· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 2.0.0: "Could not create backup copy" & other
2.0.0: "Could not create backup copy" & other

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cfrees

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: 2.0.0: "Could not create backup copy" & other

When trying to save a document (to the new OpenOffice format), the first save is fine, but later saves fail with the error "Could not create backup copy". Checking the modification times of files, no changes are being saved unless I save as a new file each and ever time. Since I am using the programme to review, comment on and evaluate student papers, this results in a great deal of file management work. Any idea what might be causing this, or if there's a buggy preference setting that I might change to fix the problem? Note that the first save is typically a conversion from the early OpenOffice format. (I haven't tried converting original files from students, which are mostly Word with a few exceptions.) I never had this problem with 1.1.2.

I am also having the same display problems I did in 1.1.2 and NeoOfficeJ. The display of the help documentation is significantly worse and I am actually unable to decipher some help pages. I believe this may be a Tiger issue - possibly even a 12" PowerBook Tiger issue. At least, there were display problems linked with this, although they seem to have been mitigated significantly by OS upgrades. Whatever Apple did doesn't seem to have helped in OpenOffice, though.

I also cannot persuade the application to launch from the finder unless X11 is already running, though I believe it is supposed to do this. This is a minor annoyance, however, and easily dealt with.

Thanks,
CFR

---
12" G4 PowerBook (June 2005), 10.4.3
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject:

Whoa, you are using (very) beta software to perform real-life work? Firstly I'd strongly recommend not doing this for obvious reasons. Secondly, the people here are not involved in the development of OpenOffice.org 2.0 for X11. While we can try to help out, you are better off posting application specific bugs like this to the www.openoffice.org website (see the dev@porting.openoffice.org mailing list for the people who are actually doing the development) where you are more likely to get the support you need.

What display issues are you having with Help in OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 and NeoOffice/J - do you mean speed or the rendering of the text? If it is the rendering of the text, you may have some corrupt fonts on your system. If you haven't already looked, did you see my response to your post in the OO 2.0 on Mac - won't run thread... it will give you some pointers as to how to check this. It is the second answer down from your own post and you may want to look at yoxi's response too.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject:

yes, if you are needing this for 'real life' type of stuff, i HIGHLY recommend using the stable release of NeoOffice. It is OpenOffice.org 1.1.4 with extra Mac-ness.

OO.oX11 2.0RC3 is just that, RC=Release canidate (and i don't think this one is getting elected)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1