Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problems with OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 X11
Problems with OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 X11

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin_l
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Problems with OpenOffice.org 1.1.0 X11

I have installed the 1.1.0 "031006" build made available on some of the mirrors (ftp://planetmirror.com/pub/openoffice/contrib/MacOSX/OOo_1.1.0_031006_MacOSX_install_en.tar.gz)

It starts up correctly and opens OpenOffice's own files perfectly. Most of the MS Office files I have tried to open failed, however. The files that won't open are from native MSOffice apps, while files in MS formats created with OOo open correctly.

OOo 1.0.1 and 1.1.0 on linux open the same files without problem.

Is this a known issue?
martin_l
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Additional notes

By the way, I have tested it under both install modes: "network" (which is in fact one under /usr/local) and "workstation" (which is right there in my homedir).

The problem happens on both cases. Nothing gets logged (unfortunately) to the console or logfiles. As much as I tried, I couldn't get get more info on the problem beyond a "the file could not be created" error message.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject:

OpenOffice.org 1.1 is not yet final on OS X and hasn't even been SQAd yet, so there's no support for it yet, known issues, etc. You're using "alpha" software.

The appropriate place for bug reporting for 1.1 is either through the Testing forums or through the OpenOffice.org Bugzilla. It is much still a work in progress and the extent of its compatibility and implemented feature set is unknown.

ed
martin_l
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Alpha build,but not reported anywhere

Thanks for the hint. I am aware of OOo being alpha at this stage, but having used all the MacOSX releases so far, I am not too worried.

Oddly enough, this particular build has appeared in the official mirrors. But it isn't being discussed.

In the "testing" forums nobody seems to be using this build, either, and in the dev forum there is no announcement for it. Hmmmm. I am not even sure of what RC it is... damn!

I'll see if I can dig some more info.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject:

I don't know who pushed it onto the mirror network, but it wasn't me. I've been discussing it with the OOo community manager and suggested we try to see if we can at least get it renamed to indicate its "alpha" status.

I believe it is Riccardo's development build from the dev lists, but am unsure of its origin. The ooo11rc3 tarball is Dan's earlier development build tarball.

ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Ed,

This should be Riccardo's build with my patches for printing, fonts, and Apple X11. I told him to push it since these patches make it at least acceptable for testing and get the largest known issues out of the way.

Is there a chance you could send us one of the files that _won't_ open? Ed's email is around here somewhere, and mine is fa [at @] openoffice [dot .] org. We'll have to look into it.

During the organized effort though, most issues will be filed in IssueZilla but for the moment until we declare testing "in-session" I guess this should be fine.

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Testing 1.1.0

Hi all,

I must be missing something. I downloaded the gzip file 'cause I'd like to start testing and posting in the Testing forum. When I expanded the file, I got a folder "normal" which didn't seem to have any executable files in it. When I looked at them with Terminal, I saw that 2 files, install and setup, had executable permissions, but still no joy. What do I need to do to install the package?

Guess I don't know as much about Unix as I thought I did Embarassed

Phil
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject:

You should be able to execute "sh install" in a terminal and, theoretically, it should start the X11 based setup executable. Note that for that to work you'll need to have your X server running and DISPLAY environment variable set.

If that sounds like Greek, then what you'll want to do is launch Apple X11, choose Applications > xterm, then cd into the directory you uncompressed it and then "sh install" (Apple X11 will set the DISPLAY environment variable as appropriate).

ed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject:

I should probably get Riccardo to distribute my "Install OOo Weekly" application along with the builds he puts out... Its kind of a lame-ass launcher for all this, that tries to start Apple's X11 then XDarwin and then the installer.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject:

OK, success. I was using a terminal instead of xterm. I've installed it and I have a .sxw file open. I've used OOo1.1.0 on a pc, so I'll know if anything's not working properly. I'll post in the testing forum.

Cheers, Phil
karyal
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I should probably get Riccardo to distribute my "Install OOo Weekly" application along with the builds he puts out... Its kind of a lame-ass launcher for all this, that tries to start Apple's X11 then XDarwin and then the installer.

Dan

Hi Dan, Ed, *
I'm Ricky.. i started to take a tour here too, but the forum is just a little time consuming for me Sad

Of course if i can be of any help, please mail me, i'll jump here for sure..
Also i'll periodically check the forum.
The builds on the mirror under /contrib are just the english one.
rc3 is Dan's i guess, mine are from 1.1 final source tree + Dan and Kevin patches applyed.
And Dan, yes, i'll love that app.. i'm starting a new compile round as soon as the DK localization gets into the cvs tree. Also, i'd like to build with libarts or at least without GPC.
Bye,
Ricky
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1