Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.
Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

This is prompted by a screenshot I posted in response to a support question:

I know the lack of ... after the Open Document is something to do with Java or the way OS X handles menus, but is there anything to stop you from simply adding them yourself by hand?

I'm wondering this because I can see a potential for confusion (though small) with that item due to the support for the OpenDocument format in OpenOffice.org 2.0 - do you think that some people may think that the "Open Document" menu item means that NeoOffice/J will create an OpenDocument file?

If the ... can't be added, how about changing the string to "Open a Document"?

Obviously, that applies to the NeoOffice menu item as well.

Edit: I've made the assumption that you actually type the titles in yourself... I'm now thinking that that is probably not the case is it? Doh.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

JKT wrote:
Edit: I've made the assumption that you actually type the titles in yourself... I'm now thinking that that is probably not the case is it? Doh.

Of course don't type these myself. These are loaded by the OOo code from its localized resource files. And, no, this text won't change.

Patrick
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject:

OK, sorry for being dumb! Embarassed

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject:

Making it even more confusing, they're actually correct in some languages; see Shoshanah's Hebrew Dock screenshot in the wiki.

That's OOo IZ 50784, btw.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

JKT wrote:
This is prompted by a screenshot I posted in response to a support question:

I know the lack of ... after the Open Document is something to do with Java or the way OS X handles menus, but is there anything to stop you from simply adding them yourself by hand?

Open Document handling was introduced into OpenOffice part way through the 2.0 build and was brought back as an import only filter with 1.1.5. The next version of NeoOffice will incorporate this feature as well some others from the 1.1.5 code branch of OpenOffice. I don't expect any OpenOffice 2.0 work until two things happen: NeoOffice 1.2 becomes final and a working version of OpenOffice 2.0 for MacOSX X11 is finalized (there are major issues being worked for OOo 2.0 right now centering around font importation.)

JKT wrote:

If the ... can't be added, how about changing the string to "Open a Document"?

Sounds like a change is needed here, Patrick. Can you work this into your code and quickly get it out? This will be needed for the 1.1 final as well.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
Sounds like a change is needed here, Patrick. Can you work this into your code and quickly get it out? This will be needed for the 1.1 final as well.

If you would have read my post from earlier this morning, the answer is no, this is not going to change. I am not going to run around spending my limited time fixing OOo's localizations.

Patrick
TVerBeek

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

It would seem the solution is to go back to the OOo English localizations themselves, and clarify the phrasing (e.g. "Open a Document") there.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

If you would have read my post from earlier this morning, the answer is no, this is not going to change. I am not going to run around spending my limited time fixing OOo's localizations.

No problem. If you can tell me where it is (package name), I will look at an IZ at OpenOffice for it.

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
No problem. If you can tell me where it is (package name), I will look at an IZ at OpenOffice for it.

Is this even necessary? The Neo 1.2 Alpha release is going to be able to open ODF files so isn't the confusion now moot?

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

pluby wrote:
jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Is this even necessary? The Neo 1.2 Alpha release is going to be able to open ODF files so isn't the confusion now moot?

If this exists in OpenOffice 2.0, it could create a great deal of confusion. Also, folks using NeoOffice 1.1/1.2 could construe this as where they CREATE Open Document documents (which it will NOT be able to do.)

Update: I could not find Open Document on any of OpenOffice 2.0's menus.

It is amazing what 'users' will come up with. Of course, I am assuming that you've been around programming for quite some time.

James

Last edited by jjmckenzie51 on Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
If this exists in OpenOffice 2.0, it could create a great deal of confusion. Also, folks using NeoOffice 1.1/1.2 could construe this as where they CREATE Open Document documents (which it will NOT be able to do.)

It is amazing what 'users' will come up with. Of course, I am assuming that you've been around programming for quite some time.

C'mon. This is being a little picky isn't it? OOo 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 on Windows have this exact same menu and Windows has far more installations than Neo/J does. At this stage, I am extremely wary of changing the Neo build (no, I'm not going to take an OOo patch for this one - you will need and the appropriate module to the Neo/J build) right before a release.

Patrick
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

pluby wrote:

C'mon. This is being a little picky isn't it? OOo 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 on Windows have this exact same menu and Windows has far more installations than Neo/J does. At this stage, I am extremely wary of changing the Neo build (no, I'm not going to take an OOo patch for this one - you will need and the appropriate module to the Neo/J build) right before a release.

Thanks. I understand your concerns, but I'm talking about the Windows community. Some folks out there have heard about Open Document and they EXPECT that menu item to do it for them. As I stated, you would be absolutely suprized what users will do and try to do.
If this is an OpenOffice issue, then it is one and not a NeoOffice issue. My point as short as I can put it is: If this is of concern to you then go to OpenOffice and create an IssueZilla. If it is not and it is purely cosmetic, then we can leave it alone. I don't believe in fixing things that are not broken. In this case, OpenOffice 1.1.4/1.1.5 projects existed before Open Document and thus the menu is the way it is. If clarification is needed then it is up to the OpenOffice folks to clarify/fix the problem and not the NeoOffice team, right?

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
... My point as short as I can put it is: If this is of concern to you then go to OpenOffice and create an IssueZilla....

This is of no concern to me and I believe that it is merely a cosmetic nit. Hence, my resistance to spend any effort on it.

Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Chill Patrick

Somehow I don't think "you" = "Patrick". Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick question for Patrick - Open Document menu item.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

Wasn't the bug number already mentioned in this thread?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2