Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OO 2.0 appearance in 10.3.9
OO 2.0 appearance in 10.3.9

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: OO 2.0 appearance in 10.3.9

Just loaded OO 2.0 onto my Mac running 10.3.9. Font appearance is very chunky and low resolution. Using X11 from the Apple site. OO looks very nice on my linux box (SuSE 9.1 for example), but not on my Mac. Any thoughts on what I might have missed? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Make sure your display is set for 'millions' of colors, or force that setting in X11 (it's in the prefs). Anything less will give horrible font rendering in OO.

Of course, you have to quit/relaunch X11 to make the change take effect.
LemonAid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Fonts in OOo 2.0

Tony,

Fonts are being rendered by X11 for OOo 2.0 on the Mac. Setting your display to "millions" might give some improvement but not as good as Mac Aqua quailty.
I tried X11/OOo and switched to NeoOffice 1.1 from this site. I rather run NeoOffice (without X11) and Mac-like User interface than use the (ugly?) X11 display. I use NeoOffice and removed AppleWorks and Microsoft Office.

It all depends on what you need most - Newest OOo features or Mac NeoOffice visual interface.

Philip - "Microsoft Free and Loving it" Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject:

There is an article somewhere on here (you may have to search for it) which explains how to enable the antialiasing under X11 by patching the libfreetype library, I believe it is called.. If you follow the instructions in that topic the fonts under X11 look a whole lot better afterwards..
tony
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks to all you provided suggestions. I will check them all out, especially the one about neooffice. But I want to see if how good it can look using X11 also. Thanks again!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1