the earlier message mean you get to go back to Kuwait later (when they are ready for you to do your voodoo)?

The simple answer is maybe. I could be asked to help elsewhere on the project, but what I do should not result in another trip back.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
The simple answer is maybe. I could be asked to help elsewhere on the project, but what I do should not result in another trip back.

OK. So how did you like the Kuwaiti?

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
OK. So how did you like the Kuwaiti?

Since my trip required very little interaction with the Kuwait peoples, my interaction is very limited. However, I do find it very interesting that some of them are (and will always) be very traditional with the men wearing the dishdash (looks like a white or natural colored outfit) with the headcovering held in place with what looks like a fan belt (some of the Gulf War veterans called them 'ragheads' which I consider a very derogatory name and I don't use it) and the women in the abiaya (traditionally black and covering the body from the top of the head to the floor only exposing the eyes.) Some of the Kuwaiti people wear Western wear with the men wearing suits or shirt and tie with the women wearing shirts covering down to the elbow and skin tight blue jeans. Under no circumstances will you see a Kuwaiti wearing shorts or a shirt that exposes the chest. Both men and women travel in pairs or small groups. Children are held in high status, but are well behaved. Since I was there during the month of Ramadan, where practicing Mulsims abstain from eating, drinking and smoking from sunup to sundown, I was asked to refrain from doing so lest I were to be stopped by the police and fined. I left during Eid where just about everyone celebrates the new month and end of Ramadan. Since the new moon fell on Thursday morning, everyone receives four days off (Thursday and Friday are normally days off and the workweek runs from Saturday through Wendesday).
As to the original question. I enjoy being in Kuwait.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Under no circumstances will you see a Kuwaiti wearing shorts or a shirt that exposes the chest.

Actually, this is the rule for most countries. The easiest way to spot a tourist in Latin America, for instance, is by the legs. Pretty much the same for shirts.

I think it is just us who feel compelled to expose every inch of (not always flattering) skin..

jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Under no circumstances will you see a Kuwaiti wearing shorts or a shirt that exposes the chest.

Actually, this is the rule for most countries. The easiest way to spot a tourist in Latin America, for instance, is by the legs. Pretty much the same for shirts.

I've seen some things that would leave most Americans with their jaw on the floor. However, I do agree. We Americans, as a country, expose more 'skin' than do most other countries. Why? Maybe puritianical rebellion. You are correct that we are not the most 'beautiful' folks on the planet, and sometimes it definately shows. I tend to cover as much of myself as possible after almost suffering sunstroke in the KSA. High heat, coffee and very little water can lead to some strange results. And I know now what it feels like and how to treat it.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Vacation Notices All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2