· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice logo
NeoOffice logo

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leo_watson
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: NeoOffice logo

I'm a new NeoOffice user, and I am very impressed with the software. However, one small thing is on my mind. I'm not too keen on the logo - I've tried to change it through the 'info' window in OS X, but I can't seem to do it. Has this option been disabled somehow, or is there a way for me to change the NeoOffice.app logo?

Thanks a lot Embarassed
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject:

I would tend to agree with you. But the guys who are putting N/O together (as volunteers) have so many other, more important things to work on. If you do a Forum search you will find some posts about changing icons, splash screen etc.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice logo

leo_watson wrote:
I've tried to change it through the 'info' window in OS X, but I can't seem to do it. Has this option been disabled somehow, or is there a way for me to change the NeoOffice.app logo?

It's probably a permissions issue that's preventing you from changing the app icon--the Neo/J app bundle is locked down because there are bugs in the underlying OOo code that tend to make it want to overwrite itself (or something like that; I don't remember the explanation any more).

So the easiest way (without messing up critical permissions) is to find an icon you like, save it as a .icns file named ship.icns, and replace the existing ship.icns inside the Neo/J bundle with your new one (the Finder should prompt you for an admin password to let you copy the icon in).

(Show package contents on NeoOfficeJ.app->Contents->Resources)

Oddly enough, Preview will view .icns files but not export them Sad GraphicConverter and many other graphics apps will save a .icns file, though.

Smokey
(who respects that others have different opinions of our gorgeous ship Wink)

Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject:

I guess whether you like or dislike the Neo/J logo is a matter of taste. I personally like the round logo, but I think that the splash screen maybe should be updated on the next major release (sorry folks, but I'm a little confused what version that will be...)?

Or even better, a complete set of visual elements, including banners,web buttons, posters, flyers, etc?

BTW, any suggestions for the text on the web buttons? I will see if I find the time to do some sketches... eh... before Christmas..? Smile

- k
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject:

knutkja wrote:
the next major release (sorry folks, but I'm a little confused what version that will be...)?

Back in late June after we switched gears because of Apple's announcement, the next version was going to be called 1.2 and would feature the Java 1.4.2 upgrade and maybe OOo 1.1.5 codebase upgrade. Recently Patrick mentioned calling it 1.1.5, but I argued against that for a number of reasons.

(The pre-Intel roadmap called for the next release to be 1.5, with Aqua scrollbars and buttons and maybe redesigned toolbar icons from the toolbar icon project, and OOo 1.1.5 codebase, but then we had to adjust for Intel compatibility, so Ed started gcc 4 porting instead of blue buttons and Patrick did the 1.4.2 JVM. Architecturally the changes are probably as significant as the old 1.5, but from the user point-of-view--no blue buttons--the changes are more limited than the old 1.5.)

Anyway...it'll be whatever Patrick wants to release and whatever he calls it when he does Smile

knutkja wrote:
Or even better, a complete set of visual elements, including banners,web buttons, posters, flyers, etc?

BTW, any suggestions for the text on the web buttons? I will see if I find the time to do some sketches... eh... before Christmas..? Smile

We started a thread for this a while ago; let's move this discussion there Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1