Sun and Google

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Sun and Google

http://www.sun.com/events/google/

So once upon a time, when Sun acquired Star Office, the original idea was an online office suite (probably java based) that you could use anywhere...

So maybe now Google is thinking the same?

think it will be OO.o based? or just compatible?

questions!!

-j
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject:

The product at the time was called StarPortal, and parts of it still used to be littered throughout OOo code. There was essentially a reimplementation of an X11ish protocol that could tie the VCL into sending all drawing requests to a remote machine. The client for this (or "server" in X11 speak) was never open sourced howver.

The REMOTE_APPSERVER blocks are still in 1.1.4 VCL. I don't know about 2.0 Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Wow, that was anti-climatic.

Sun to include Google Toolbar as an option in downloads of JREs from java.com.

So Windows users who deign to upgrade their JREs can get an extraneous toolbar at the same time.

Wow.

(Why is it that Windows users refuse to do critical software upgrades but jump on downloading every silly toolbar and ad/spyware clock and cursor other bits of crap of dubious value?)

Smokey
(still a bit bitter from last night, I guess)

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject:

indeed. i was hoping for something... like the ability to use your gmail space for staroffice docs or something
SOMETHING!!!

speaking of which, seems there is a 'one last thing' conference by Apple coming up... maybe they will give us something.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Well, the news.com.com.com.com coverage did mention that Schwartz wanted to add a Google searchbox to OOo. Am I the only one who sees no utility in that whatsoever? The built in web browser of StarOffice is long gone Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject:

As if OOo weren't bloated enough already. <sigh> I suppose if they made it possible to search the content of multiple OOo docs, that would be useful on platforms which have no decent OS level search capabilities (which is all of the other ones), but there's no need to reinvent the wheel here.

Apparently some "journalists" did read trinity, though, and decided Ed and Jake were good sources with valuable insider information. Wink

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26734

ok, so NOW they announce this.
but no details, new programs? openoffice google style? who knows...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject:

It wasn't part of the announcement and you'll even see quotes from Schwartz saying AJAX isn't ready for complex layout applications (which I agree with...after witnessing the terror of font handling in a regular port I can just imagine what it would be trying to figure out font metrics through JavaScript).

Though short on details (like the rest of the virtually "hot air" announcement) I suspect that this integration will either be quick-launch buttons to fire up OOo in the Windows Google Desktop sidebar. Perhaps if it's not there dump users to a website to download it or automatically download it and install it for the user. That smacks of spyware tactics to me...it doesn't matter if it's for a good cause. People shouldn't be force fed any application they don't explicitly want to put onto their comptuers.

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject:

yeah, i just read more, the news about the announcements are about the office suite, but the announcements themselves don't have anything.
so geez! somone make up their minds!

though the OO.o and google toolbar integration was confirmed, which was good.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1