· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - JRE 5.0
JRE 5.0

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ananelson
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: JRE 5.0

After reading a few threads indicating that JRE 5.0 reduces instability, I was hoping to switch over. I downloaded Java 5 from Software Update last week.

In OO, I selected Tools -> Options and under the Java tab attempted to add Version 1.5.0. I followed the same path as that given for the existing 1.4.2 installation, i.e. /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/ When I choose the "Home" folder of version 1.5.0 I don't get any error messages but the new version does not appear. I have tried this several times with the same result.

I have also tried deleting the .openoffice.org2 directory and setting JRE 5.0 to be the default in Apple's "Java Preferences" application. These did not change anything.

I am running OO 2.0 under OS X 10.4.3. It's working quite well in general, but crashing quite a lot in Base with the form/report wizards.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working? Or whether this in fact is likely to improve anything?

Many thanks.
pieggi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject:

Reading apple developer section to configure other java apps, i knew that the java path is /Library/Java/Home
This is a symbolic link that points to the real java installation directory
Hope this helps.
Claudio
ananelson
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Symlink to 1.4.2 Installation

Hi, thanks, that's a symlink to the default installation (that long location in my first post). Doesn't help the recognition issue unfortunately.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Symlink to 1.4.2 Installation

ananelson wrote:
Hi, thanks, that's a symlink to the default installation (that long location in my first post). Doesn't help the recognition issue unfortunately.

OpenOffice is built to use Java 1.4.2, not Java 1.5 because a majority of users do not have access to Java 1.5. I would suggest posting a message on the dev@porting.openoffice.org mailing list asking what the status of the effort to correct problems with Base support as that is where you have problems.

James
ananelson
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject: Java

Okay, thanks, that makes sense.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Java 5.0 (and why OpenOffice is not supporting it)

ananelson wrote:
Okay, thanks, that makes sense.

You are welcome. Always glad to assist.

James
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1