Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Openoffice 2 will not run - when users home on shared volume
Openoffice 2 will not run - when users home on shared volume

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrel
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Openoffice 2 will not run - when users home on shared volume

open office 2 will not run when logged on as a user whose home lives on os x server 10.4 shared volume. however, it will run when logged on as user who's home exists on the workstation itself. the install is one file. the problem is somewhat consistant with X11 and XDarwin, and os 10.3 ad 10.4. the application starts and seems to freeze with an open document. a force quit produces a list that includes an app called droplet.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Moved to the X11 Testing Forum since 2.0 is not an official Mac release yet...

My guess is this is the missing code to handle files on mounted volumes. If Neo/J works properly in your setup, that's very likely the case.

Smokey

Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: home dir

i think that it has something to do with permissions though. each time i try to run the program it locks up and the next time that it is run i need to go through the registrtation process again. as though it does not have permisson or ... does not know where to wirte user info.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:

It's probably a file-locking issue, and it's not a universal problem. It occurs under a certain set of conditions.

I guarantee that users with NFS (mounted at bootup, not login) home directories from a Linux server work fine, provided:

1. You are using the newest NFS server code, which is part of the latest release of kernel 2.6. I forget exactly which release of 2.6 had this fix incorporated, but if you use the latest you're fine. The key here is that it allows OS X (and BSD, for that matter) to handle file locking as they should. Here's a posting to the linux kernel mailing list that gives more detail on what I'm referring to: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0311.0/0498.html

2. In /etc/hostconfig on the OS X workstation (10.3.x or later), the nfslocks parameter is set to -AUTOMATIC-. I had set it to -NO- on a machine a long time ago and forgot about it, and ran into the 'General I/O Error' problem.

Len
terrel
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject:

both server and workstation are running mac os X 10.4.3 ... so mac server and workstation are not doing NFS for home directory. The server is sharing the home directories for users by NFS to linux k-12ltsp.org server. office was working on linux thin clients, but now we have a similar problem, as our os x workstations. i will look into this further.

2./etc/hostconfig nfslocks parameter is set to automatic
Anonymous wrote:
It's probably a file-locking issue, and it's not a universal problem. It occurs under a certain set of conditions.

I guarantee that users with NFS (mounted at bootup, not login) home directories from a Linux server work fine, provided:

1. You are using the newest NFS server code, which is part of the latest release of kernel 2.6. I forget exactly which release of 2.6 had this fix incorporated, but if you use the latest you're fine. The key here is that it allows OS X (and BSD, for that matter) to handle file locking as they should. Here's a posting to the linux kernel mailing list that gives more detail on what I'm referring to: http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0311.0/0498.html

2. In /etc/hostconfig on the OS X workstation (10.3.x or later), the nfslocks parameter is set to -AUTOMATIC-. I had set it to -NO- on a machine a long time ago and forgot about it, and ran into the 'General I/O Error' problem.

Len
Igeli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Hi,

did you come up with any solution? I have the same proble and its driving me nuts Shocked

igeli

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

as far as i know, this is not something that can be done with oo.ox11. neooffice should be able to do this (if i understand correctly) because of the extra code that it has.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
as far as i know, this is not something that can be done with oo.ox11. neooffice should be able to do this (if i understand correctly) because of the extra code that it has.

This is an open issue with OpenOffice.org. I don't have the IZ number handy.

James
terrel
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: no solution as yet

no solution for us yet. we have moved to neooffice 1.2 beta. open office 2 does not run on mac workstations 10.4.4 when autenticating through ldap with homedir on os x server 10.4.4. it opens a doc and then bails out.
however, openoffice 2 does run correctly on ibooks with the users home on the ibook, so the problem is where the home directory exits.
i wish to use openoffice 2 as we are also using an thin client server (linux ltsp.org) through x11 or chincken of the vnc. this ltsp has openoffice 2 and i wish to have the same version of open office on both linux and mac. another app example is gimp 2.2
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: no solution as yet

terrel wrote:
i wish to use openoffice 2 as we are also using an thin client server (linux ltsp.org) through x11 or chincken of the vnc. this ltsp has openoffice 2 and i wish to have the same version of open office on both linux and mac. another app example is gimp 2.2

There are two solutions to this dilemma:

1 - bug Sun and the OOo volunteer crew until they fix this (but be civil and help testing their work)
2 - donate money to NeoOffice and have Patrick fix this.

Sorry, no short term ideas...

Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1