Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near
NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcarling
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: More performance stability first please

I applaud the plan for 1.2, but I'd really like to see more stability in the performance patches before backporting the 1.1.5 code. For me, the performance improvements are more important than the 1.1.5 updates.

I run a 12" 1.5GHz PB with 512MB running 1.4.2 connected to an external 1600x1200 LCD via DVI. If my help is really needed to check a particular bug, please send me a message. I'm not keen to try unstable patches, but I will if needed.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
You may have caught this already, or maybe it's a branch issue, but I noticed when installing PT Patch-1.8 that the "header" of the readme said "NeoOffice" but everywhere else still was "Neo/J".

It's only a branching issue.

Patrick
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I have made a CD label for the 1.2 Alpha available for download at http://homepage.mac.com/knut_kjaereng/neo12alpha/neo12alpha.html

K
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject:

knutkja wrote:
I have made a CD label for the 1.2 Alpha available for download at http://homepage.mac.com/knut_kjaereng/neo12alpha/neo12alpha.html

Thanks. This CD label looks great!

Patrick
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near

pluby wrote:
Note that I am dropping the "/J" and calling the upcoming release "NeoOffice". There has been a desire to do this for a long time and now seemed like a good time to make the switch.

I think that it is a good idea to drop the /J because it makes the name easy to pronounce and will make the brand develop more easily. The /J gave some "varieties" of the name that might have confused (some) people.

I want to pitch an idea - why don't add ".org" to the NeoO name? Then it would be self-evident where to find it on the web. It would also connect it more to OOo... that in some aspects could be good. (I am aware that there is controversy and conflict related to how OOo think/not think/think aloud about the development of a Mac OS X version, I have read the recent postings about it.) But by introducing the OpenDocument format and the general increasing awareness of the existence of an alternative to Ms, it seems that OOo finally is about to break through... and I think that NeoO maybe should connect to that in a stronger way... A lot of people out there still haven't heard of NeoO.

Well, just wanted to share my idea Smile

K
knutkja
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near

pluby wrote:
Note that I am dropping the "/J" and calling the upcoming release "NeoOffice". There has been a desire to do this for a long time and now seemed like a good time to make the switch.

I think that it is a good idea to drop the /J because it makes the name easy to pronounce and will make the brand develop more easily. The /J gave some "varieties" of the name that might have confused (some) people.

I want to pitch an idea - why don't add ".org" to the NeoO name? Then it would be self-evident where to find it on the web. It would also connect it more to OOo... that in some aspects could be good. (I am aware that there is controversy and conflict related to how OOo think/not think/think aloud about the development of a Mac OS X version, I have read the recent postings about it.) But by introducing the OpenDocument format and the general increasing awareness of the existence of an alternative to Ms, it seems that OOo finally is about to break through... and I think that NeoO maybe should connect to that in a stronger way... A lot of people out there still haven't heard of NeoO.

Well, just wanted to share my idea Smile

K
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject:

=\ though i can see why adding a .org may look appealing, i don't think it would be a good idea personnally. sometimes i think the .org at the end of openoffice hinders it, by making it look like website, rather than a prime-time ready office suite.

now what i'd reccomend is a program that when you install neo it changes the short-cut for MS Word so when you click on it, it goes to the neooffice.org site with a note that says "i saw you were trying to use word, foo! wats wrong wit u??"

but that may be just me.

-j
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject:

I second Jake there about the .org. Moreover, a lot of people already don't call OOo "OpenOffice.org" but rather the incorrect (and otherwise trademarked elsewhere) "OpenOffice" or "Open Office".

Let's not add another crazy syllable right after dropping one Smile

Smokey
enjoying the fact he can post again....

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near

pluby wrote:
3. The Wiki needs to change all references to NeoOffice/J to NeoOffice and all references to ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 changed to ~/Library/Application Support/NeoOffice-1.2.

Edit: I just tried running Neo/J with preferences in ~/Library/Application Support and Neo/J will not run because the OOo code cannot handle spaces in the preferences path. So, the preferences directory for Neo 1.2 Alpha will be ~/Library/NeoOffice-1.2.

FYI. I n response to a suggestion to an earlier post, I have changed the Neo 1.2 Alpha preferences folder to ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.2.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha release is near

pluby wrote:
FYI. I n response to a suggestion to an earlier post, I have changed the Neo 1.2 Alpha preferences folder to ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.2.

Thank you. I think preferences were there for the 1_1_5_experimental branch for a long while.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2