Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 2.0 in Neo/J When?
OOo 2.0 in Neo/J When?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
What is odd though, is that the NeoOffice/J fonts (OpenSymbol, etc) are showing up in Text Edit/Font Panel when I do the same thing.

I do this on purpose. Since the OOo code really likes to use the Open Symbol font for certain characters (e.g. bullets), and Neo/J supports native copy and paste and drag and drop, Open Symbol really needs to be available to other applications while Neo/J is running so that copying text (which defaults to RTF ) is done without arbitrary font conversion.

Patrick
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:

Ah, thanks for the explanation. However, what isn't quite making any sense to me now is why OpenOffice.org 1.1.2's fonts apparently had such a big effect on launching NeoOffice/J whereas OOo 2.0's don't. Possibly something to do with the non-packaged versus packaged structure of the two?

Anyway, it seems that OpenOffice.org 2.0 isn't as bad a problem as it could have been (on Tiger at least). I've posted a few comments on the use of fondu which I don't like (that it duplicates all my fonts even though I only use a few at a time and that this causes the package to become relatively huge - more than half a gig - instead of just big, and all without my permission) in the OpenOffice.org RC3 thread.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
James Bow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Sticking with NeoOffice. Take the time you need.

I downloaded and got OpenOffice 2.0 to work on my iBook today but, in the end, I decided to stick with NeoOffice 1.1.

I am a version junkie. I have to admit that being behind on my OpenOffice version almost breaks me out into a cold sweat. I've gotten OO2.0 on both of the Windows machines at my work, and I love the new interface, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in NeoOffice. But the lack of Mac controls was frustrating; the inability to use Mac's own fonts proved to be the kicker.

NeoOffice 1.1 is already a fantastic office suite that puts the boots to Microsoft Office. And one thing that I like about NeoOffice and OpenOffice is that you guys take your time to make sure that the software is done right. I just have to learn to be patient. Good luck with the 1.2 Alpha, and keep up the good work.

Best,
James Bow
http://www.bowjamesbow.net/blog.shtml
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking with NeoOffice. Take the time you need.

James Bow wrote:
But the lack of Mac controls was frustrating; the inability to use Mac's own fonts proved to be the kicker.

There is an effort to correct this with Fondu, but it is very rough and will convert ALL of the fonts to a version that OpenOffice will use. This can result in the occupation of valuable hard drive space with nothing but fonts.

James Bow wrote:

NeoOffice 1.1 is already a fantastic office suite that puts the boots to Microsoft Office. And one thing that I like about NeoOffice and OpenOffice is that you guys take your time to make sure that the software is done right. I just have to learn to be patient. Good luck with the 1.2 Alpha, and keep up the good work.

Thank you. I too look forward to the public alpha/beta series for Neo 1.2 and the eventual incorporation of OOo 2.0 into Neo.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sticking with NeoOffice. Take the time you need.

James Bow wrote:
I downloaded and got OpenOffice 2.0 to work on my iBook today but, in the end, I decided to stick with NeoOffice 1.1.

James, can we use this in the press kit?

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Sticking with NeoOffice. Take the time you need.

ovvldc wrote:
James Bow wrote:

James, can we use this in the press kit?

Best wishes,
Oscar

You read my mind, Oscar Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject:

Sure, feel free. You guys all rock, so...
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:

James Bow wrote:
Sure, feel free. You guys all rock, so...

Thanks!

(We've now accumulate a fairly nice collection of things from post-1.1 to add to the press kit the next time it gets rev'ed, probably around the 1.2 Alpha release. That should help flesh out the weaker sections.)

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject:

If you like - and have value for a German statement regarding NeoOffice, here is the link to a blog entry of mine:

http://irulan.net/2005/12/05/goodbye-office-2004/

I just switched from Office 2004 to NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha, being completely happy with it. I use it every day in my main job being a freelance radio promoter.

Many thanks from me too for spending your time developing! You definitely rock.
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject:

Nice one, irulan!
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject:

irulan wrote:
I just switched from Office 2004 to NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha, being completely happy with it. I use it every day in my main job being a freelance radio promoter.

Many thanks from me too for spending your time developing! You definitely rock.

First, thank you for your kind statements (I'm part of the build/test team.)

Second, NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha is not recommended for production work but if you feel that you can use it, then please do so. Keep us advised of what does/does not (especially the does not part) work for you.

James
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject:

btw. what will be the next release after 1.2? I remember a roadmap some times ago talking about a neooffice 1.5 aquified, but reading last posts it seems to me a neooffice 2 is the next goal.

f.
irulan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject:

Well, you are more than welcome! I love the idea of a free office suite and since NeoOffice already integrates nicely with OS X this sealed the deal for me.

Of course it would be really nice to see some radical GUI changes to make it more Mac-like, but I believe that is just far too much work. I also imagine it - if it ever were done - to be a nightmare to integrate new version code of OpenOffice into that.

I'll keep you posted on what happens (or not) with NeoOffice using it at work. And thanks for the reminder that it is an alpha version, I'm aware of that and hope that nothing gets to turn out too wrong. So far it looks pretty stable.

There is one odd behaviour though: when I have a spreadsheet open in Calc, whenever I enter anything into the fields, the menu bar on top of the screen flickers. To get you and idea of what I mean I have compiled a short video clip of what happens: http://irulan.net/temp/flicker.mov

Marcel
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject:

fabrizio venerandi wrote:
btw. what will be the next release after 1.2? I remember a roadmap some times ago talking about a neooffice 1.5 aquified, but reading last posts it seems to me a neooffice 2 is the next goal.

Just to clear things up. The original name for the newest 1.x release was orginally proposed to be NeoOffice/J 1.5 to match the version number of the underlying OpenOffice.org code at 1.1.5. However, Patrick and Ed decided this would lead to the questions of what happened to NeoOffice/J 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4, so we decided to make the next version 1.2. Also, it was decided to drop the /J extension as no further work is pending on the /C version and it is considered dead. Work is still ongoing on NeoOffice 1.2 and the project is still in alpha level testing, but so far no major problems have been encountered. The next major version is to be NeoOffice 2.0 which will incorporate at the minimum OpenOffice.org 2.0 code as its core.

James
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject:

irulan wrote:
There is one odd behaviour though: when I have a spreadsheet open in Calc, whenever I enter anything into the fields, the menu bar on top of the screen flickers. To get you and idea of what I mean I have compiled a short video clip of what happens: http://irulan.net/temp/flicker.mov

Marcel

I think it was determined at some point that the flicker is caused by un-avoidable OOo redraw/menu updates...yoxi was the "most-annoyed" Wink on that bug, so he might recall for sure.

Thanks for the blog, btw. Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3