Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Tiger and X11?
Tiger and X11?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misplon
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Tiger and X11?

Downloaded Openoffice 1.12, when installing it asked me to insert panther cd to install X11, I'm running tiger so I donwloaded X11 from apple site. Osx says I cant install X11 cause there is newer software already installed.

So I cant install X11 cause I have newer software but Openoffice needs X11. Did I download the wrong version??

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Andrew - Cape Town
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject:

Do you have X11(.app) in your /Applications/Utilities folder?

If not (and that should be the case if you're being prompted for a CD), you need to get out your 10.4 install DVD and install X11. You want the X11User.pkg in the Optional Packages folder.

Then run the 1.1.2 installer again and it should no longer complain Smile

Or, you can avoid X11 altogether and use NeoOffice/J instead Wink

Smokey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject:

I qm having exactly this problem (with one minot diff.)

OS X 10.4
Neo-Office/J installed

I saw OpenOffice 2.0 was out so thought I'd try getting that as I saw an option for a Mac download. Now I've only recently got my mac so simply downloaded it and tried to run it. In the Console > Log I get the same error message of libfreetype not found. I find my DvD put it in, and the X11User.pkg file is found and I run it, And I get the same error as the original person "A newer version already exists on this computer" but there is no application/X11 folder or anything resembling that.

Until I get it working I'll be sticking with Neo-Office and the only real reason I'm swapping is the speed it loads, if I fire up the mac to quickly look at a document the last thing I want is to have to sit around waiting for it too load.

All this said Neo-Office and OpenOffice are the best applications I've seen in a long while.

If any more info is needed to find out what is going on please let me know. I've now spend .. 4 hours trying to get it working :/
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger and X11?

misplon wrote:
Downloaded Openoffice 1.12, when installing it asked me to insert panther cd to install X11, I'm running tiger so I donwloaded X11 from apple site. Osx says I cant install X11 cause there is newer software already installed.

Have you applied any of the updates to OSX? This may be the source of your problem and the only fix is to complain to Apple.

misplon wrote:

So I cant install X11 cause I have newer software but Openoffice needs X11. Did I download the wrong version??

Where did you get the version of X11? You should use the copy that is on the OSX install media in the Optional Packages folder.

Again, if that does not work, get ahold of Apple support.

James
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject:

I am running Tiger and have had no problems recently installing and running either OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 or 2.0rc3 in X11 (which I elected to install at the time I first installed 10.4, fwiw).

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject:

once upon a time you could run xDarwin for your X11 needs. I haven't tried it since Jaguar, but I assume that it works for Panther and Tiger.

here is some more info:

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Downloads_for_OpenOffice.org_Mac_OS_X_%28X11%29
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
once upon a time you could run xDarwin for your X11 needs. I haven't tried it since Jaguar, but I assume that it works for Panther and Tiger.

Yes, you should be able to run XDarwin and the Fink version of XFree86. I was just pointing out that X11 does come with MacOSX Tiger.

James
truetone
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tiger and X11?

misplon wrote:

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks

Andrew - Cape Town

I had this exact same issue this week. I finally had to reinstall Tiger using the DVD and do a custom install. I forget the exact steps, but somewhere in the intial process there's a button that either says "configure" or "customize." I can't remember which. If you click on that, one of your install options is X11. I unchecked everthing except that and reinstalled the OS.

X11 works great after that. Here's the downside:

Doing that reverted me back to 10.4.1 and I had to reinstall a bunch of updates and even reinstall two applications and my mighty-mouse drivers. It's kind of an extreme measure.

The whole thing took a couple of hours, but I'm back up and running again and X11 is running great. It's much more seemless in Tiger. I tried it in 10.2 and didn't like it as much.
n1397n

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: OSX Tiger

I have OS10.4.2 and a CD of OO 2.0 but there appears to be a problem with compatibility here, from what I have read in these FAQs. Has anyone any idea whether it is possible to instal 2.0 on Tiger? Thanks
Bernard Watson (age 74 so please keep it very simple)
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: OSX Tiger

n1397n wrote:
I have OS10.4.2 and a CD of OO 2.0 but there appears to be a problem with compatibility here, from what I have read in these FAQs. Has anyone any idea whether it is possible to instal 2.0 on Tiger? Thanks

Hi Bernard

In summary, yes, it is possible to run OpenOffice.org 2 on Tiger. However, you need to run the X11 environment to do so. If you don't know what X11 is, that's where we would need to start. Do you (a) have X11 installed? (b) know how to run it? If the answers are yes and yes, then running OpenOffice.org 2 will not be hard, but you will need the version of OpenOffice.org that is specifically for X11. Over to you.

Peter
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject:

i wrote an FAQ to try to help

http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/FAQ_for_OO.oX11_2.0RC3
BernardW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: OSX Tiger

aussie149 wrote:
n1397n wrote:

Hi Bernard

In summary, yes, it is possible to run OpenOffice.org 2 on Tiger. However, you need to run the X11 environment to do so. If you don't know what X11 is, that's where we would need to start. Do you (a) have X11 installed? (b) know how to run it? If the answers are yes and yes, then running OpenOffice.org 2 will not be hard, but you will need the version of OpenOffice.org that is specifically for X11. Over to you

Peter

Hello Peter and thanks for your rapid response. No, X11 is not installed on my computer, and as for 'how to run it' if it is not simply a question of installing and opening, then no. Obviously there is more to it than that.
I do have X11 available as an additional option on the instal CD so presumably I can get that far. Is there anything on the OO2.0 installation disc that will tell me if the version that was downloaded for me is specifically for X11.
Many thanks for any help you can give me on this.
From a snowy UK,
Bernard
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:

bernard,

if it is OpenOffice.org for the mac, it is for X11. the only version of openoffice.org for the mac that does not use x11 is NeoOffice.

What will happen, if you use the X11 version, is when you click on the .app file, it will open X11 for you and boot into OO.o2.0. It will have a windows look to it, but it works (i've been using 2.0 lately myself)

So if you want, install X11 and give it a shot!

-j
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
bernard,

if it is OpenOffice.org for the mac, it is for X11. the only version of openoffice.org for the mac that does not use x11 is NeoOffice.

What will happen, if you use the X11 version, is when you click on the .app file, it will open X11 for you and boot into OO.o2.0. It will have a windows look to it, but it works (i've been using 2.0 lately myself)

So if you want, install X11 and give it a shot!

-j

If this seems too adventurous for you at this stage, have you tried NeoOffice itself? [I can't tell from your posts whether you have done that, so don't read on if you have.] It is based on an earlier version of OpenOffice.org, so lacks features of the later OpenOffice.org 2, but it works on your Mac desktop as a "normal" Mac program. It is a free download from here.

From Sunny Oz
Peter
BernardW
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: OSX and OO 2.0

Many thanks Peter and Jake. I took both your sets of advice and have now got it working OK - sort of. I have been playing with it for the last hour but can only get the Writer screen. I can't make out whether this is the basic screen and then I have to manipulate it in various ways for different purposes, or whether there are different screens somewhere else in the programme. I am looking for the equivalent of MS Excel. Any ideas would be welcome.
With grateful thanks.
Bernard
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2