Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Wondering about development
Wondering about development

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evster
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Wondering about development

Hi there,

I actually just started using mac a few weeks ago, so far I like it. I am a software developer (I use linux for my main os) and I was wondering about helping in developing NeoOffice. A couple overview questions, how many people are currently working on it? I am pretty busy over the next few months but in January I am going to have a lighter free time schedule and I have always wanted to join an opensource project.

So basically I am wondering what kind of tasks I could expect to help out with. This would be my first time developing on mac os so it will take a bit of time to get used to I am sure.

Thanks!
Evan Kirkland
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject:

Welcome! Patrick or Ed are the ones with the real, detailed answers, but just a couple of things and links until then....

Neo/J (soon to be just NeoOffice) has two developers right now, Patrick (pluby) and Ed (OPENSTEP); Patrick works full-time on Neo parts of the year, resources available, and Ed hacks after he gets home from his day job Smile

Recently, James McKenzie has helped out with building the latest development code and catching "alpha" issues before the code gets released as a Test Patch for the rest of us, and also in ensuring the Java 1.4.2 code builds with OOo 1.1.5 so we could use that as the basis of Neo 1.2 Alpha....

Just getting the OOo core to build usually stops most folks who show up wanting to help; OOo is not a pretty picture Sad I hate to be doom-and-gloom in the first message because we (the NeoOffice community as a whole) are always looking for new developers to help Patrick and Ed out...but that seems to be how things play out. A lot of the build/development process seems to be fairly *nix-y stuff, so aside from the Mac OS X/BSD quirks (and the hairyness of OOo), you might not feel too far from your Linux roots.

Ed does have a set of specs for smaller-scale tasks than the MacIntel port, more native widget work, and migration to OOo 2.0.x codebase, the three big tasks for the coming year or so.

There's not much developer documentation, either; I've just updated the Build Instructions page in our wiki with some info and threads here on trinity that seemed helpful (at least at the moment).

Anyway, I hope I didn't scare you off already. Patrick and Ed have often said how developing Neo/J is one of the most worthwile, satisfying things they've done (and those of us in the community doing non-dev work will say the same about our efforts on behalf of users and the community), in spite of the difficulties. So welcome again, and we hope you'll join us.

Smokey

Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject:

Sounds good! I will start by first trying to get the code on my machine and get it building. Now, my wife uses the mac and neo office a lot so will having the development version on my computer effect the stable version I have installed? I am new to mac os, so i'm not exactly what all is done with applications. I know in windows I always have problems because of registry values and such, will there be any similar problems with this?

Thanks!
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject:

unlike windows, there isn't a registry system in mac os x.

however there may be an issue with patch installers trying to update both versions... patrick or ed could probably speak better on that.

and welcome aboard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
unlike windows, there isn't a registry system in mac os x.

however there may be an issue with patch installers trying to update both versions... patrick or ed could probably speak better on that.

and welcome aboard.

If you have a second hard disk or have your hard disk partitioned to appear as two or more disks, you could keep a development copy on one drive or partition and a "production" copy on the other, you can tell the installer to apply patches only to copies of NeoOffice it finds on the development drive, which should leave the production version untouched.
evster
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject:

So I have managed to check out the code and got a compile error (which I expected). I was going to start diving in to the code to see if I can figure this error out but then I remembered reading in the build instructions that it won't compile on 10.4. I just want to make sure this is the case. If it is the case would it be worthwhile for me to still try and track down the source of my compile errors and then submit patch sets if I figure it out?

Thanks!
Evan
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject:

The 1.1 Release tag cited on the official planamesa.com build instructions won't, but Ed got gcc 3.3-based 10.4 compilation working in late July, so any more current tags should have that code.

(At least that's what I understand; if not, I need to update the wiki Smile Ed?)

If you're trying a gcc 4 build, that doesn't work after several months of trying (not sure what tag/branch those patches are on).... Sad

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject:

i believe there is a way to force gcc3 compiling on 10.4 (it is the gcc4 part that is the issue).

or am i thinking about forcing java 1.3 compiling...

(it is monday morning)

-j

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject:

You use gcc_select.
evster
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject:

Just to let everyone know, it is in the process of compiling. I didn't realize that I hadn't checked out HEAD. Since it is not my machine I have trouble finding a large enough time span to do a complete build. Hopefully it will finish eventually...

I'll let you know when it finishes.
evster
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject:

This is frustrating.... Since it is a laptop I keep having to cancle the build. When I run the build a second time does it restart it all or does it resume where it has left off? If it doesn't resume does anyone know if people have been able to build it with a cross compiler on linux?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject:

evster wrote:
This is frustrating.... Since it is a laptop I keep having to cancle the build. When I run the build a second time does it restart it all or does it resume where it has left off? If it doesn't resume does anyone know if people have been able to build it with a cross compiler on linux?

Welcome to my world. Wink

Seriously, the OOo build (which is 90% of the Neo/J build process) is slow, tedious, CPU intensive, and difficult to understand. This generally explains why over 95% of the people who say that they are interested in build OOo or Neo/J lose interest before they finish their first build.

Just remember, you are not building a trivial toy application. Instead, you are building one of the largest and most complex applications used by your average computer user: an office suite. Even a web browser is usually requires a small fraction of the code that an office suite requires.

Lastly, if it makes you feel any better, I have worked on this code for 3 years now and there are still a vast number of directories of source code that I have absolutely no idea what they do.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the encouragement! I have been a co-op student at 5 companies now so I am used to starting from scratch with massive programs. I know that it only takes time to understand what the heck is going on. I also understand the amount of code that needs to be compiled and that's why I have stuck with it so far Smile. I am suprised it hasn't failed yet actually! I can't wait for it to finish building so that I can start looking into some of the code and figure out what is going on.

So, as I mentioned before since it is such a big build process I want to make sure that "make all" does the usual "make all" in that it doesn't re-do stuff that has already been built. Because if that is the case then I may easily spend the rest of my life trying to build it Smile.

Thanks!
Evan
evster
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Whoops....fogot to login....that last post was me....
kmorris
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject:

I built Neo on my laptop a few months ago - it took over a day (15" powerbook, 1G memory, mac os 10.3). The main problem was keeping my family away from the laptop while it was building Smile .

Unfortunately I don't have time to dedicate to development at the moment, though I may look at Ed's set of specs for smaller tasks in January (when I hope to have a bit more free time). Will I need to upgrade to Tiger before being able to help out?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2