NeoOffice :: View topic - Badly Rendered Fonts
Badly Rendered Fonts

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimWG
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Badly Rendered Fonts

Greetings:

Since seeing is believing and because seems I can't post images here, I'll e-mail you screenshots of my badly rendered fonts on Mac OOo 2.0r3 so you can try to I.D. them for me. They seem to've hijacked Courier 12 on OOo even though all is well on NeoO. I always had a bad time with this after endless fondus and directly inserting Courier files inside OOo's truetype folder.

Thanks!

James Greenidge
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Badly Rendered Fonts

JimWG wrote:
Since seeing is believing and because seems I can't post images here, I'll e-mail you screenshots of my badly rendered fonts on Mac OOo 2.0r3 so you can try to I.D. them for me. They seem to've hijacked Courier 12 on OOo even though all is well on NeoO. I always had a bad time with this after endless fondus and directly inserting Courier files inside OOo's truetype folder.

This seems to depend on magnification. I recall from dev@porting that switching rom 75% to 80% was supposed to fix everything.

Haven't tried it myself, though. This is the sort of thing that bugged me in earlier Word version and why I stick to NeoOffice (finally, I can skip the J Wink).

JimWG
Keymaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Badly Rendered Fonts

ovvldc wrote:
This seems to depend on magnification. I recall from dev@porting that switching rom 75% to 80% was supposed to fix everything.

That was really an ineffectual stop-gap solution. Fonts should pretty much be rendered the same no matter the screen resolution I think, and blowing it up from 75% to 80% just spread out and diluted the font flaws some. The closest I got to a normal looking Courier 12 was by turning on shadow style, which creates a kind of anti-aliased look far more bearable and font characteristic, but not easy on the eyes enough for long stretch usage. So till this font rendering issue is fixed, I won't be testing out OOo 2.0r3 anymore.

JimWG
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Badly Rendered Fonts

JimWG wrote:
That was really an ineffectual stop-gap solution.

I dimly recall Patrick writing something about sub-pixel kerning and that windows-style rendering is just inherently uglier than Mac font rendering. But even that should be made to look tolerable.

Point is that asking here after you asked at dev@porting will probably not yield much new info Sad.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1