Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOO 2.0 RC 2 anf the Right to left Bug
OOO 2.0 RC 2 anf the Right to left Bug

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: OOO 2.0 RC 2 anf the Right to left Bug

Hello everybody,
I have already talked with Eric Hoch about that problem, but today i found a new detail which I would like to report.
I new that OOO 2.0 (only on Mac!) has Problems with Right to left languages. When I tried to type for example farsi, after some words suddenly disappeard the beginning of the word before. Now I found out, that this problem happens only when a ligature is used.
A ligature is a letter which is bulid out of the combination of two letters. I add an example here. Hopfully somebody can solve that problem.
All the best Ali
Here is an example for the Bug:

www.irmug.org/Ligaturebug.gif
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject:

I used to see this in the official 1.1.2 release, so I always thought it was just some sort of X11/FreeType issue (Neo/J 1.1 did not ever have the problem), but I can't reproduce it in 1.1.2 now and I definitely see it with m128 and m133. So it's quite possible that some RTL font layout logic is severly broken in the Mac builds.

The only font in which I do not see the problem is Schehrazade from SIL (I have the OTF version installed for OOo, but normal Mac apps need the AAT version). The companion font, Lateef, works but is producing a lot of misplaced kashidas--even without justification--that have plagued the OOo 2 builds. Both converted Mac Arabic fonts and Windows/generic TTFs seem to have the disappearing problem, so I don't see a font-format pattern, either.

Update: some more "generic" found-on-the-web fonts that seem to work:
* Aleem Unicode
* Gohar Urdu Unicode
* Nafees Pakistani Naskh
* Nazia
* PakType Naqsh
* PakType Tehreer
* Riwaj
* Traditional Arabic (MS Windows font)
* Unikurd Web
* Urdu Naskh Unicode

It's possible that some of them are being pushed a little too far into the edge of the page, but it's not noticeable.

I don't have any code solutions, though Sad

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject:

sardisson thanks!
That is a very good news. At least OOo works with some Fonts. But dose it means, that OOo works only with OTFonts? Becouse all of the fonts, which you wrote are OTFonts right?

The next Point is, if I try to justify the lines, OOo adds some bars between the letters, what also should not be done.

Ali
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
But dose it means, that OOo works only with OTFonts? Becouse all of the fonts, which you wrote are OTFonts right?

I'm not sure if all of them are OTF or not. Most of them are, but I don't know about the MS one. I also don't know why Schehrazade works fine and Lateef has the misplaced kashida (tatweel) bits, as they're both OTF from the same "manufacturer" (SIL).

Anonymous wrote:
The next Point is, if I try to justify the lines, OOo adds some bars between the letters, what also should not be done.

OOo's kashida (tatweel) support is very broken (there are a couple of issues open on it in the OOo IssueZilla, but they have either been ignored or postponed until an undefined future milestone Sad). Sometimes the bars show up when they're not supposed to, sometimes they show up in the wrong place, and sometimes they fail to show up and leave gaps in the middle of words. It seems to depend on the font and size Sad Make sure that the language of the text is set to Arabic, and that will help a (little) bit.

I wish I had better news...however, if you don't need features of OOo 2.0, NeoOffice/J does not have any of these bugs.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1